Walking stick / hiking stick / hiking staff - What do you use?

Nope! The mask on the back of your head? The tigers figured it out! I saw a documentary on it! The attack rates went back up on the villagers with the face mask worn on the back of the head.
I'm not surprised . Cats are lots smarter than many people believe . They just don't care to do silly tricks or respond well to punishment . šŸ˜¼

Carrying a pack I like Leki trekking poles. Just hiking I like a wooden hiking pole, or my shepherds cane (5ā€™) which comes in handy at times grabbing branches/brush when the going is steep. Snowshoeing I like nordic poles.

Stick improvement project completed. This is a desert ironwood stick that came from Brazos. It had a poorly fitted Brazos medallion in exactly the wrong spot. I'd taken it out and sanded down the edges of the hole the medallion was set in. But that hole still drove me fruit and it's an otherwise quite nice stick. So I did this earlier today. It meets with Lovey's approval to the point she wants it done to her apple stick. I'm OK with it too.

View attachment 2409124

Hi, my name is Dusky, so named because of my dusky appearance when DirtDawg spotted me near the mouth of Cedar Creek.
That's me, third from the left, between Patch and Liberty.
20231128_094849-E14-DDS.jpg

This is how I looked as I emerged from the leaf cover in the creekbed that day. I was pretty homely looking here, and wondered if anyone would ever discover me. But look at me now, out from under cover and getting some late afternoon rays.
20231113_145229-C-DDS.jpg

I was so happy to meet DirtDawg, that I followed him back to his Jeep.
20231113_152217-E-DDS.jpg

As you can see here, I was pretty crusty from drifting downstream in the creek over the past few years. Well, I think it's been a few years anyway, I sort of lost track of time. It has been quite a journey to this point. Heck, it's been so long, I can't recall, but I'm quite sure my bloodline is Sycamore.
20231113_152307-E14-DDS.jpg

Oh well, DirtDawg strapped me to the roof rack and off we went to his backyard, where I promptly got a sound scrubbing with soap and water. Oh that scrub brush felt good.
20231114_120353-DDS.jpg

Take note! I've never had a saw, a hatchet, a knife, or anything besides a scrub brush tarnish my natural state, as can be witnessed by viewing these shots of my Top and Toe. I was hoping at this point that DirtDawg would preserve my natural state as much as possible. After all, I believe I'm about the perfect height as I am, and I like me the way I am. Contrary to popular belief, not all sticks need to be runway models.
20231114_162014-E14-E-DDS-Collage.jpg

After a very light rubdown with a Scotch-Brite pad (just to smooth some of my rough edges) and a wipedown with an old flannel shirt, I got jazzed up a bit with some epoxy to protect my tender parts (Top & Toe), and a half dozen coats of Polycrylic to bring out my hidden beauty. And hey, my natural state was pretty much preserved too.Yay!
20231124_104849-E14-C-DDS-Collage-Compressed.jpg

No lanyard was attached because DirtDawg and I decided that it wasn't really necessary. However, a few applications of Shoe Goo to my Toe was in order to prevent premature wear.
20231127_163645-E14-DDS.jpg

And, as if all that wasn't enough, I also got branded with a date. Well, not really branded, but marked with a pencil, under the Polycrylic.
20231125_092739-E14-DDS.jpg

I was then placed against the wall for a group photo (see above), where I will rest until we go out together for a saunter in nature.

I'm sure glad DirtDawg didn't cut me up with that Buck knife he totes around quite regularly.
DSCF7504-E14-E-DDS.jpg

Post Script by DirtDawg: This is a very sound stick and should make a great trail partner for years to come. It was an adventure of sorts, and I'm very pleased with the way Dusky turned out.

Nope! The mask on the back of your head? The tigers figured it out! I saw a documentary on it! The attack rates went back up on the villagers with the face mask worn on the back of the head.
Thanks for the heads up. I will avoid Bengal and Siberia.

Dasylirion Wheeleri (Sotol) is my choice. The stalk can be 3/4" to about 2" normally. Easily 10' or more.
Easily cut to the length you prefer. I like mine around 6'. Very light so easy to carry on long hikes.
I confess, I had to look that up. Do you have any photos to share?

dasylirion wheeleri (Sotol)
NqKbPXw.jpg

FJDxdn3.jpg

zLqqeaw.jpg

This stick is 7 feet tall and weighs 5.5 ounces. The top is about 1 inch wide and the bottom 1.5.
Its at least 10 years old. All did was cut off the ends and used my knife to scrape off the leaves.
You could easily sand it and coat it with shellac or some such.

dasylirion wheeleri (Sotol)
NqKbPXw.jpg

FJDxdn3.jpg

zLqqeaw.jpg

This stick is 7 feet tall and weighs 5.5 ounces. The top is about 1 inch wide and the bottom 1.5.
Its at least 10 years old. All did was cut off the ends and used my knife to scrape off the leaves.
You could easily sand it and coat it with shellac or some such.
That's a right handsome lookin' stick. And at 5.5 oz, a real lightweight too. Thank you for sharing the photos.

Last edited:
These are some of the sticks Iā€™ve made and used over the years. I cut and hang them in my basement to dry for a year before I work on them, I like to finish them with black enamel paint, spray polyurethane, and a rubber cap.
IMG_9028.jpeg

These are some of the sticks Iā€™ve made and used over the years. I cut and hang them in my basement to dry for a year before I work on them, I like to finish them with black enamel paint, spray polyurethane, and a rubber cap.
View attachment 2426191
Those are some right handsome sticks. I always enjoy viewing what others have done with a length of naturally formed wood.

Back