Walking stick / hiking stick / hiking staff - What do you use?

You can fool a low IQ Puma by wearing a full face mask on the back of your head. It won’t be able to identify your “blind “ side. Works for Tigers too.
I know this to be true in tiger country . :cool:

I would want something a little more than just that . :oops:

Hickory, and I added the leather wrap:

ipzsz6.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer wood, myself. When I get home, and if I think of it, I'll take a couple pictures.

I like to carve them, and I like that they're all unique.

The aluminum telescopic ones are probably the most optimal choice, but it just doesn't have any soul. A wooden stick grew somewhere, and there's always a story about how I happened upon it.

Meet Liberty - A Trail Companion - Cedar

Tailwaters of Quincy Bay - Mississippi River

20230114_135950 Collage-B-T-DDS.jpg

Another Loyal Trail Companion...
Rock River - Ogle County, Illinois
20180508_123647-C-E14-B-DDS.jpg

Although I have a pair of old nordic ski poles for walking on ice and snow, my distinct preference is wood. The cedar staff above was carved and gifted to me by a friend. I can only wish to have that talent.

I've carried and used this thing for over 30 years now. The fork is a perfect thumb rest and makes for a comfortable grip. The fork is also amazingly handy reaching things in the bed of the truck. It's hickory. I cut it one day while mushroom hunting around Truman Lake. It has served me well and is in the truck all the time.
View attachment 2398671

I made this one for my wife recently. It's apple. View attachment 2398674

I've carried and used this thing for over 30 years now. The fork is a perfect thumb rest and makes for a comfortable grip. The fork is also amazingly handy reaching things in the bed of the truck. It's hickory. I cut it one day while mushroom hunting around Truman Lake. It has served me well and is in the truck all the time.
View attachment 2398671

I made this one for my wife recently. It's apple. View attachment 2398674
Very nice, both of them. However, the beautiful coloration of that apple is some kinda sweet eye candy.

That is a beautiful work of art ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would have trouble using it much , for fear of ruining .
Thanks, it truly is a work of art. My wife thought I was nuts when I headed out the door with it the first time. I figured that he made it to use, not to sit in a corner and collect dust. I did add a piece of 1" thick Urethane/Polyurethane sheet to the tip for wear resistance, and I thought the staff was about an inch short for my liking. It is a deep red/maroon color to blend with the wood color, and I contoured it to match the shape of the tip. I also have a padded, drawstring bag I put over the head to protect it in transit.

Thanks, it truly is a work of art. My wife thought I was nuts when I headed out the door with it the first time. I figured that he made it to use, not to sit in a corner and collect dust. I did add a piece of 1" thick Urethane/Polyurethane sheet to the tip for wear resistance, and I thought the staff was about an inch short for my liking. It is a deep red/maroon color to blend with the wood color, and I contoured it to match the shape of the tip. I also have a padded, drawstring bag I put over the head to protect it in transit.
Photo added...20231122_114758-E14-Collage-DDS.jpg

Very nice, both of them. However, the beautiful coloration of that apple is some kinda sweet eye candy.
It seasoned for a year in the weather before I started it. Made it a little harder to get the bark off and sanded smooth. BLO after. I'm happy with the way it turned out. She claimed it before I did a little grip work and put the loop on it. Thanks for the kind words.

I prefer wood, myself. When I get home, and if I think of it, I'll take a couple pictures.

I like to carve them, and I like that they're all unique.

The aluminum telescopic ones are probably the most optimal choice, but it just doesn't have any soul. A wooden stick grew somewhere, and there's always a story about how I happened upon it.
Ref: "and there's always a story about how I happened upon it."
I always enjoy reading the stories of how someone discovered a knife or stick, as well as viewing photos of said items. I do look forward to the time when you share with us. It's the next best thing to picking up a dated Field & Stream magazine with dog-eared pages.

Walker & the Bear

1980-ish LB7 Uncle Henry Bear Paw
...and a walking stick I worked up from a deadfall branch with my Buck 703 back in 1986.

A friend gifted the LB7 to me a couple of years back, and I'm finally getting around to spiffing it up some. It looks to have never been sharpened, and maybe never even used. However, it spent a lot of time in the sheath over the years - likely a 1980-ish model, but I'm not sure - S/N T8938.
20231124_141224-E14-DDS-Compressed.jpg

Knives and Sticks - They just seem to go together.
20231124_141228-E14-DDS.jpg

Last edited:
Walker & the Bear

1980-ish LB7 Uncle Henry Bear Paw
...and a walking stick I worked up from a deadfall branch with my Buck 703 back in 1986.

A friend gifted the LB7 to me a couple of years back, and I'm finally getting around to spiffing it up some. It looks to have never been sharpened, and maybe never even used. However, it spent a lot of time in the sheath over the years - likely a 1980-ish model, but I'm not sure - S/N T8938.
View attachment 2404779

Knives and Sticks - They just seem to go together.
View attachment 2404778
Wowsa to both the knife and the stick!

Some very nice looking sticks! I have several. Started with a Shovel Handle in Hickory, 49 inches long. Right now in my bedroom, as I had a left knee replacement and if needed provides a Third Leg for balance. Then a very good friend, Side Hill Gougher, brought back a walking stick from South Africa, 37 inches long made from Stink wood, also known as Cape Olive or Laurel. Got a French Army Mountain walking stick, either hazel or Hawthorne, cannot remember which one, that is 44 inches long. Had a metal tip, so wrapped it in 100 MPH tape until I could put a small crutch tip on it. Next is a Carbon Fiber one from Shakespeare, who not only make fishing rods, but also make flexible antennas for our Military. They were giving them away at a Military Trade Show I was working and is 47 1/2 inches long. The one I use the most is a laminated wooden walking stick, my daughters got me for Christmas many years ago from Duluth Hardware. About 23 laminations and slightly curved. About 50 1/2 inches long and I have no idea how many times I have been stopped and had people comment what a good looking walking stick it is. John

When I graduated High School, my classmates and teachers said I would never make anything of myself. They said I'd never be anything.
Yet here I am, rockin' it as a budding rabologist. I'll show them! Heh-Heh.

From left to right:
Walker - 1986 - Unknown Wood
Patch - 2023 - American Sycamore (raw state)
Dusky - 2023 - American Sycamore Driftwood (more on Dusky to follow)
Liberty - 2009 - Cedar (gifted to me by a friend - I did not make this one)
Un-named - 1986 - Unknown Wood (hard and strong)
Baldy - 2023 - Bald Cypress
Walker, Baldy, and Dusky have Shoe Goo tips for a much improved grip on most surfaces. Note! I've not tested them on ice and snow yet.
20231128_094849-E14-DDS.jpg

Maybe it's time to break out the Whittler...
20180706_092756-E14-B-DDS.jpg

I know this to be true in tiger country . :cool:

I would want something a little more than just that . :oops:
Nope! The mask on the back of your head? The tigers figured it out! I saw a documentary on it! The attack rates went back up on the villagers with the face mask worn on the back of the head.

Back