We were all new here once

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes new members don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach new members a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

UPDATE: It's been over 8 years since I started this thread, and I thought it was time for an update.

When I started this thread back in 2012, new members were sometimes treated a bit rough. But things have changed since then. These days most active members are eager to help new members. So I don't want you to get the impression that you're entering a lions den where the members are just waiting to bite your head off. I think you'll find the vast majority of members to be friendly and helpful. So welcome, and enjoy :).
Thank you. I like my knife and just wanted to know if it was garbage since I've been told that more than once.

Thank you. I like my knife and just wanted to know if it was garbage since I've been told that more than once.

Welcome to Bladeforums sandee.

Here's my advice- start a thread here in General Discussion and ask for any information people might have on your knife. But don't ask for dollar value because that is against the rules for people at your membership level on this forum.

To start a thread of your own, click on the orange "Post Thread" button in the upper right corner of the screen on the first page of any sub-forum, like here in General Discussion.

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes new members don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach new members a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

UPDATE: It's been over 8 years since I started this thread, and I thought it was time for an update.

When I started this thread back in 2012, new members were sometimes treated a bit rough. But things have changed since then. These days most active members are eager to help new members. So I don't want you to get the impression that you're entering a lions den where the members are just waiting to bite your head off. I think you'll find the vast majority of members to be friendly and helpful. So welcome, and enjoy :).
Being new I'm going to ask what some will think is a stupid question. Anybody out there have personal knowledge about Vortek, and Oerla Knives? Saw them on EBAY, and AMAZON but cant find posts on them by any of the more reputable reviewers.

Being new I'm going to ask what some will think is a stupid question. Anybody out there have personal knowledge about Vortek, and Oerla Knives? Saw them on EBAY, and AMAZON but cant find posts on them by any of the more reputable reviewers.

Not a stupid question.

Both are very inexpensive brands of knives made in China.

Are they worth looking into for something to carry for construction jobs?

Although I have no experience with either brand, I do own and have used other inexpensive Chinese knives that served me well, including one in particular that I used in construction. After using an expensive fixed-blade on construction jobs for several years, and after dropping it on concrete one day, I switched to a much cheaper knife that I didn't care about ruining.

The steels used by both of those brands are at the low end of the the scale (Chinese D2 is questionable), but as long as they have a decent heat treatment they could serve just fine as cutting tools. The would just require more frequent sharpening than higher grades of steel.

Last edited:
Although I have no experience with either brand, I do own and have used other inexpensive Chinese knives that served me well, including one in particular that I used in construction. After using an expensive fixed-blade on construction jobs for several years, and after dropping it on concrete one day, I switched to a much cheaper knife that I didn't care about ruining.

The steels used by both of those brands are at the low end of the the scale (Chinese D2 is questionable), but as long as they have a decent heat treatment they could serve just fine as cutting tools. The would just require more frequent sharpening than higher grades of steel.
Thanks for the input

We were all new here once
Funny, I find myself in the odd position of being able to say "I'm new here twice"'. I (Bohica1998) used to be here all the time until sometime around 2009 or so. Due to real life struggles I had to quit buying, trading, selling, etc. Now after a very long absence, I am back. I don't remember my old password and the email I used to have is no longer valid (so a lost password/reset password message would never reach me). So, I have to start all over again - and relearn what I need to know about the forum here. Which means I may be one of those asking some of those 'stupid questions'.

Hi, my name’s Ted aka TheMadHungarian. I’ve been collecting and using knives for nearly 60 years.

I collect everything and anything related to cutlery. I’m more of a knife accumulator or as I’ve been referred to by people who know me as a “Knife Knut”

I’ve been around BFC for a little while now so some of you may recognize me and I’m hoping to be a contributing member of this community.

Thanks for letting me in.

lol ive been on the forum a few years keep forgetting bout it lol since i stay in my knife groups on fb alot more

Welcome, Gary...but this is General Knife Discussion & you didn't say anything about a knife. Pictures are better (obviously); but you're obligated to to at least mention a knife - your favorite, most recent purchase, what's in your pocket RIGHT NOW, whatever

Back