We were all new here once

Hello from Santa Fe NM. I've been collecting and trading knives since I was about 12 (I'm now in my late seventies) so not new to 'em. Have been a member of other knife/blade/sharp-thingy forums, just not this one.

My primary interest is in fixed-blade knives and I have several "sub-collections" such as US Military, double-edged, survival, big-ol' chopper, etc. Some favorite brands include Blackjack, Bark River and others.

Regards to all,

-- Choctaw Dan 😁

Hello from Santa Fe NM. I've been collecting and trading knives since I was about 12 (I'm now in my late seventies) so not new to 'em. Have been a member of other knife/blade/sharp-thingy forums, just not this one.

My primary interest is in fixed-blade knives and I have several "sub-collections" such as US Military, double-edged, survival, big-ol' chopper, etc. Some favorite brands include Blackjack, Bark River and others.

Regards to all,

-- Choctaw Dan 😁
Howdy Choctaw Dan, from Rio Rancho.

Hello to the recent new members! I’ve been on Bladeforums for over a decade and find it incredibly educational. There are many wonderful, knowledgeable individuals here who take their valuable time to educate those of us who are in desperate need of information or are just plain curious.
I was going to greet each of you individually but decided this would be better on so many levels 😂.
I don’t post much but I read a lot (often I forget to sign in when I get logged out) and I really have learned to appreciate the vast wealth of knowledge here. I find there’s usually someone with more knowledge than I have willing to contribute, so I find that personally I listen more than I speak. But I really enjoy reading the information the community has on hand. My wife is afraid every time she sees me here (she thinks knife collecting is an illness) but she’s pretty understanding. 😉

I hope you have a wonderful experience and stick around, maybe contributing a comment or even a review here or there. Anyhow, welcome.

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes new members don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach new members a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

UPDATE: It's been over 8 years since I started this thread, and I thought it was time for an update.

When I started this thread back in 2012, new members were sometimes treated a bit rough. But things have changed since then. These days most active members are eager to help new members. So I don't want you to get the impression that you're entering a lions den where the members are just waiting to bite your head off. I think you'll find the vast majority of members to be friendly and helpful. So welcome, and enjoy :).
I truly hope the results are what you articulated. I spend a lot of time on a bass players forum and it distinguishes itself by everyone being patient and helpful. I’m new here but been around edged weapons/tools for the better part of my life and even so, I don’t know everything. I look to this place for dialogue in learning more.✌️

From my point of view, my husband was a keen collector of knives, he passed away. I am now working my way through over 100 knives, it ain’t easy, I can be researching one knife for hours. Sometimes Google lense helps, or if the knife has markings that I can use like the blade maker and the part number but the more rare knives are very difficult. None of the knives were in their boxes, they were in a special set of draws on cushions or in a large display, pairing them off with no knowledge was hard.

Pricing to sell is a nightmare, not to undersell and be taken for an idiot or oversell and get ridiculed by some (not all). Some members of the forum are very helpful and I am so grateful for those special people, you are great.

Some days I feel overwhelmed, like I am sinking and to add to the anxiety our Royal Mail in the UK are stopping shipping knives from the end of April. Royal Mail are great as they come and pick the parcels up which helps me stay in compliance with UK laws.

And then there are the knives that, in my humble opinion, are disguised as keyrings and funny square looking objects. And what about the, what I call, jewlry on the end of the string should I research its worth ?? Prior to selling the knives I have never sent anything outside of the UK, the addressing system is very different in the US, for example, than the UK, and customs is a bit scary but I have been honest and, so far, all parcels (50 approx) have arrived in the USA without any issues.

Then there is Forum etiquette, my brain is already near to bursting lol 😂 sorry admins, I have to say you have all been very patient with me 💙 thank you. Well that’s my thoughts.

IMG_1615.jpegIMG_1565.jpegIMG_1560.jpegIMG_0694.jpeg

From my point of view, my husband was a keen collector of knives, he passed away. I am now working my way through over 100 knives, it ain’t easy, I can be researching one knife for hours. Sometimes Google lense helps, or if the knife has markings that I can use like the blade maker and the part number but the more rare knives are very difficult. None of the knives were in their boxes, they were in a special set of draws on cushions or in a large display, pairing them off with no knowledge was hard.

Pricing to sell is a nightmare, not to undersell and be taken for an idiot or oversell and get ridiculed by some (not all). Some members of the forum are very helpful and I am so grateful for those special people, you are great.

Some days I feel overwhelmed, like I am sinking and to add to the anxiety our Royal Mail in the UK are stopping shipping knives from the end of April. Royal Mail are great as they come and pick the parcels up which helps me stay in compliance with UK laws.

And then there are the knives that, in my humble opinion, are disguised as keyrings and funny square looking objects. And what about the, what I call, jewlry on the end of the string should I research its worth ?? Prior to selling the knives I have never sent anything outside of the UK, the addressing system is very different in the US, for example, than the UK, and customs is a bit scary but I have been honest and, so far, all parcels (50 approx) have arrived in the USA without any issues.

Then there is Forum etiquette, my brain is already near to bursting lol 😂 sorry admins, I have to say you have all been very patient with me 💙 thank you. Well that’s my thoughts.

View attachment 2503048View attachment 2503049View attachment 2503050View attachment 2503051
First off, I’m very sorry for your loss. This must be a very difficult process for you. That being said, i think you’re going through it exactly the right way, as painstaking as that may be.

Regarding the ‘jewelry’, most of the time they’re commonly available beads. If you do a search for ‘lanyard beads’, you’ll see thousands come up like what you’ve shown. Custom lanyards - and those beads attached - will sometimes add a little value to a knife, but nothing really significant.

Unfortunately, I’m no help at all at identifying those ‘disguised’ knives, but maybe someone else here can help figure out what they are.

The only other thing I’d suggest is getting a gold membership here - that will open up an ocean of knowledge that you can tap into for evaluating your collection. That will also allow you to sell them here on the Exchange if you decide to sell. Good luck!

I
First off, I’m very sorry for your loss. This must be a very difficult process for you. That being said, i think you’re going through it exactly the right way, as painstaking as that may be.

Regarding the ‘jewelry’, most of the time they’re commonly available beads. If you do a search for ‘lanyard beads’, you’ll see thousands come up like what you’ve shown. Custom lanyards - and those beads attached - will sometimes add a little value to a knife, but nothing really significant.

Unfortunately, I’m no help at all at identifying those ‘disguised’ knives, but maybe someone else here can help figure out what they are.

The only other thing I’d suggest is getting a gold membership here - that will open up an ocean of knowledge that you can tap into for evaluating your collection. That will also allow you to sell them here on the Exchange if you decide to sell. Good luck!

Regards to all,

-- Choctaw Dan 😁
Hello and welcome from a native New Mexican!

View attachment 2503048View attachment 2503049View attachment 2503050View attachment 2503051
I’m very sorry for your loss— nothing prepares one for the loss of a spouse. Managing the personal possessions of a lost loved one is often painfully difficult for a variety of reasons. I wish you all the best in your efforts, and hopefully this forum will be both helpful and accommodating to you.
Allan

My condolences. Truly, one of life’s most difficult times.

First a word to collectors. Label your treasures. Value and who gets what will go far to lessen your heirs burden in a time of grief and healing.

Know you’re not alone. We live where Zippos & Case knives are made. To find a pen, in a drawer, you literally had to dig through knives & lighters. Many boxed “collectible” things..and the coins!! Mama Mia!
I understand the literal nightmare of research.
You might look for a reputable auction house. The more it goes for, the more they make.
In an auction, the bidders will know a fair market price.
The cost to the auctioneer will, in my mind, offset the problems of research, advertising & shipping. Not to mention scoundrels encountered in on line sales.
Best of luck and hang tuff.

My condolences. Truly, one of life’s most difficult times.

First a word to collectors. Label your treasures. Value and who gets what will go far to lessen your heirs burden in a time of grief and healing.

Know you’re not alone. We live where Zippos & Case knives are made. To find a pen, in a drawer, you literally had to dig through knives & lighters. Many boxed “collectible” things..and the coins!! Mama Mia!
I understand the literal nightmare of research.
You might look for a reputable auction house. The more it goes for, the more they make.
In an auction, the bidders will know a fair market price.
The cost to the auctioneer will, in my mind, offset the problems of research, advertising & shipping. Not to mention scoundrels encountered in on line sales.
Best of luck and hang tuff.
Very good words, and a good tip for those collectors out there please leave information alongside your treasures :)

Thank you

Back