We were all new here once

stop-it-stop.gif
……what this man said !

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes new members don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach new members a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

UPDATE: It's been over 8 years since I started this thread, and I thought it was time for an update.

When I started this thread back in 2012, new members were sometimes treated a bit rough. But things have changed since then. These days most active members are eager to help new members. So I don't want you to get the impression that you're entering a lions den where the members are just waiting to bite your head off. I think you'll find the vast majority of members to be friendly and helpful. So welcome, and enjoy :).
As a newer member, becoming increasingly more active (I just posted my first post moments ago) I got a warm and inviting feeling from this. You are so right about so many things. I am very thankful that there is a community of like minded individuals that can come together and give advice, comment on new purchases or trades, share in our excitement or even just give good feedback/advice. Thanks for taking your time and posting again with an update. This was nice for me to see.

As a newer member, becoming increasingly more active (I just posted my first post moments ago) I got a warm and inviting feeling from this. You are so right about so many things. I am very thankful that there is a community of like minded individuals that can come together and give advice, comment on new purchases or trades, share in our excitement or even just give good feedback/advice. Thanks for taking your time and posting again with an update. This was nice for me to see.

Welcome to Bladeforums CarryORBury, and thank you for the kind words. :)

Welcome to Bladeforums CarryORBury, and thank you for the kind words. :)
Thank you my kind Sir. I look forward to contributing any way I am able. I’m the mean time it’s so awesome to see the history, the collaborative insights and the knowledge in these pages. Thank you again for your part in it and for taking the time to welcome me :) I look forward to getting to know you and others more.

Welcome! Got any early wares you’d like to show off?
After seeing some of the makers on this forum not sure I'm worthy...but here is a slightly older fixed blade sodbuster (my first full convex) done freehand. I have since gotten a better grinder, made a better heat treat oven, and moved to pins/jig which has helped a ton. Mostly with the time it takes for each.

As you can tell I have lots to learn here lol

IMG-20210217-193800294.jpg

After seeing some of the makers on this forum not sure I'm worthy...but here is a slightly older fixed blade sodbuster (my first full convex) done freehand. I have since gotten a better grinder, made a better heat treat oven, and moved to pins/jig which has helped a ton. Mostly with the time it takes for each.

Nice work, welcome!

Everybody had to start somewhere! And that looks pretty nice, especially for an early effort. And there will always, always be more to learn. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes new members don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach new members a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

UPDATE: It's been over 8 years since I started this thread, and I thought it was time for an update.

When I started this thread back in 2012, new members were sometimes treated a bit rough. But things have changed since then. These days most active members are eager to help new members. So I don't want you to get the impression that you're entering a lions den where the members are just waiting to bite your head off. I think you'll find the vast majority of members to be friendly and helpful. So welcome, and enjoy :).
tureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I don’t know if this is the right place but I had a question. I just purchased the Gayle Bradley 2 it’s been a grail of mine for a long time and I was super happy it was back in stock and ordered immediately. It was delivered today and the grind on the blade is uneven not to bad mostly except for the show side belly is pretty deep. So much so sharpening it even would chew a lot of the brand new knife up. I love Spyderco they are my absolute favorite brand and I’ve never had this issue before. Even my factory seconds had great grinds on them. All of this to say will Spyderco help me out and replace my knife? I have no experience with QC issues with Spyderco.

Call them: it never hurts to ask. 👍
Congratulations on finding your Grail knife!

I don’t know if this is the right place but I had a question. I just purchased the Gayle Bradley 2 it’s been a grail of mine for a long time and I was super happy it was back in stock and ordered immediately. It was delivered today and the grind on the blade is uneven not to bad mostly except for the show side belly is pretty deep. So much so sharpening it even would chew a lot of the brand new knife up. I love Spyderco they are my absolute favorite brand and I’ve never had this issue before. Even my factory seconds had great grinds on them. All of this to say will Spyderco help me out and replace my knife? I have no experience with QC issues with Spyderco.
Welcome to the forum! You may post this in the Spyderco specific forum. However, before you do, and assuming you have not altered the knife in any way, I would suggest seeing if the retailer through which you purchased may facilitate a straight exchange. Some retailers will take the knife out of the box and check the grind for you when they send the replacement. If the retailer does not have sufficient stock, perhaps you could return it and look for another retailer with stock to purchase.

Without knowing what the actual grind looks like, I can't say whether I would accept the knife as is, but if this is important to you, it may be easier to try the method above rather than having Spyderco warranty it. Good luck!

Back