We were all new here once

Hi! This is my first post, but I've been reading posts on Blade Forums daily for a little over a year. I've been slowly getting into knives and have purchased quite a few over the last year. I'm a 43 year old gal who lives in Texas, and knives are fairly commonplace here. I have greatly enjoyed learning from the various posts and members here. I've acquired the bulk of my knife knowledge here! Recently I've learned a lot from a member called Dogstar. I love his posts here and YouTube videos. I'm really interested in his philosophy of knives. I'm learning that I'm a bit of a minimalist, prefer high value blades that won't break the bank, and like smaller blades. I have bought a few knives I regret and have learned from. For instance, I now realize that the Kershaw Blur and Spyderco Tenacious are not for me. I have learned that for the most part Spydercos, Byrds, and Kershaws aren't for me, although I like my Skyline, Dragonfly, and Meadowlark 2. Instead I tend to favor traditionals, like Case, Buck, and Opinels. I'm really looking forward to learning more about traditionals especially. Having said that, I received a Kabar Dozier in the mail today, which I really like! I absolutely had to experience this high value, inexpensive blade! Right now I have my eye on a Buck 501 next. Anyway, I'm happy to finally be a part of Blade Forums. Thanks for having me!

Howdy Yawl,

CCT Mic here. Which stands for Cedar Creek Texas Mic. Which is short for Cedar Creek Texas Michael. That would be me. I'm knew to this forum and it's information. I'm not so new at knives. I have quite a few using knives and a couple "On the Shelf" handed down to my son knives that have not been used. The usual WWI and II knives from heroes and enemies as well as the standard knives from Solingen Germany, Puma, Eye Brand and a few of the Western knives from Colorado. My modest collection is only great to my son and myself. But we like it.

I joined this forum in an effort to learn how to make knives. I have a Peter Write anvil and a few blacksmith tools in the barn that haven't been used in some years. I have recently acquired a steel table with a 1/2" top that I plan on setting a coal pan and blower on. Still working on it.

I've been looking through this site for a while now and am really floored by some of the knives you guy are making. Beautiful! Just Beautiful workmanship. That's what I want to do but not just with the standard pig sticker and hunting knife, but also with the old reliable single blade folding knife with the round wood handle. I like the way the old fellers built a knife. Solid to last a lifetime.

I've got a lot more to read and understand from yawls knowledge your willing to share. Step up right now and tell you all Thanks a Bunch! If's it's all the same to ya, when I see something I want to learn a little more about I'd like to send you a private message to ask you about it. Fair warning, I ask a lot of questions.

I'll keep reading and looking. Just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm here.

Thank yawl again~!

Mic

This is my first day on Blade Forums. I am from Cypress, TX, just outside of Houston. While I have been a knife fan most of my life, I have really got into it in the last year or so. Amazon took a lot of my money in those months, and, recently, I have been trolling Craigslist and letgo. :)

I look forward to being a part of this community and learning.

Been lurking for a while and figured it was time to get my intro out of the way, lol. New to "real" EDC knives. Live in Colorado, about 30 mins from Spyderco however don't own one, don't care for the "hole" look. Bought a couple benchmade's so far. Have been getting by for 20 years with a Victorinox classic sd, and a Buck 112 for 40 years up till a few months ago. Also getting into sharpening, bought a sharpmaker and an edgepro for kitchen cutlery but haven't needed to do more then touch up the BM's with the SM, kinda scared to put them on the EP yet, lol. Anyway, Hello from Aurora Colorado!

Hello,

I have been using Bladeforums as a resource for some time now, and I've decided to sign up so that I can participate actively.
I look forward to sharing in the knowledge and enthusiasm of the knife community.

-Pericles

Welcome all to BF . There is something for evryone one here. Be it making or modding a knife, or getting info. on a knife you are considering buying. Or if you are just looking for a smile you may find it in the Whine an Cheese forum. Again WELCOME to BF.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding.

Well said, Sir ! I happen to fit the criteria you speak of so thanks for making this a little easier.

I am fairly knew to the knife world, obviously, but I have exponentially increased my knowledge over the past year due to research, gun shows, and probably most importantly reading this forum. (total lurker till this moment) So thank you to all of you who share your knowledge and wisdom here.

To the point. (pun intended) I began researching fixed blades first. My first purchase was a TOPS Silent Hero.

tphero01.jpg

I perceived this knife to be a good work size blade capable of handling most any task in the Mountains.

My second purchase was an ESEE 4.

RC4PMBDTanw.jpg

This was my choice for handling most day hike adventure chores, and tasks on my property.

Next I turned my attention to finding the perfect blade for work/EDC use. (I'm in security/EMT)

I wanted this blade to be a trusted friend, and capable ally. So a few days ago after reading all I could find (a lot of it here at BF) on folder/pocket knives I took the plunge.

The blade is in the mail, and should arrive tomorrow. giggedy

So anyhow... I was hoping maybe some of you could give me some feedback if I have chosen wisely or not. (on this or my previous investments)

Tomorrow around this time I should be receiving a Kizer Intrepid.

IMG_5565.jpg~original

maxresdefault.jpg

From every thing I could find on this knife it seemed to be the best deal on the market right now. Several of the reviews I watched on YouTube claimed that this blade held its own vs knives that cost twice as much. From fit-n-finish to materials it seemed unanimous that all agreed this was a heck of a blade/deal. I love the look of the knife, and at $220 it was as far as I was willing to go on my first folder purchase.

A question for those that are still with me here:

I went with the top end model due to wanting to hand this knife down one day, and for my own personal satisfaction, but... is the vanguard version of this knife the wiser purchase ? At $86 dollars it seems you can almost get the same performance. (at least from a noobs perspective) Or will this model outshine the vanguard version to a degree worth the investment ? Titanium handles and s35vn steel -vs- g10 handles and vg10 steel. I'm not sure if the bearings are made of the same material or not ?

I was really torn between making the "this is what I want," and the "this is all I need" decision between the two. I'm sure all of you have had to make that same decision before so curious how you rationalize your decisions. I simply decided that if I was going to take the plunge I might as well get both feet wet.

Thanks for any input, fellas. I really have enjoyed lurking here for some time now, and I look forward to trying to contribute here if I ever gain the knowledge to do so. :cheers:

Welcome to the forum 8PowHounD8. It's nice to have you join in.

Although I have no experience with those particular knives, they certainly look like some good choices.

For a wider range of opinions, and to hear from people who have experience with those particular knives, I would start a thread down below asking about those specific knives and brands, that way more people will see your questions. :)

Thanks for the welcome !

Yeah afterward I was thinking this may not be the right thread however this forum is intimidatingly huge. lol Not sure where or how to do anything here yet, and from past experiences on other boards a noob does not dare begin a thread within first 20 post or so. ha

Thanks for the welcome !

Yeah afterward I was thinking this may not be the right thread however this forum is intimidatingly huge. lol Not sure where or how to do anything here yet, and from past experiences on other boards a noob does not dare begin a thread within first 20 post or so. ha
To start a new thread, on the first page of the General Knife Discussion, under the Bladeforums logo in the upper right hand corner of the screen, there is a blue "button" that says "+ Post New Thread", just click on that, enter a thread title in the appropriate box, type out your post in the appropriate box, and click "Submit New Thread".

Things were a bit rough on Bladeforums back when I started this thread, and new members got beat up a bit (which prompted me to start this thread), but things are much better and much more friendlier now. No one will give you a hard time for starting a thread when you're brand new around here.

The only time new members receive a harsh response is when they are aggressive in their demeanor and/or unfairly harsh and disrespectful in their opinions, like saying "I hate (knife brand), their quality sucks ", or "It's stupid to spend that much money on a knife", etc, etc.

As long as new members treat others, and their taste in knives with basic respect, they are welcomed with open arms. This same basic "rule" applies to long-time members as well. :)

A question for those that are still with me here:

I went with the top end model due to wanting to hand this knife down one day, and for my own personal satisfaction, but... is the vanguard version of this knife the wiser purchase ? At $86 dollars it seems you can almost get the same performance. (at least from a noobs perspective) Or will this model outshine the vanguard version to a degree worth the investment ? Titanium handles and s35vn steel -vs- g10 handles and vg10 steel. I'm not sure if the bearings are made of the same material or not ?

I was really torn between making the "this is what I want," and the "this is all I need" decision between the two. I'm sure all of you have had to make that same decision before so curious how you rationalize your decisions. I simply decided that if I was going to take the plunge I might as well get both feet wet.

Thanks for any input, fellas. I really have enjoyed lurking here for some time now, and I look forward to trying to contribute here if I ever gain the knowledge to do so. :cheers:

Welcome to BF, 8Pow. I was just reading killgar's Sticky, jumped to the end, and found your post. I am relatively new here myself, having joined less than two years ago after lurking for some time. I'm in my second year with a paid Gold subscription.

As you are aware, Kizer is a Chinese company and there are those who take exception to things not Made in the USA or particularly those Made in China. Kizer quality is quite good and I have no problem owning a few MiCh blades. The Spyderco Value Series--Tenacious, etc--is made over there as are CRKTs, Reates and a few other decent brands. I've carried a pocket knife most of my life, but the Tenacious was my "gateway" knife into higher quality modern folders and has started an obsession that has now reached Shirogorv proportions. You have jumped into a deeper part of the pool than I did for your first folder ($220 vs $35), but you have not chosen badly.

There are other great choices in that price range, and I would suggest you also look at Spyderco, Benchmade, and ZT for starters. Hard to go wrong there. However, the knife you chose is a collaboration with the renowned Ray Laconico and is one of the better flippers I have handled. My son bought the $85 G10/VG10 model, loves it, and bought me one for my birthday. Nice knife, but I find VG10 rolls over and chips easily. I bought him the model you picked up here on the Exchange at a very good price and it's a helluva knife. The S35VN blade takes a wicked sharp edge and the Ti grips are nice. Framelock vs liner lock and Ti vs G10 are personal preferences and selection varies from knife to knife. I have quite a few of both.

If you're trying out different knives, I would strongly suggest shopping on the BF Exchange. I buy the majority of my stuff here. Most all members are honorable and open about the condition of what they're selling. Paypal is a very safe medium of exchange and feedback is easy to check. You can watch for a while to get an idea of a good price point. A paid membership will let you sell any knife that you'd like to move on from.

Starting a thread that actually gets some response has a bit of a learning curve, and I've not yet quite found my rhythm on that score. You could search your knife here, find a thread that includes it, and post away. Get to know some of our members and let them get to know you.

Again, Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome, Chazz. I also appreciate the well thought out response to my question; that helps a great deal.

I'm already looking at a Zero Tolerance 0801 on sale for $150. I would have liked to find this deal a week ago as I have already bought the Kizer Intrepid, but I'm not sure it would really make any difference as it seems I have caught the sickness that spreads on this forum.

Anyhow the ZT0801 is about the same size, but has an ELMAX blade. Any thoughts on this model vs Kizer s35vn ? Or am I once again asking questions that do not belong in this thread ? :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome, Chazz. I also appreciate the well thought out response to my question; that helps a great deal.

I'm already looking at a Zero Tolerance 0801 on sale for $150. I would have liked to find this deal a week ago as I have already bought the Kizer Intrepid, but I'm not sure it would really make any difference as it seems I have caught the sickness that spreads on this forum.

Anyhow the ZT0801 is about the same size, but has an ELMAX blade. Any thoughts on this model vs Kizer s35vn ? Or am I once again asking questions that do not belong in this thread ? :D

No worries, 8Pow, though your posts will get more response in a more active thread. There's one over here at http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1415776-Help-sought-from-Zero-Thoughts-Aficionados-in-choosing-first-ZT-please?highlight=0801 that is current and was started by someone looking for recommendations for his first ZT. There's some good guys posting over there and you could bring up that you've bought your Kizer, are looking at an 0801, and solicit some opinions. Certainly would be on topic.

I've got a pimped 0801 and it's a good knife in general and great for mods and decoration. Good flipper, though the Kizer might flip a taste easier. It's my only Elmax knife and I haven't put it to much use or sharpened it yet. I love S35VN, have lots of it, and, while it's edge retention may not match Elmax, it takes a wicked keen edge. My son loves the S35VN in the Kizer I got him.

I'll look for you on that other thread and post a pic and a reply.

Hello everybody, I'm new both in this forum and in the knifes world. I'm here to learn a lot from you guys, I already have while reading some of the threats.

I'm from Costa Rica so English is not my primary language, I apologize for any mistake in this post or any other in the future.

Greetings from North Texas! This is my first post on BF and I'm looking forward to many more. I'm a knifemaker that lives in Dallas and has a shop in Richardson. I joined BF to learn more about what customers want and establish contact with other makers. I'm sure that I'll learn a lot here and I hope that I can help many people along the way too.

Howdy from SWMO! I've been cruising around the forums now for about 2 weeks. Stumbled onto the forums while looking to pick up a replacement Benchmade mini-grip to one I though I had lost (fortunately recovered). I have a 440C mini-grip and wanted to know why I couldn't find one of those any more. Thanks for all thr advice and information that is posted here from members. I appreciate it!

Great Post, thank you from a Newbie xx I promise to be a voyeur and take time to navigate the site since I still have so much to learn. My dad passed and left my mum with a ton of debt and a zillion beautiful knives. I'm helping her do her research on them and what started out as, "Hey mom, can I have this one?" has turned into a well, quite a few and I think my taste is incredible. He had a couple TAT knives, some gorgeous Japanese knives and two William Henry collaborations. There is great knowledge here! xx

Back