What did you rehang today?

JB:
IMG_20170608_222103_zpseyloea3m.jpg

I like using cruisers. My favorite to use is a ridged-eye no name but your Red Warrior there has cool factor.

Nice work!

:thumbsup:

I bet you're right, 300.
If they are the axe is dated between 1922-1943 but what puzzles me is the installation of a conventional wedge in advance of a screw wedge, in this case two of them. jp, did you have to cut a wedge kerf? Two 'tapered screw expanders' makes perfect sense on a large eye but doing this over top of a conventional wedge doesn't. Plumb was a private enterprise not in the business of making lavish (cost-wise) toilet seats for the USAF and was only seeking to reduce assembly costs and the inevitable after sale complaint of loose heads.

Just depends on how far back they actually tempered I suppose. I have a Michigan no name rusting out front that was just shy of what I assume was the original three and a half pounds. Its toe and heel were a little worn but not that much. When it came out of a bath the temper line was very thin. It met at the corners.
Plumbs seem to have a deeper temper than quite a few.

That ax does look quite worn.

Most boys heads that I see are 6" long. This one is 5.5", so hopefully has some useful life left. It's seen lots of use for sure.

Perhaps it looks short in the picture because the top view stops at the toe. You cannot see the full "sweep" if you will of the bit.
The grain orientation on that handle is spectacular now that I look at it.

Perhaps it looks short in the picture because the top view stops at the toe. You cannot see the full "sweep" if you will of the bit.
The grain orientation on that handle is spectacular now that I look at it.

That could be it. It's definitely worn, but at least to my eye it looks very usable. But, I am one of those fairly knowledgeable people that lacks a ton of real world experience.

Back