What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

The Northwoods Madison Barlow was a large curved Barlow. It would be cool to see a curved Barlow in the 3.5-3.75 inch closed size.

Last edited:
I like your dogs, looks like snoopy! Nice knife too
Thanks I got them at a garage sale for $1 lol hard to believe someone put all that work into them little guys to just end up on a table with a $1 price tag on them. So I gave them a home with all my other wood carvings. :D

2HIMqjj.jpg
Still dreaming of finding one of those sawcut clips, really sweet collection!

Found this reproduction from an 1884 Russell catalog.
I've been looking for a nice curved Russell Barlow forever. . . .

russell-catalog-1-jpg.736696

Charlie, I'm curious about the ones labeled as "Iron Handle." Would those have been all-metal with a simulated "jigging" pattern?

I have seen references that state Imperial used the Diamond edge markings from 1960-1967, if that helps any. A nice one!
Thanks for the info. I was surprised it doesn't have half stops. I've only ever own a few TCs from Charlie and the Case & Dimond Edge Barlows I've posted here so I don't know why but I just assumed an old Barlow would have half stops lol. :D

Charlie, I'm curious about the ones labeled as "Iron Handle." Would those have been all-metal with a simulated "jigging" pattern?
Yes, those are all-metal knives! The handle and bolster are one piece, and don't require liners.
Here are a couple;
The top one "The Boy Of" on the mark side, and "America" on the pile, has no other markings, and works OK, but F&F is a bit crude.
The Waterville is beautifully made!!

Iron handled 1.jpg

Back