What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Unadorned Bolsters can be as interesting as those stamped with a logo.
I've posted these Ulsters before but it seems the time to show them again. I was fortunate to find these at a reasonable price as a collection - from a salesman's roll;

Ulster Mints 1.jpg Ulster Mints 2.jpg

I've posted this unadorned Ulster Imperial before, but it wanted to join the new party. :D

Ced9ufh.jpg

Personally, I have always preferred the Barlow pattern in its plainest and purist most unadorned forms. I also like the iron or steel bolsters as was most commonly used back in the day.

Thanks! Mine is the Bog Oak. If I'm not mistaken, the ones in Grenadill aren't numbered on the blade tang and the Bog Oak are. And man do I agree. Great value and very well made! I need to get it in Grenadill too. Which do you prefer since you have both?
I actually like the Grenadill, just because it has a smother texture. The Bog Oak is grainier, at least on mine. But, they really look about the same. Mine did not come very sharp, that is a common occurrence nowadays with many factory knives. They even have the Bog Oak in Damascus but that is a big jump in price. This is my first German knife, and convinces me that Germans know how to make one!

I've posted this unadorned Ulster Imperial before, but it wanted to join the new party. :D

Ced9ufh.jpg
Nice Barlow GE!! Check the tang stamp for me please!?
Personally, I have always preferred the Barlow pattern in its plainest and purist most unadorned forms. I also like the iron or steel bolsters as was most commonly used back in the day.
Bart, I love them all! But I empathize with your appreciation of purity of form!
I wonder if a Guild stamping on a Bolster led to the bolster-stamping tradition?? First picture

Ancient Barlows w stag.jpg

Ancient Barlows w stag piles.jpg

That is a nice one GE, looks to be in pretty good shape.

Charlie, beautiful set of salesman samples and great old Barlows also.

GE, that's a nice Barlow, but it is "double-stamped", with one company stamped over the other!!
Unusual, and definitely worth keeping. I wonder how it got that way???
One of those collector conversation pieces!!
Someone may have replaced the blade??

P.S. are you coming to the Rendezvous?
If so, bring it with you!! I'd love to see it!!

waynorth waynorth Here's the best photo I have of the tang stamp, Charlie. Best I can tell it reads:
Ulster
Knife
Imperial
Prov USA
The word "Imperial" is stamped somewhat over the word "Knife" (or vice versa), and the word "Prov" is my best guess due to how low it is on the tang.
CPXh1md.jpg
Very interesting stamp/s!

waynorth waynorth Here's the best photo I have of the tang stamp, Charlie. Best I can tell it reads:
Ulster
Knife
Imperial
Prov USA
The word "Imperial" is stamped somewhat over the word "Knife" (or vice versa), and the word "Prov" is my best guess due to how low it is on the tang.
CPXh1md.jpg

Always interesting to see odd or double stamps.

Bart, I love them all! But I empathize with your appreciation of purity of form!
I wonder if a Guild stamping on a Bolster led to the bolster-stamping tradition?? First picture
Thank you for indulging me Charlie! Remarkable to have a such nice group from so long ago. I wager that you are correct on the guild stamping origin. Along the same line of thought, I have often wondered when stamping the name "Barlow" into the bolster became the norm for many makers. Any thoughts?

GE, that's a nice Barlow, but it is "double-stamped", with one company stamped over the other!!
Unusual, and definitely worth keeping. I wonder how it got that way???
One of those collector conversation pieces!!
Someone may have replaced the blade??

P.S. are you coming to the Rendezvous?
If so, bring it with you!! I'd love to see it!!

Thanks! Double-stamped is the term that came to mind for me too, Charlie. Is it possible that Imperial could have stamped over some of the blades that Ulster had already stamped, after acquiring the company back in the '40s?

I would love to attend and meet a lot of fine folks, but this summer has my complete and undivided attention with projects around the old house that are eating up my time and money, haha.

Is it possible that Imperial could have stamped over some of the blades that Ulster had already stamped, after acquiring the company back in the '40s?
That would explain the Imperial stamp being lower, using the space after the Ulster stamp had been done. It would perhaps be best characterized as an over-stamp (since it is not simply a doubling of the same stamp).

Thanks! Double-stamped is the term that came to mind for me too, Charlie. Is it possible that Imperial could have stamped over some of the blades that Ulster had already stamped, after acquiring the company back in the '40s?

I would love to attend and meet a lot of fine folks, but this summer has my complete and undivided attention with projects around the old house that are eating up my time and money, haha.

I think Bart has it right - it is more correctly an "overstamp" - I agree!
And your guess of using already made parts is probably right on!
I heard a Schrade expert say that Schrade (in this case Imperial Schrade) never threw anything away.

Salesmans Sample collection- be that Ulsters and darned beautiful ones at that.

Charlie Sir I need you to come round home and do some minor alterations- as I truly do believe you would hear Charlie call out- " Oh look what I found inside your wall Duncan" and it would be some lost but Mint Knife treasure :D

I am blown away with those Barlows Charlie- what stunners and what a joy viewing them. :cool::thumbsup:

Herder my friend- LOVE that Henckels Barlow - that's a smashing Knife right there.

Last edited:
Charlie can I convince you to return to the black sheep barlow idea that came up recently...

I am thinking something like this

zsdwzqZ.jpg

Would be great. A sheepfoot main, a black or brown wane bone sawcut handle. Just perfection.

Well, there is a little Black involved, but probably not as much as you'd like!

label.jpg

There will be Ebony handles, and sawcut bone, but not Black or Brown bone.

Back