Whatcha got on order ?

Opposite for me. USPS is the fastest in my area. UPS the slowest. Fed Ex in between.

Do be aware that UPS hires USPS to make final deliveries on some shipments. I've watched UPS hang up holding a package at one point or another on their tracking system for days, then it gets delivered "late" by USPS. If I hadn't been watching the tracking, I would just have assumed that USPS dropped the ball, but it was UPS that fouled up.

There are also levels of shipping within each system. So if your shipper cheaped out and sent it by ground, it's going to take a while, no matter which service gets it.

I'm well aware of all that (I've been a shipping manager in a past life, and done a lot of shipping for various businesses I've been involved with). But in my area, USPS is invariably the one at fault. They also have far more turnover from what I've seen, so we're continuously working with new people who are just learning the job and then leave.

Probably due to raindeer poop.

I ordered this little 7 inch long " micro hammer " from a Japanese Tool company called Anex, you get a flat steel face a domed steel face a nylon face and a brass face.

I don't normally like composition and rubber grips...etc, but I couldn't find anything else this size that wasn't Chinese junk ( like that Harbor Freight POS )
They're not expensive , but prices are all over the map and it's the shipping from Japan that really gets you.

Last edited:
Just received this "coin purse" from Mean Gene Leather.

ZTZEl9.jpg

A couple more pairs of USGI long johns from Sportsman's guide, and a pair of shearling wool boot insoles from Ithica Sheepskin.

Federalistimo.jpg

Kernshaw Federalist, ordered on closeout for $64.99. I checked everyone's thoughts on the forums, that's why I'm a basic member. It's been a long time since I bought a knife and I'm hoping I didn't overpay. Federalist is a strange name.

Opposite for me. USPS is the fastest in my area. UPS the slowest. Fed Ex in between.

Do be aware that UPS hires USPS to make final deliveries on some shipments. I've watched UPS hang up holding a package at one point or another on their tracking system for days, then it gets delivered "late" by USPS. If I hadn't been watching the tracking, I would just have assumed that USPS dropped the ball, but it was UPS that fouled up.

There are also levels of shipping within each system. So if your shipper cheaped out and sent it by ground, it's going to take a while, no matter which service gets it.
I guess it just depends where you live, because I have generally had very good luck.

I will say though that a few years ago I had a package somehow sent to London England the come right back to be delivered to my PO box here in Norcal the same day.
I don't know how they managed that one, but in the end it all worked out.

I think that's true. Most of my frustrations with USPS are local/regional. But somehow (at least in my experience), UPS and Fed-Ex outperform USPS consistently. When I see an expected delivery date from those carriers, it's generally spot-on, barring a major weather event. With USPS, the delivery date is frequently just a guess and packages regularly go all over the country before eventually arriving at my local P.O.

I'm well aware of all that (I've been a shipping manager in a past life, and done a lot of shipping for various businesses I've been involved with). But in my area, USPS is invariably the one at fault. They also have far more turnover from what I've seen, so we're continuously working with new people who are just learning the job and then leave.

USPS is a canton system like Switzerland but unfortunately not as well organized. Think of it as bad Switzerland. Quality of service depends on 1) your closest big city postal center, and 2) your local postal station. Chicago is the worst of the big city postal centers, and my local postal station has to be among the worst in Chicago. So USPS is the worst of the worst for me, but YMMV.

In 1968 I took a 6 month vacation from college and and worked for USPO. I'm talking about the United States Post Office founded by Benjamin Franklin and the Second Continental Congress in 1775, and abolished by Richard Nixon and the 92nd United States Congress in 1971. The postal stations are mostly unchanged, the work is worse of course but otherwise unchanged, and when I go to my local postal station looking for an undelivered package, I get a very clear sense of what is going on there. Problems usually start with the station master and work their way down. If you're under Mail Watch it's a little different and a little worse, but hopefully none of you are dealing with that. You get on Mail Watch by corresponding with someone under investigation by the FBI, CIA or NSA.

For a sense of what it's like to work in a U.S. Postal Station, read Charles Bukowski's novel Post Office (1971). It's the perspective of a letter carrier, not a clerk or mail handler, and from before the great change, but it's still worth reading.

I just ordered a William's 1/4 screwdriver to go with the #2 I ordered about 6 months back.
Williams-SDR-26-Round-Screwdriver-with-Premium-Comfort-Grip-Handles-and-Blades-6-Inch_2ca7cf9...jpeg
I have so many screwdrivers already, but ordered the #2 just to try out and liked it so much I decided to at least get the 1/4 to go with it.
I definitely don't need the whole set.

Call me crazy, but curiosity got me and I ordered a NOS keller / Brinkmann Legend AAA flashlight on Ebay.
For $5 I had to check one out, I'm curious about the spot / flood feature and wondering if it performs any better then the incandescent Maglite Solitaire.

I bought a 2AA Legend at a closeout store by my mom's house about 5 years ago but I don't think I ever even ended up putting batteries in the thing before misplacing it.

Btw I actually do still use the incident Maglite Solitaire, it's great for looking inside of things like airgun compression chambers and rifle barrels because it's just enough light without being blinding like bright LED flashlights are.

A BaByliss pro foilfx02 electric razor I was torn between black chrome or gold finish but I ultimately settled on the gold finish.

Another ten-pack of AK mags....I probably have a problem, lol. Just can't seem to turn 'em down when I see a good deal.

Hapstone R2 with some stones. There goes my knife budget for a while, but it will make the ones I have extra sharp (I hope)

Montblanc Meisterstuck platinum coated rollerball. Always wanted one
IMG_0182.jpeg

Back