Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I didn't know there was more than one

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 31 because Im new and don't know any better

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • The guys that pick the 31 have never touched a 21

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
I have had a few different versions over the years all have been superior quality ~ I am totally satisfied with them all.

" The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water and breeds reptiles of the mind "

The 31 comes with all sorts of fidgety gotta get everything proper and seated to get it back together so it functions right.

The 21 is assemble, tighten screws, done. No fidgeting or loctite required.

I voted them all, but the 31 bugs me. And the oversized finger choil is very uncomfortable for me in use.

Long live the O through 21! 😂🤣

As long as we've had Sebenzas and the internet, there have been discussions about lock up percentage, lock wear, witness marks, stop pin replacements, and flicking or not flicking. The 31 ends the whole debate with the ceramic lock face in concert with the hardened pin.

Does that matter? Depends on what one values in a folding knife. I think objectively it means the 31 has a potentially longer service life, all other things being equal. Will any of us live long enough for the dstinction to matter? Couldn't say, but it still gives me the fizz.
This is a good point on some of the things that likely motivated the evolution. While I am in the camp that I’ll never wear out a carburized lock bar, I agree the ceramic will likely last longer all things being equal. The incessant hand wringing over lockup percentage finally won. This concern and feedback is as old as CRK. They tried to convince everyone for a long time to stop worrying about it, but the masses couldn’t stop. Not saying who is right, but it’s clear who won. Ceramic ball lock also likely streamlined manufacturing (which was probably a big motivation too).

The 31 comes with all sorts of fidgety gotta get everything proper and seated to get it back together so it functions right.

The 21 is assemble, tighten screws, done. No fidgeting or loctite required.

I voted them all, but the 31 bugs me. And the oversized finger choil is very uncomfortable for me in use.

Long live the O through 21! 😂🤣
Interesting, reassembling my son’s 31
Seemed about the same as a 21, to me. We have only done it a couple times though.

Seemed about the same as a 21, to me. We have only done it a couple times though.
I really hope they are getting the 31 dialed in. My micarta has been back to the mothership twice now.
First time they changed the lockside because they agreed it wasn’t proper.
Second time was because the pivot screw kept coming loose just from opening the knife. And the action was horrible.

Came back the same way it left pretty much.

I have to use CA glue on the pivot screw. Nothing else works to stop it from backing out. The action is still not great. :(

I can’t bring myself to buy another 31. :(

Super stoked to have read at least two reports of the 31’s going back together as they should. :)

I agree that the 31 is more likely to need thread locker, but only one of my seven needs it. The rest are indistinguishable from a 21.

I think the "H" and "Originals" are like hens teeth, so the super common "P" must be my high water mark for now. I agree that I have never met a Large I didn't like, on up, and including the 31,,,,, B

For me it's the 21 and the regular annuals. As someone once said on another forum, (paraphrasing); The 21 is the last true Sebenza because it shares the same characteristics of every Sebenza before it while the 31 is essentially a hybrid. I also find the 21 split inlays to be more aesthetically pleasing compared with the single slab inlay on the 31 which to me is nice but kind of ordinary. I believe the reason for this change was an attempt to emulate the regular annuals of the early 2000's. However, nothing on the 31 comes remotely close to those annual runs that featured the most spectacular examples of exotic woods that were probably hand chosen by Chris himself. The way those inlays followed the unique lines of the Regular's handle with its convex top and scalloped finger grooves - they just looked so darn sexy. Those knives were pure art.

I've only seen the old annuals in photos. I agree they are stunning 😍. Leaving this here, not as a direct comparison for the classicist, but as a bit of flourish for the fans. Sapele Mahagony in polished titanium flats over glass blasting. What a treat!

1000001769.jpg

1000001572.jpg

Mine is also perfect.

I'd go as far as say its even slightly more easy n faster to service than the 21 cause u dont have to deal with the stop pin sleeve.

Last edited:
nevermind

Last edited:
Back