Why doesnt Survive offer any FFG options?

I think a little too much emphasis is put on strength with many of these survival/hard use knives though guys. Remember a knife is designed to cut/slice first and foremost and sacrificing cutting ability for strength can be counter productive to a knifes whole reason/purpose. How strong does a knife need to be really? Not everyone needs a knife to baton knotty oak logs, smash concrete, and cut nails (Busse already has this covered lol).

If you're going to market a knife as being a "survival / hard use knife", you want to make sure it can stand up to extremes, even if that level of toughness is not needed for 99% of knife tasks. Just like if you're going to sell seat belts, you don't want them to work only 99% of the time. Sure, you don't want something that cuts like a brick (I've never been interested in the ESEE 5, and some Busse edges have been very disappointing), but if you can achieve super toughness without giving away much in cutting ability (which I believe Survive does), then why not?

If you're a careful and experienced knife user and unlikely to be in situations where your life might really depend on not breaking your blade, then by all means get yourself an optimized cutting knife. There are several makers who provide thin slicers in amazing steels - e.g. Phil Wilson, Chris Berry. But there are few production companies who produce very fine slicing edges in expensive steels (the Spyderco Sprig is an exception) because the manufacturing tolerances will less forgiving, and the warranty liabilities will be unmanageable (the majority of knife buyers are not careful and experienced).

So to answer the original question, Survive makes knives with a geometry that they and a lot of user believe to be a good balance of cutting ability and toughness. Certainly, they could improve the cutting ability at the cost of toughness, but then they wouldn't be able to market or warranty them as fail-safe survival knives.

Back