Why the crazy sheaths?

Survival fantasy. Carrying way too much gear than will likely ever be needed.

Ever been stranded in the wilderness without gear?
Ever crashed a canoe on the rocks in the rapids and spent the night on the shore with only what you had on?
Ever spent the night in the woods due to unforeseen injury?
Ever gone out in the wilderness on purpose to practice real world survival skills?
Ever wounded an animal while hunting and needed to do the ethical thing and track the animal down and then get lost away from familiar territory as the sun sets?

Fantasy for some, reality for others. There are plenty of Mall ninja's and then there are real outdoorsmen.

I don't think it matters how the gear is carried, personal preference.

(My
preference is to keep most gear in a pack so the weight is evenly distributed and comfortable. I couldn't stand to have a heavy bundle pulling down on a pants bent, especially only on one side. I also wouldn't want a bunch of loose stuff shoved into pockets - too easy to lose.)

What is important, that you have a 'system' and be consistent. :thumbup:

Nice set up hale storm. I think you and the unit are right on if you have other gear and the tools on the sheath rig are back ups. But my concern is if not. If for knives you only have that junglas and izula. If you lose the rig, u lose both knives. If the junglas was by itself and the izula on a neck set up or different sheath. If you lost the junglas rig atleast you would still have the izula. But if you have an esee 5 or something somewhere else I guess it doesn't matter. Anyways nice pics. And the great thing is that we can all carry however we want... Actually unless your in ny, ma, dc,... Oh well, you know what I mean. :)

Off to go snow shoeing in the 5 feet of snow we have here in southern NH. Those pics inspired me so I am going to go with my esee 5 and izula. I will give the beckers and swamp rats a break.

As to your theory about everything being in one place...I heed that concept for theft but not for loss. I don't worry much about theft in the woods. As to loss, my knife rig is the only single item that will never leave my side....the only true "From my cold, dead fingers" item that I carry into the bush.

Regarding 'crazy sheaths' or whatever, my experience has been different from the OP's. I have a number of multi-functional sheaths for some of my bush/survival knives. I've always carried a stacked leuku/puukko sheath on bush trips and have several sheaths for other knives that I have modified over the years---usually done around a campfire out of boredom and with whatever was available. Results in some unique sheath mods....

One example---my HEST II Woodsman, a fine leather, full snap-flap sheath: I incorporated my SeberTool case (leather) by stitching it onto the sheath flap (perfect fit) with an awl...this carries the Sebertool and a set of slimmer tools slid in behind it---a coin w/ 5 screwdriver blades, as well as an armoured magnifying lens---both in turn attached to the case by thin leather twines to prevent loss. It doesn't impede access to the knife at all as everything sits tightly attached to the sheath flap. I unsnap it, lift it.....snap the whole package back closed. When I work out of the SeberTool case the knife flap remains snapped closed and undisturbed.

Behind this, at the top, I rigged two leather-loop hang points mounted for anything small I might want to temporarily attach by caribiner for immediate access.​

On the blade part of the sheath I have a mini-buckle leather strap cinched around the center area to hold smaller slip-in items to momentarily free up my hands or carry something; looks good when it's empty too. Also, via some leather lacing (also providing for the usual basic "emergency cord" be-prepared B.S.)wrapped to enhance the look of the sheath, I've hung a draping loop of copper biker chain which drapes the face of the sheath (also looking damn good) and makes an excellent gravity holder for my fire-steel or small flashlight when tripping around camp or anything else I need to secure there for a few. I added two brass hang points to this area of the sheath as well---one a keyring-type, one a D-ring. Like having a couple of gear magnets:

Say I'm standing in a trout stream up to my knees, catching browns all day long wearing only cutoffs, a belt and my HEST II rig...using the SAK I also carry to gut em as I catch em....no place to lay the SAK down for a second as the little bastard fins me and squirms around. I clip its lanyard to one of the hang points on my sheath, the folder dangles while I do what's needed, then unclip it and have it back in hand. A lot better than closing it, putting it in a pocket then having to get it out and open it again while holding dangerous wild game in the other hand.

In winter? The first thing I do when I need to remove my glove(s) for something---clip the glove clips to a hang point on my sheath. The gloves ain't going anywhere even if I get distracted now. And if it warms up they hang beside my sheath all day. So what?

Anything attached to my knife sheath will NOT be lost.​

I also rigged my Camillus USMC sheath to carry my Ka-Bar Acheron piggyback when needed and it's very handy.

Bottom line, IMO being able to secure items to a sheath quickly can prove useful in many ways throughout a day in the woods.

EDIT: I like those little ESSE packs that attach to the smaller sheaths too. Perfect for what we are talking about.

Last edited:
Different strokes for different folks.

The fear of loosing everything together is silly though. Have you ever lost a backpack? Most people put a lot of stuff there and rarely lose it.

Some guys go out with a minimalist approach and everything they need is in that little pack on their knife. You can bet that they are not going to be so careless to loose it.

It is foolish to go into the wild without splitting necessities.

I have been separated from my gear in may ways a number of times. By overturning canoes, slides on ice fields, pure neglect, having to abandon camp suddenly due to high water, and on and on...never have I been separated from my knife though.

Dunno, I just find something wrong about having that 'emergency goto kit' tucked away in a pack but not keeping necessities close to the one item you KNOW you aren't going to let get away and you will be in contact with 24/7---your knife. Always reminds me of the kayaker I ran into who insisted on keeping his one knife attached to the kayak instead of his personal gear. Boy did he learn.

Maybe where you, crom and I differ is more in the semantics---I see distinction between "camping" and "bushcraft/survival" priorities.

Last edited:
Ever been stranded in the wilderness without gear?
Ever crashed a canoe on the rocks in the rapids and spent the night on the shore with only what you had on?
Ever spent the night in the woods due to unforeseen injury?
Ever gone out in the wilderness on purpose to practice real world survival skills?
Ever wounded an animal while hunting and needed to do the ethical thing and track the animal down and then get lost away from familiar territory as the sun sets?

Fantasy for some, reality for others. There are plenty of Mall ninja's and then there are real outdoorsmen.

Yes. :thumbup:

I agree. I want my sheath to hold my knife- not a bunch of extra crap. I don't need instant access to my fire making kit or a secondary knife.

Real quick here, the point is not "instant access" of anything. It's the theory of having necessities attached to YOU in a survival situation rather than packed away somewhere for convenience.

This has become more of a "wilderness vs. car camping" thing I think... :congratulatory:

Nice set up hale storm. I think you and the unit are right on if you have other gear and the tools on the sheath rig are back ups. But my concern is if not. If for knives you only have that junglas and izula. If you lose the rig, u lose both knives. If the junglas was by itself and the izula on a neck set up or different sheath. If you lost the junglas rig atleast you would still have the izula. But if you have an esee 5 or something somewhere else I guess it doesn't matter. Anyways nice pics. And the great thing is that we can all carry however we want... Actually unless your in ny, ma, dc,... Oh well, you know what I mean. :)

Very true tueller. I carry other blades in my pack. Usually the same type set up. Large blade and small blade. The Junglas and Izula are truly backups but I rotate between multiple set ups just for fun. Hey, I'm a knife Knut!:D

Real quick here, the point is not "instant access" of anything. It's the theory of having necessities attached to YOU in a survival situation rather than packed away somewhere for convenience.

This has become more of a "wilderness vs. car camping" thing I think... :congratulatory:

True as well. The operative line is "attached to YOU".

Common sense if the biggest factor here.

NEVER camp over 300 yards from the nearest emergency room and Motel 6 and you should be fine.;)

Paul

Different needs for different people. Nothing wrong with doing whatever works for you.

I have access to at least two knives and a hatchet when camping. We "car camp" because I'm disabled, we have a bunch of kids and because we can do so and still enjoy some of the best the outdoors has to offer. I wouldn't put anyone down for doing what they can/want to do. That's nonsense.

As for sheath systems, it's probably advisable to carry an extra knife other than the one on your hip, especially if you have a propensity for setting your knife down, losing stuff, or being in situations where a backup could prove vital.

I think this is more about survival techniques and practices than sheaths. Carry two systems and losing the ferro rod on one of them won't be a life threatening problem.

Its the same old argument:

Thick knife vs thin knife, nether side understands why the other likes them.

Chopper knife vs Axe

To baton or not to baton, that is the question.

Brand X vs Brand Z, some are more controversial than others.

Forged vs Stock Removal.

Hand made vs Production.

It does go on and on, best way to get along is to not get upset when you see these kinds of threads, avoid them. Another good thing is to avoid disparaging the other guy for his choices, its his money he can spend it any way he wants to, period.

I appreciate how everyone kept it reigned in a bit, it could have gotten ugly. Almost stepped in once or twice though.

Most of the complicated combination sheaths I've seen are custom made .
If someone goes too the trouble of making one themselves or commissioning one from a maker then they obviously feel that it's needed , required and will be an asset not a liability .
I say bring it on , just because I might not always like the finished result doesn't make it wrong .

Ken

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of aerial assault, halo jump gone wrong stuff you are doing to lose a knife, but I can't imagine having my knife torn from me. I would wager my belt and pants would be ripped from me before the knife ever came off. I feel in my opinion that putting essentials on your sheath and making them easily accessible pretty smart. Personally, I would attach whatever to my sheath because if it isn't within reach I forget where it is.

From my understanding, a knife is usually lost because it's been set down. In this case a bright handle is beneficial. A floating knife is beneficial if you kayak or fish. I've never heard of losing a sheath, but a knife in a ill fitting sheath is certainly plausible.

From my understanding, a knife is usually lost because it's been set down. In this case a bright handle is beneficial. A floating knife is beneficial if you kayak or fish. I've never heard of losing a sheath, but a knife in a ill fitting sheath is certainly plausible.

Recently read about a small production knife that was in a pretty deep, but not fitted, factory leather pouch sheath on the belt that got yanked out by the lanyard (now that's something I don't understand... ;) ) by bushes along the trail. The guy found it by accident as he was searching on the ground, out of the corner of his eye he saw movement...

Recently read about a small production knife that was in a pretty deep, but not fitted, factory leather pouch sheath on the belt that got yanked out by the lanyard (now that's something I don't understand... ;) ) by bushes along the trail. The guy found it by accident as he was searching on the ground, out of the corner of his eye he saw movement...
Yeah, that's entirely possible, if not likely given the circumstances. My hope is that I'd feel the knife get yanked the moment it happened.

This is the only knife I carry regularly with a lanyard (not pictured). I would have to be half dead to not notice, but then again, my lanyard would break before it got totally dislodged.

eAGqwLP.jpg

The only time I've ever lost a knife was once when I was thoroughly drunk. My wife found it in a dry canal the next day. Just part of why I don't drink anymore. ;)

I've had that happen. It's not so bad on land but when you're in a canoe on fast water and brush hooks a knife lanyard, you can be looking at a hell of a hike back to retrieve it IF you're lucky and it remains hanging instead of falling in the water. it's also the reason outdoor knives expecting rugged treatment probably shouldn't sit free in a sheath. Some kind of strap retention is always wise. Only exceptions for me are the deep sheaths of my Nordic knives---they offer excellent retention by friction alone.

First thing I Iearned as a pup in the bush was to make lanyards, esp. on outdoor/bush knives, with a slip loop, by way of knot or bead, so that the loop will disappear when not needed. It's one of my double-checks of gear as I'm going along---loop closed when not needed.​

Even the loop lanyards I have on some of my house knives (folders) will occasionally snatch a door knob and stop me cold when I clip-carry them---the height is just right as the lanyard hangs from my pocket. Not so critical at home though.

Yeah, that's entirely possible, if not likely given the circumstances. My hope is that I'd feel the knife get yanked the moment it happened.

This is the only knife I carry regularly with a lanyard (not pictured). I would have to be half dead to not notice, but then again, my lanyard would break before it got totally dislodged.

The only time I've ever lost a knife was once when I was thoroughly drunk. My wife found it in a dry canal the next day. Just part of why I don't drink anymore. ;)

It was a bushcraft forum, knives being secondary consideration... The last knife I lost was when I was about 6-7 years old, and that was a folder. I suspect it might have happened when I was being chased by a bull...

I've had that happen. It's not so bad on land but when you're in a canoe on fast water and brush hooks a knife lanyard, you can be looking at a hell of a hike back to retrieve it IF you're lucky and it remains hanging instead of falling in the water. it's also the reason outdoor knives expecting rugged treatment probably shouldn't sit free in a sheath. Some kind of strap retention is always wise. Only exceptions for me are the deep sheaths of my Nordic knives---they offer excellent retention by friction alone.

First thing I Iearned as a pup in the bush was to make lanyards, esp. on outdoor/bush knives, with a slip loop, by way of knot or bead, so that the loop will disappear when not needed. It's one of my double-checks of gear as I'm going along---loop closed when not needed.​

Even the loop lanyards I have on some of my house knives (folders) will occasionally snatch a door knob and stop me cold when I clip-carry them---the height is just right as the lanyard hangs from my pocket. Not so critical at home though.

Whenever I'm planning to be next to water I opt for kydex sheaths, for their retention and not soaking up water.
As to lanyards, the only application I see for them is chopping. And for that I can always use the paracord in my pocket, no dangling stuff attached to my knives.

Back