Wtf emerson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emerson was the first knife I've handled when I first got into knives. I didn't know anything about materials then but what I didn't understand was why does a USA $200 knife has a lesser build quality than a chinese made kershaw.

why does a USA $200 knife has a lesser build quality than a chinese made kershaw.

Please explain further what you mean. As many of us on here agree, the fit and finish issues of Emerson knives have been far overblown. I fail to see a "lesser build quality" than a Chinese made knife, Kershaw or otherwise.

Emerson was the first knife I've handled when I first got into knives. I didn't know anything about materials then but what I didn't understand was why does a USA $200 knife has a lesser build quality than a chinese made kershaw.
Don't waste your time they can not see it they won't see it they will blindly follow no matter what you say. Frame locks are the way tac folders are going and there are plenty who produce better knives than even the CQC 12 . I know I own one and my reeves or zt are just plain better quality. What you fail to understand is that if you like what emerson currently makes great you will always buy his knives he has you for life. but there are those of us who were loyal emerson knife owners who see knives less expensive with better features and wished emerson would come out with a few models like what we were seeing on the market. We are asking for it we are saying why does are favorite knife maker not offer that. Do you get that at all. Now he goes and gets ZT to make them which is great it's the knife we wanted and will buy so I guess I still am an emerson knife guy just as long as ZT makes it but WHY did emerson not make them which is and still is my fing question . Those of us on the fence would have bought them and so would you.

Last edited:
You also have to consider that the China made knives are probably CNC machined for final fit & finish where the Emerson's are not from what I can tell. Manufactures in Asia probably purchase more materials in a week than Emerson does in a year. That alone will be reflected in the final cost. I feel that your comparing the capabilities of a small privately owned business to a much larger comany with no quams about outsourcing the work (domestic or foreign). If you go to Emerson's website, there is a "about us" section. That section has a photo of the workshop. If you look closely, you'll see and reconise (if familiar) the equipment used. There is what I believe a huge "human" element when the knives are made (Emerson Brand). The parts are handled, fed, sorted, inspected,cut, drilled and etc with human hands involved versus just putting something in the machine and pressing a button and wait picking your nails or something. I will say that no 2 Emerson knives are the same in their finish which to me is unique like true handcrafted items, not Zerox copies from a printer. The whole framelock thing, I read somewhere that it is Chris Reeves thing so there isn't much of that from Emerson. The CQC-12HD and the CQC-7HD were made with a OK from Strider knives almost a decade ago (read that somewhere too).

Would a ZT knife be a ZT if it were made by another knife company they didn't own? I wouldn't think so. My opinion.

I'm a lurker.

The Zt is not the knife we wanted... it's the knife you wanted. I want a liner lock with g10 on both sides, not just one as in a frame lock. IMO, frame locks are not tactical, despite the current framelock dogpile.

The quality of this generation of Emerson knives with standoffs is the best ever, and even if Zt/Kershaw can make a decent knife too I will never buy a KAI product. Even though Emerson is collaborating with them and some people here may like the collab knives, I hate KAI as a company and will never buy their knives.

We should make a sign up thread, group sign up for "I Support Emerson Knives". Or maybe a better name, just throwing it out there.

Or maybe "Sons Of Emerson, Harbor City Original" :D

Nice! I like it!

What everyone else said plus Ernie doesn't carry a CQC-12 as his EDC. I've seen him almost everyday for the past 5 years and his Commander has never left that pocket. Also, Ernie didn't need permission from Strider for any frame locks. Strider didn't invent the frame lock and it's not a patented concept. Ernie never "broke away" from Benchmade. He never worked for them. He designed the CQC7 and licensed it to them. This thread is going no where. Hopefully the OP got some input. Probably not what he wanted but what do you expect when you bust open the door and shit on the floor.

ER

Last edited:
Mic77 I did indeed pull your picture of the 0560BW you modified, and will say you did a very nice job on it. Really nice, actually.

That being said, I think you'd see, if you attempted to make an entire knife from scratch, that it is easier said than done.

And luckily for you ZT does make knives that fit your criteria, and you have the skill to modify it to your liking, so just continue to do that and share your results in a positive way.

People around here like that, it's interesting. So I give you props for your mod job. But coming in and bashing a knife company people are passionate about is not interesting, nor do you seem to gather much support.

His customs sell for around $1500-1600. And they do not boast bearing pivots.

So he must know something you do not know yet, and that is when you build something the way YOU like, and others like it too, so much you sell every one you make, not just for days than for YEARS, then don't be a dipshit and change it a bunch.

Why? Because it already WORKS!

When a girl says "yes," are you smart or foolish to keep asking her if she wants to? If you're not a dipshit, you move forward on the initial "yes." If you ARE a dipshit, keep asking until she doesn't want to anymore, and see where that gets you. Does that help?

Ernie's customers have said "yes!" with their hard-earned money to purchase his products over and over again. Only a dipshit would change what is clearly working, and Ernest Emerson is no dipshit. He's a driven and successful businessman.

Period. And enough of this thread for me.

It did do something. I want a emerson now.:thumbup:

No I never really got an answer other than the one I get from my 5 year old when she does not have one or the truth is not ideal (because) which really is not an answer but whatever. Also the Emerson web page I believe did say at one point it was his daily knife. Or a REP I bought mine from had it on his web page But regardless Glad I can buy a knife with the wave and a frame lock or just wave it myself.

Last edited:
I want a waved Persian with an Axis lock but I'm not going to cry about it.

Do yourself a favor and go hang in General Knife Discussion, you'll have more fun there I assure you.

I'm getting the ZT620, without question. I really like Ti framelocks and the Emerson knives that I love have gotten the conversion. That said, I only have 2 ZT framelocks, and 4 Emerson framelocks, none of which are an HD-7 or CQC-12. Emerson designs a better knife, and if it lacks the features I want, they will be modified if it's possible. Then again, beauty in the design is highly subjective. Many people are fanatical about every ZT that comes out, and are a captive audience. Emerson has its following too.

They are always watching and listening. If enough noise is made about it; it may have some influence on future models.

Very true. If you noticed the most recent models now come with better fit and finish. Something that Emerson always dismissed until the recent "Fit and Finish"
topics came up on the forums.

hmmmmmmmmmm?? ^ :D
Good move, Krav.
Hi Vemon.
I also like the G10 on both handle slabs.

Permission to lock thread or send into oblivion?

understanding internet trolls, if you lock it, they will only show up on another thread, and HI JACK IT.

Many years ago I tried to set up an internet Message Board to promote a muzzle loading shoot. Some how we were discovered by a Troll who went by something like NOT KATHYS SON CODY all he did was put up anti firearms, anti second amendment dribble.

In the end he won because we were not able to edit or delegate his postings. So the lesson was TROLLS in the early days of the internet were able to control the internet.

I still think locking a tread only invites Trolls to show up again in another thread, this forum has enough members to silane the Trolls IMHO.

Its easy to ask-Why can't CRK make a knife like...; why can't BM make a knife like ...; why can't Strider make a knife like ...
You get the point. Individuality is great. It's what makes the knife world great. Buy what you like. Try what you want.

I support this comment, exactly what I was thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back