Wtf emerson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just say that we've done our homework.

I'll admit, you've definitely got me very curious about what the company has planned to extend the patents. Unfortunately, I'm completely certain it's not something you can share on the internet. Good luck to you guys! As I said, you make a solid product.

Not to be too contentious, but it's not a matter of letting patents expire. They aren't like trademarks, which can be renewed, they expire and can only be extended under extremely specific circumstances and even then generally for very short amounts of time. If they didn't expire we wouldn't have generic medications around.

In the real world patients, trademarks, and copyrights do get defended everyday of the week by company that own patients, trademarks, and copyrights.

Trust me if you are thing of ripping off some intellectual property of any company that has money to go after you personally, or your company I would suggest you just buy licensing rights it will be cheaper in the long run.

The Walt Disney Company or the "mouse" is one of those companies that continues to relicense, or register copyrights, trademarks, and patients. Things like Mickey Mouse have been relicensed, and protected again and again since Mickey was first born in 1928.

Disney's legal staff makes a Great White Shark look like a minnow if you get in their radar.

In the real world patients, trademarks, and copyrights do get defended everyday of the week by company that own patients, trademarks, and copyrights.

Trust me if you are thing of ripping off some intellectual property of any company that has money to go after you personally, or your company I would suggest you just buy licensing rights it will be cheaper in the long run.

The Walt Disney Company or the "mouse" is one of those companies that continues to relicense, or register copyrights, trademarks, and patients. Things like Mickey Mouse have been relicensed, and protected again and again since Mickey was first born in 1928.

Disney's legal staff makes a Great White Shark look like a minnow if you get in their radar.

Defense and expiration are very different things. Believe me, I am not suggesting that anyone should infringe on Emerson's patent, nor would I buy their product if they did, but patents and trademarks are fundamentally different in a number of ways. The key I was referencing is that patents are only good for a set amount of time, usually 20 years, and there are only a very few ways that can be extended. Once the patent expires others are free to use that patent for profit. The most visible real-world example I can think of is medications. A company holds the patent to a medication for 20 years or so and then other manufacturers are free to create generic versions of the med.

Defense and expiration are very different things. Believe me, I am not suggesting that anyone should infringe on Emerson's patent, nor would I buy their product if they did, but patents and trademarks are fundamentally different in a number of ways. The key I was referencing is that patents are only good for a set amount of time, usually 20 years, and there are only a very few ways that can be extended. Once the patent expires others are free to use that patent for profit. The most visible real-world example I can think of is medications. A company holds the patent to a medication for 20 years or so and then other manufacturers are free to create generic versions of the med.

Honestly if you build a better mouse trap, knife, or knife accessory the would will line to buy it if the price is right. Sad think is if you hold a patient, trademark, copyright, and do not have the funds to defend it. Thatatient, copyright, or trademark is not worth diddly squat.

Also if you contract with some people in Asia to build your product after they do 50,000 units for you, and in some cases they will do more for themselves, and undersell you on e-bay?

I think you're both veering off on a tangent. Patents basically don't exist to China. We/EKI fight diligently after Chinese fakes. Problem is you can't shut them down. There's too many of them. Once you shut 1 down, 3 more pop up.

Back to the subject. The waves patent will still be Emerson's for quite some time and maybe you'll see it on future models of other manufacturers because of licensing. It's already on a few companies knives today.

I think you're both veering off on a tangent. Patents basically don't exist to China. We/EKI fight diligently after Chinese fakes. Problem is you can't shut them down. There's too many of them. Once you shut 1 down, 3 more pop up.

Back to the subject. The waves patent will still be Emerson's for quite some time and maybe you'll see it on future models of other manufacturers because of licensing. It's already on a few companies knives today.

I understand patients, trademarks, and copyrights don't help you much if you item are pirated, or fake by out of USA companies. Also the U.S. Customs Service Enforcement Officers don't do a great job policing at international border crossings.

I go to a Mexican Border Town frequently to purchase prescription medications, and see all kinds of counterfeit, and knock off item for sale. Most make it past the enforcement officers, because illegal drugs, illegal immigrants, and thing like bombs, explosives, etc. are more important to stop than a dozen pair of counterfeit Oakley sun glasses.

BTW I take my prescription with me from doctors I see in the USA, but get my prescription filled in Mexico saving almost 80-90% on some items. The border town I go to is full of gray hair people from the U.S.A. & Canada all buying prescription, getting dental work, or have eye glass prescription filled.

ya dipstick I paid to be a member just so I could troll the emerson chat. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you. Get a grip pal

Trust me pal I am not paranoid, but your post make me think your are a Troll with some personal vendetta to vent venom about Emerson knives. BTW just because you decided to be GOLD, it don't allow you the right to be a name caller.

BTW when I was a kid we all had ways to deal with name callers, that was a trip to the Boxing Ring at the Boys Club wee people could duke it out with boxing gloves, and settle difference.

Today in the PC, Politically Correct would this type of personality problems solving is against the law in most places.

Trust me pal I am not paranoid, but your post make me think your are a Troll with some personal vendetta to vent venom about Emerson knives. BTW just because you decided to be GOLD, it don't allow you the right to be a name caller.

BTW when I was a kid we all had ways to deal with name callers, that was a trip to the Boxing Ring at the Boys Club wee people could duke it out with boxing gloves, and settle difference.

Today in the PC, Politically Correct would this type of personality problems solving is against the law in most places.

Um you called me a troll did that slip your mind you were calling names first so go down to the boys club get in the ring and punch your self in the face with or without gloves its up to ( you mean name caller you ). Lighten Up Francis and Grow up.

As for the rest I wont post in here again I said what I had to say and I'm not the only one saying it. I put a link down at the bottom to another forum if you really want the truth from other customers. Had Emerson knives for years sark, CQC 12, CQC 7 and one of the stubby ones cant remember the number emerson benchmade before that and used them everyday many times a day in construction, hunting, camping. I feel as someone who has supported them I can ask a question. What I was getting at was 1 why have ZT make the better version (in my Opinion) of there knife. Cool i'm glad but why not do that in house and have both designs. 2 That there are many knives out there that are similar in design with better (in my Opinion) materials and features.

The standard original colt 1911 is a great gun just like the emerson knife old design but proven no doubt about either one. But now there is Kimber, Springfield,Wilson, etc offering essentially the same gun but with upgraded and updated materials and features increasing its functionality and appeal to different people and in a lot of cases the same or less expensive than from colt apples to apples. My family owns a gun store. We sell far more of the Kimber, Springfield,Wilson, Sig etc than we do colt even in ARS the non Colts sell better. Just an observation that seems to be similar to what I see with Emerson. Like I said glad I can buy it the way I want it or I have the skills to make it. I just did not understand the reason why out source it and worst of all to China for the kershaw. Just my Opinion should have put it this way at the start. But that cow is way out of the barn and laying bloody on the side of the road with fly's.

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/s...verrated-knife?highlight=most+overrated+knife

Last edited:
Seems to me the more appropriate approach would have been to go to a Kai forum and crow about them then.

Um you called me a troll did that slip your mind you were calling names first so go down to the boys club get in the ring and punch your self in the face with or without gloves its up to ( you mean name caller you ). Lighten Up Francis and Grow up.

As for the rest I wont post in here again I said what I had to say and I'm not the only one saying it. I put a link down at the bottom to another forum if you really want the truth from other customers. Had Emerson knives for years sark, CQC 12, CQC 7 and one of the stubby ones cant remember the number emerson benchmade before that and used them everyday many times a day in construction, hunting, camping. I feel as someone who has supported them I can ask a question. What I was getting at was 1 why have ZT make the better version (in my Opinion) of there knife. Cool i'm glad but why not do that in house and have both designs. 2 That there are many knives out there that are similar in design with better (in my Opinion) materials and features.

The standard original colt 1911 is a great gun just like the emerson knife old design but proven no doubt about either one. But now there is Kimber, Springfield,Wilson, etc offering essentially the same gun but with upgraded and updated materials and features increasing its functionality and appeal to different people and in a lot of cases the same or less expensive than from colt apples to apples. My family owns a gun store. We sell far more of the Kimber, Springfield,Wilson, Sig etc than we do colt even in ARS the non Colts sell better. Just an observation that seems to be similar to what I see with Emerson. Like I said glad I can buy it the way I want it or I have the skills to make it. I just did not understand the reason why out source it and worst of all to China for the kershaw. Just my Opinion should have put it this way at the start. But that cow is way out of the barn and laying bloody on the side of the road with fly's.

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/s...verrated-knife?highlight=most+overrated+knife

How is it possible that people don't understand that the knives made in China are KERSHAW knives? Mr. Emerson DESIGNED them!!

You have the right to your own opinion but the fact that you think you can come into this forum so brashly and not expect any backlash from us is just so egotistical. What do you think Chevrolet would say if you walked into their dealership and asked why their cars weren't made like Rolls Royce's? Since they CAN do it, WHY don't they? Sheesh. They must be idiotic to not be able to put out the BEST product available! (In your bad opinion)

Our knives work and they out perform all those "pretty" knives. We're about strength and function. Ernie's designs are the best in the business. Not a lot of people can deny that. He puts his heart and soul into these knives. If you only knew him you'd understand what goes into each and every knife.

If you don't like them don't buy them. I don't think EKI will notice.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
I dont know did Chevy license its cars and trucks to rolls Royce's. You did to to kershaw it has your name on on it its a collaboration so you have some input. And you should put out the best product you can. Whatever I'm done you can go back to high fives and waving pompoms slapping ass with your head in the sand I really don't give a crap. As for best in the business or strongest. We'll best design that's your opinion as I said love the wave greatest knife feature ever since man flaked stone. But facts like testing the strength of your knives locks edge retention wear resistant they fall short compared to other knives there are tones of videos, posts, and personal experience with your knives that says otherwise. I did not say Mr. Emerson was a bad guy or that he was not passionate about his job I asked a simple question why out source and you still have no answer at all. You just come back ranting and raving. I assume its that ZT has larger buying power for materials licensing for some of the other features that Emerson does not offer and the staff and equipment to do it. Also the advertising power. Now see that would have been an answer. As for buying yep your right I wont anymore and I will recommend that to others as well and they in turn will do the same and eventually you will feel the sting. Like I said its not just me dude just do a search there are lots of others.

I dont know did Chevy license its cars and trucks to rolls Royce's. You did to to kershaw it has your name on on it its a collaboration so you have some input. And you should put out the best product you can. Whatever I'm done you can go back to high fives and waving pompoms slapping ass with your head in the sand I really don't give a crap. As for best in the business or strongest. We'll best design that's your opinion as I said love the wave greatest knife feature ever since man flaked stone. But facts like testing the strength of your knives locks edge retention wear resistant they fall short compared to other knives there are tones of videos, posts, and personal experience with your knives that says otherwise. I did not say Mr. Emerson was a bad guy or that he was not passionate about his job I asked a simple question why out source and you still have no answer at all. You just come back ranting and raving. I assume its that ZT has larger buying power for materials licensing for some of the other features that Emerson does not offer and the staff and equipment to do it. Also the advertising power. Now see that would have been an answer. As for buying yep your right I wont anymore and I will recommend that to others as well and they in turn will do the same and eventually you will feel the sting. Like I said its not just me dude just do a search there are lots of others.

Well, you seem to have a lot of time to sit and type just to bash EKI, if you don't like them, why not go to a different forum?
There's plenty of people that don't like other companies, yet they don't go to the forum and constantly complain. Like other people have said, buy what you like... I support emerson knives, to me they're like Harley Davidson, they don't sway from what they know works, and what they know people like. There's thousands of people that don't like them, whether it's because they're not as fast as a sportbike or they're not "realistically priced". Either way, plenty of people still love EKI as well as H-D.

Well folks how about a little history lesson, when I was living in Tuscon, AZ in 1998. I had the pleasure of meeting this very tall Asian man who was also just retired.

One day I was stilling in the recreation are of the apartment complex we both live in. He ask if I would share my table, and I said sure.

As we had both just retired the subject of where we worked came up. He said he work for GM in China. And being nieve I ask does GM have car dealership?

He said he was in charge of GM production facilities in China. I asked what GM build there, and my new friend named a bunch of products.

I said like Guide Lamp, and Delco Remy in Anderson, Indiana. He said like we use to build in Indiana, all those products are now made in China.

So if you don't like China. Bad new is your car, truck, or motorcycle made almost anywhere in the world has pars made in China.

The Emerson - HD comparison is fairly good IMHO. In either case I have no problem stating that what I like about both is something akin to soul, which is something you can't put in a spec sheet. I don't want my HD Softail to be a BMW or a Honda, and I truly don't want my Emerson knives to be a Spyderco or a Benchmade. And there's absolutely nothing whatsoever negative about what I just said about any of the six brands/manufacturers; I appreciate each for what they do. I similarly don't bash the Rolling Stones for not trying to be more like the Beatles, or whine that I want Iron Maiden to sound like Judas Priest.

I love when trolls promise to not post again. They never follow thru, and no one cares about your link.

Your not alone brother.

I love all 13 of mine!

Eta: oops I meant 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back