Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Thanks Alan. I read a lot of negativity about this release. I don't usually fall in line with popular opinion unless I give something a fair shake on my own. My immediate reaction is, I'm glad I didn't go by the nay sayers. I like it so far, but it just arrived today so we'll see. I don't see any reason that I would not like it's performance. It's not a delicate knife by any means.
You're welcome Bob. I often do the same. I don't care for multi-blade knives, so just my preference, but I try not to get caught up in the hype. So, I did not chase the 66's or the 54 two blades. I did buy a couple single blade 54's. I think this 38 is svelte < that's a word:thumbsup:. So, to each his own; right?

Will be interested to see your thoughts after a little while of owning it.

Thanks Jamie. I got rid of the black lights many years ago. I guess we'll just have to use our imaginations. :D

This just arrived. Am absolutely a convert to the spey blade. A really beautifully balanced knife.

Attachments

• IMG_6204.JPG
    IMG_6204.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6206.JPG
    IMG_6206.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 22
Just got a new 38 Special today. Typically not my favorite blade shape, but it works well on this pattern It just flows with the handle shape. Nice and slim.
5RcD8PS.jpg

8vLd5CO.jpg

Nice Bocote Bob! I got my Green Jigged Tidioute yesterday and I have a Jigged Northfield reserved. I am curious to see what the Northfield Jigged Bone will be. It is a sturdy knife. If they had put the secondary pen from the Willamette Whittler in with this Clip they could have had a 38 Slim. It probably would have instantly became one of my favorites! Oh well, maybe some day! :D

That green jigged bone is more green than typical for GEC dye. I like it. Quite often their color dye's don't show well unless in bright sunlight.

Bob Bowled over by the whorls and beautiful stripes on your example of the 38 Bocote.:cool::)

I freely admit, I was in the vanguard of the sceptics about this pattern, I thought the blade looked too out of proportion and skimpy, thought it a waste of an opportunity as it could have housed two blades etc. But I was totally wrong. In my defence, my reservations were based on the GEC line drawings, a notoriously unreliable medium, but when I saw some production photos I immediately recanted. :confused:

I ordered my own Bocote a week ago, it arrived in the country on 30th May. Since then Customs have been detaining it while I paid the duty on-line (25%) immediately but even so I might get it on Monday, more like Tuesday because the P.O. has cut back on deliveries to be 'competitive' bla bla.... I'm eagerly awaiting it as it's kind of like a Laguiole and yet it has a sunk joint, also I think I landed a fine example with grain, knots and whorls like yours. Let's see, I'm glad to be wrong about this pattern it could be just what I really like.

Regards, Will

Congrats Mike. Welcome to the club! Buck, Queen and...?
Hi Tom,
The Knives pictured are a Buck #301, Queen #26 and a GEC #54. I am brand new to traditional slipjoints but really enjoying these. So far the Buck and the GEC are my rotating EDC. I plan to carry the Queen when I have dressed clothes on so I don't scare the folks at the office too much...LOL!

Thanks,
Mike

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Will. As Ron stated, they could have squeezed in another blade on the opposite end and it would have still been a nice tight package, but I do like the single blade on this.

Vince, do you know The origin of the Pacheco name? Is it related to a traditional knife or ?

Hi Tom,
The Knives pictured are a Buck #301, Queen #26 and a GEC #54. I am brand new to traditional slipjoints but really enjoying these. So far the Buck and the GEC are my rotating EDC. I plan to carry the Queen when I have dressed clothes on so I don't scare the folks at the office too much...LOL!

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, I very much like the 300 series Bucks. Don't own one yet, but to my eye they combine more modern angles with the traditional look to good effect.

I like the older Buck 300s myself. I don't care for having the spey on the left side and how the tip is exposed when the sheepsfoot is in use. I also am not a fan of the hollow grind aesthetically.

Last edited:
Back