Zero Tolerance 560, Pictures and First Impression

I did noticed the gap was larger then it should be on my 560. It doesn't effect anything IMO. I just got a Hinderer XM-24 today. The 560 flicks open so much easier. You literally need no wrist action at all and it will still flip open regardless the angle. The 560 is a sweet blade, love it!

How is the detent on the 560? Can you get it to open without touching the flipper or thumb studs?

Update, I took the 560 apart, tried the pencil trick and the lock bar no longer sticks.

@ vpsaline, You can open it without the flipper or thumb studs but it takes a good arm/wrist thrust. It has better detent then my newly acquired xm-24, but it isn't the greatest.

Update, I took the 560 apart, tried the pencil trick and the lock bar no longer sticks.

@ vpsaline, You can open it without the flipper or thumb studs but it takes a good arm/wrist thrust. It has better detent then my newly acquired xm-24, but it isn't the greatest.

Yeah those 4" Hinderers really are a pain. You can PM me and I'll take it off your hands and maybe I can get it to flip open. :p :D

YES IT'S BEAD BLASTED, don't buy one. More for the people who knows what's going on

..my point here is that you'd already know if it was stonewashed or bead blasted had you been following this thread...guess that's not much of a point, I'm just a big fan of ZT

Ok, a simple "No" would have sufficed, but I understand lots here who can't contain themselves. I'm sure it's sooo much better than my XM's anyways.... *sarcasm*

Ok, a simple "No" would have sufficed, but I understand lots here who can't contain themselves. I'm sure it's sooo much better than my XM's anyways.... *sarcasm*

That's the claim. On the main thread a guy posted that he got to go into the plant yesterday (I believe) and Thomas showed him the knives being worked on. He said that Thomas had a ZT 0561 and a custom Hinderer (don't know which model) and that the ZT totally blew it away. I'm thinking of dumping my Hinderer collection now before it's devalued - a possibility, except I think the poster is full of it.

Hey, I came here to ask any of you new owners to rate this knife for hard use. I don't know what other folders you al might own, but I'm looking for comparisons to the ZT 0560 and Hinderer XM-18 & XM-24, against the Strider SMF, CRK Umni & Sebenza.

I want to get my mind around the toughness factor before buying this knife and possibly selling it. I use my knives and have batoned with these folders, chopped small branches, pried stuff lightly. I'd like to know how you think this new flipper stacks up in the heap.

ZT 0560 Versus:

ZT 0300, 0301

Hinderer XM-18 / XM-24

Strider SMF

CRK Umnazaan

CRK Sebenza

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

the xm's are defiantly more hard use knives, the xm's don't have milled out handles. they also have thicker ti. i guarantee the fit and finish on the custom hinderer will be better than the production line zt 0560. i pre ordered a 0560 because it seems awesome, all the great hinderer features. a hinderer design also. but most of all i would not be buying that expensive of a knife. i just can't personally justify it. I do think a hinderer is "worth" the money but to me i would rather own a few knives.

but anyways lets see a 0560 vs xm-18 and xm-24. :)

This thread is starting to get disgusting. People are crapping all over KAI's house and it's starting to ruin this thread among others. Both knives will hold up to any hard use that a folder should be reasonably exposed to.

I personally love reading Thomas' posts but I am really starting to understand why things are becoming the way they are.

This thread is starting to get disgusting. People are crapping all over KAI's house and it's starting to ruin this thread among others. Both knives will hold up to any hard use that a folder should be reasonably exposed to.

I personally love reading Thomas' posts but I am really starting to understand why things are becoming the way they are.

That may be my fault that you feel that way ssblood. But I'd like to clarify that I'm familiar with the knives I asked ZT 0560 owners to rate them against. Being that Zero Tolerance has always produced monster folders, of the hard use variety, I didn't feel the question was out of line to ask. I was simply seeking out 1st hand information.

I rate a ZT 0300 series right up with Stider & Hinderer but given the cut-outs on this one and the blade, I figure it would be right with an Umnazaan or better. Crap on KAI - not me, it's a great company! :eek:

I wasn't referring to you cziv. I generally respect your opinion pretty well.

The pictures I have seen of the production situation with the 560 almost seem midtech to me. There are humans putting them together. I'm sure they are making sure everything is adjusted correctly, the blade is centered, the finish is flawless. They are cut on a cnc machine just like Strider and Hinderer. Exactly what would be different than the 560?

At what point is the lock bar side not thick enough to be hard use? How is a milled liner going to affect strength? How many are strong enough to twist one of these knives to distort the handles or make that liner fail?

In all honesty, between a XM and the 560 there will be a F&F and ergonomic difference but as for absolute strength neither will let you down batoning or in an extreme use situation. If you break the pivot or handle you will probably have some more serious things to worry about. I would personally rank the Umnum below at the bottom end of toughness myself. In warranty situations also.

Also, hopefully by mid April I will have a 3" flipper, the 560 information I have seen so far has lessened my desire for a 3 1/2" flipper.

Last edited:
the xm's are defiantly more hard use knives, the xm's don't have milled out handles. they also have thicker ti. i guarantee the fit and finish on the custom hinderer will be better than the production line zt 0560. i pre ordered a 0560 because it seems awesome, all the great hinderer features. a hinderer design also. but most of all i would not be buying that expensive of a knife. i just can't personally justify it. I do think a hinderer is "worth" the money but to me i would rather own a few knives.

but anyways lets see a 0560 vs xm-18 and xm-24. :)

You guarantee it, Really, wow.

I am much more impressed and confident in my 0300 than my Sebenza. Both are S30v. The ZT 0300 just feel tougher...we all know it's beefier and it may just be a personal preference. It also may be how much I paid. ZT was a blem from kershaw guy...Sebenza was new from true north knives...big price difference. I do wish I got the Umnumzaan. I can't wait to compare the 0561 to my 0300, Sebie and my friends SMF.

I hope to get one sooner or later when funds allow. Closest I will come to a Hinderer knife, so thanks to Kai and Rick.

Thanks for the pictures of the knife, it looks great!

I don't think it is fair to compare the 560 to a Hinderer. If they both have the same steel, pivot, texturing, cost and other features, then fine.
But there are too many differences between them.

They are both amazing knives in their own right and can easily stand on their own.

I am considering the 0560/561 - but wonder why, as I am not so fond of AO knives, even if I do have a ZT-0301 and love it! It opens 'politely', a benefit. I'll check out the 560/561 when it becomes available locally. Now - about perceived quality - and possible duplication.

I have three ZTs - the mentioned 0301 and a pair of 0551s. My most expensive knife is a StarTac Umnumzaan, with my other CR folder, a small plain S35VN Sebbie, as my next most expensive knife. I also have had access to a few Hinderers. I am sorry - I know the Hinderers must be better - that much more moola has to buy something - but, the 0551 is a hard act to follow. It is very similar to the 'zaan, too. If I hadn't bought the 'zaan to commemorate an important event in my life, I certainly wouldn't spend that much on it now - not when an 0551, an 0301, and the nicest Vic SAK I have would sum to the same amount. It's all in perceived value. My 0551 is a hard act to follow. Of course, it is not an Umnumzaan in it's build quality - but it isn't far off, either. I expect to be similarly impressed with the 560/561 when I get to fondle them locally. Of course, I am easily amused... I had a chili dog and some diet pop for dinner last night.

Stainz

Stainz - The 0560 and 0561 are not assisted openers. They are manuals with a bearing pivot system.

The elitists need to crank it back a notch. Not everyone can afford secondary market prices on xm's and not everyone qualifies to buy directly from Mr. Hinderer himself. I will be selling off a few things and skipping a few lunches to make sure I get one of these bad boys! Looking real good if the only thing people are complaining about are these kinds of things...

Back