#%}€ ME!!! I just chipped the hell out of the edge on my 5!

Well, after being so elated at how the 5 held it's beautiful edge after hacking at some pine today, I had the bright idea to slice some paper after sharpening. I ended up planting the blade down on my sharpmaker rods which chipped the SNIP out of my edge. After 2 more hours on the brown rods the chips are still huge. SNIP me I just got this knife, and it's literally my favorite knife I have. So if you think you had a SNIP day just read this and feel better about your day.

Can someone at esee grind the chips out of my edge if I pay? Please?! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it sucks, but you might wanna edit out your naughty words before an Admin gives a friendly reminder

Aww that sucks!!! Pics? :D

Might be time to invest in some spyderco diamond rods... They really can work magic...

Best of luck man :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Its covered by the warranty. If you want somebody to sharpen it out for you check out Richard J here on the boards, a lot of times he will turn them around in 1 day.

Sorry to hear about your chips...but I'm curious how the heck that can happen to a 5 :confused: Dropping a 1 pound heat treated knife on a less-than-one-ounce skinny ceramic rod ? I know the Sharpmaker rods are hard but to damage an edge that bad? You got any pics how dinged-up it is? ( Must be bad for all that cussin' :rolleyes:)

Sorry to hear about your chips...but I'm curious how the heck that can happen to a 5 :confused: Dropping a 1 pound heat treated knife on a less-than-one-ounce skinny ceramic rod ? I know the Sharpmaker rods are hard but to damage an edge that bad? You got any pics how dinged-up it is? ( Must be bad for all that cussin' :rolleyes:)

I can't believe that it chipped that bad either. I didn't drop the blade, it didn't even hit hard at all. I have no clue why it dinger it up so bad. I had just got done cutting down a little pine with it and striping all the bark. I was so happy that it was still sharp after all that. So I figured why not run it on the sharpmaker, then slice through paper. Well I sliced and sliced right into the top of the white stone. I'm trying to use sandpaper on the stones to grind my way back down to fresh metal but it's not working. Most of the little nicks are out but there is one deep one that is just not coming out.

how hard did you hit the rod ?
i ve hit/touched by mistake the top of the sharpmaker rods with the edge of many knives, and never had any problems
the hits had the pressure driven by the motion i used in sharpening, so it wasnt very hard, but it is kind of strange to chip 1095 steel like you say
please, post some pics if you can

Get on a benchstone or belt grinder and work on the the worst chip is what I'd do. Focus on that area somewhat till the chip is out, then feather the rest of the edge to match as best you can. I've done that on my chips as well ( very few in the last 40 years , mostly on axes) I do not think the Sharpmaker is the best tool to repair this issue , Imo Your better off with a benchstone or belt grinder to fix it.

ive had vg 10 steel roll and chip a little from droping on the edge of a glass table, but it wasnt very deep, a third of a mm maybe less, and it went away with sharpening and use in a few weeks

it makes sense. the ceramic is real hard. i've put big gouges in the side of a knife before because i was careless with the white stones.

It sounds like you don't know how to use a Sharpmaker and it also sounds like you think a tiny chip is big deal.

I have no trouble at all believing you chipped it when you hit the edge of the ceramic rod that was most likely laying on a table.

Ceramic is hard, real hard.... probably harder than the knife steel.

The blade edge happened to hit the ceramic edge at just the right angle and it chipped.

Bad break for you, I feel you pain. :(

Unasked for advice:
Don't screw it up worse tonight in your haste to "fix" it. Take your time on it.. after you calm down. :)

It sounds like you don't know how to use a Sharpmaker and it also sounds like you think a tiny chip is big deal.

Sounds like I don't know how to use the sharpmaker? Are you serious? I didn't damage the blade DURING sharpening, since you seemed to miss that two times I've mentioned it above. I accidentally ran the edge onto the top of one of the stones that sticks up over 6 inches off the table.

Nice try.

how hard did you hit the rod ?
i ve hit/touched by mistake the top of the sharpmaker rods with the edge of many knives, and never had any problems
the hits had the pressure driven by the motion i used in sharpening, so it wasnt very hard, but it is kind of strange to chip 1095 steel like you say
please, post some pics if you can

Maybe chip isn't the right word. I definite hit the top of the rod, but it seemed to "dent" the edge in. If that makes sense. It pushed the edge in pretty far in one particular spot.

Back