#%}€ ME!!! I just chipped the hell out of the edge on my 5!

Your gettin' there. :thumbup: Your gonna do fine..... :)

Have a good one and RTR.... ;)

Well thanks for not ragging on me and making me feel worse about it.

It's so minimal now that I'm not too worried about it. I know that it will sharpen out soon. If I wasn't so attached to the knife already it wouldn't have been a big deal. Thanks for the help.

Here's my 5 after batoning a loading hole in our makeshift cooktop at the last ESEE campout.

029-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

It all sharpened out nicely.

IMO they're all users, beat'em till they ding, dent, chip and squeel and after that you know you can trust your life to it.

Its a knife made from 1/4" stock, what can you do to hurt it that some stones and time can't fix. I was swingin' a machete in the back yard, right after I got that dude hair raizing sharp, 3rd swing I found a rock hiding in some weeds. Now I got a crater about 2" from the tip. It'll buff out.

My BK2 has seen it fair share of edge beat downs too, but they come out. No worries CSS, your ESEE will live to chip again another day.

Moose

Wow you just made me feel so much better! Thank you! Those are worse than mine, how long did it take you to sharpen them out?

If those came out then mine will too. That's awesome man thanks for that. I'm just going to use the hell out of this knife and not worry anymore. You're right, it's a tool meant to be used. If those dings can come out with sharpening then I'm good to go!:thumbup:

Here's my 5 after batoning a loading hole in our makeshift cooktop at the last ESEE campout.

029-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

It all sharpened out nicely.

IMO they're all users, beat'em till they ding, dent, chip and squeel and after that you know you can trust your life to it.

Well thanks for not ragging on me and making me feel worse about it.
You are most welcome.. but nothing to "rag" on you about. You gotta learn somehow... sometime. :)

And anybody who would "rag" on you at this point.. past good ole' kidding around of course.. :D .... would be nothing but a "turd". ;)
IMO anyway...... ;)

On a side note... your "stock" went way up with me when you didn't jump on the "warranty bandwagon"... :D
I feel about like 'adaman04' on that... he pretty well summed it up a few posts up.

Anyway, have a good one...... :thumbup: :)

Wow you just made me feel so much better! Thank you! Those are worse than mine, how long did it take you to sharpen them out?

If those came out then mine will too. That's awesome man thanks for that. I'm just going to use the hell out of this knife and not worry anymore. You're right, it's a tool meant to be used. If those dings can come out with sharpening then I'm good to go!:thumbup:

Belt sander took them out in about 7 seconds and then about 15 minutes of cleaning up on the strop with some sandpaper and she splits atoms again.:D

Ohhh. :( I don't have a belt sander so it's going to take me a looooot longer. It's all good though.

I could have done it with just the sandpaper but it would have taken heavier grits than I have on hand and yes, a bit more time.

I doubt you'd find a knife in my arsenal that doesn't have a chip, ding, scratch or the like. I don't really go nuts trying to get them out, they do it themselves over time and with use.

Don't sweat the small stuff brother.

Good advice shotgunner. I guess I over reacted a bit, but I haven't really ever dinged a blade and I thought it was the end of the world.

When I get my camera I'm going to take some pictures for y'all over thanksgiving break. It's going to get used, hard. :)

Good advice shotgunner. I guess I over reacted a bit, but I haven't really ever dinged a blade and I thought it was the end of the world.

When I get my camera I'm going to take some pictures for y'all over thanksgiving break. It's going to get used, hard. :)

Hey, I understand. You pay alot of hard earned money for those toys and it's frustrating when they loose the luster they had when new.

But, it's like a new car. You get that first ding and your really pissed but it's like a coming of age ritual for the car, they run better and you work them harder after you get that first scratch out of the way.;)

Ohhh. :( I don't have a belt sander so it's going to take me a looooot longer. It's all good though.

With your luck at maintenance if you get a belt sander before and after pics are required:D. If you are not very careful you 5 will look like an Izulu in very short order. If you do decide to get a belt sander the best advice I can give you is get several junk knives and practice on them before you take a belt sander to a knife you love. But don't sweat the small stuff,we all have to learn somewhere and you are doing fine.:thumbup:

With your luck at maintenance if you get a belt sander before and after pics are required:D. If you are not very careful you 5 will look like an Izulu in very short order. If you do decide to get a belt sander the best advice I can give you is get several junk knives and practice on them before you take a belt sander to a knife you love. But don't sweat the small stuff,we all have to learn somewhere and you are doing fine.:thumbup:
:D.. Amen..... :D

Pay careful attention to what this man has said CTS.... he speaks the truth. :thumbup:

And don't feel bad, I remember the first time I chipped one I almost cried. And that was just 3 days ago....... :D

Not really, it was 50 years ago when I was 8. I still remember it though, it taught me a lesson that I still remember today. :thumbup: :)

I did almost cry though, my Daddy would have "killed" me if I had cussed. :D

There is no way this can be that bad I hacked through a framing nail with my junglas (same steel and HT) by accident once and that sharpened out freehand in about 20 min !!! Your little ding will sharpen out over time and will not effect performance !!!

It's not a chip (or ding)! It's a serration! :D

It is also a tool. Used tools acquire dings, dents, chips, and scratches. Over time, each mark adds character to the tool, giving it a personality or sorts.

Or maybe that's just me. ?? :eek:

You sure got that right brother.

I'm just a little confused about how you got multiple chips/dings from accidently hitting the ceramic rod, did you hit it a bunch of times and just not notice? Maybe I misread what happened exactly. Good to hear that they aren't as bad as you thought though.

I'm just a little confused about how you got multiple chips/dings from accidently hitting the ceramic rod, did you hit it a bunch of times and just not notice? Maybe I misread what happened exactly. Good to hear that they aren't as bad as you thought though.

I had just sliced through a sheet of paper and I was in the motion of setting my knife down. I wasn't paying attention and I slammed the blade down edge first onto the top of one of the white stones.

It only hit once but it kind of bounced(?) and put one deep dent, then about 3 more dents which were all smaller than the one before.

Back