#%}€ ME!!! I just chipped the hell out of the edge on my 5!

Maybe chip isn't the right word. I definite hit the top of the rod, but it seemed to "dent" the edge in. If that makes sense. It pushed the edge in pretty far in one particular spot.

if that is the case, than it seems like a rolled edge, typical for carbon steel
maybe it can be fixed by steeling it

First you mess up the scales now you ding the blade.

Remind me to put my knives away around you.

I have no trouble at all believing you chipped it when you hit the edge of the ceramic rod that was most likely laying on a table.

Ceramic is hard, real hard.... probably harder than the knife steel.

The blade edge happened to hit the ceramic edge at just the right angle and it chipped.

Bad break for you, I feel you pain. :(

Unasked for advice:
Don't screw it up worse tonight in your haste to "fix" it. Take your time on it.. after you calm down. :)

Ceramic is so much harder than any blade steel.

It will easily damage any steel.

That is why you can use it to sharpen steel.

If you ruined your edge on an ESSE, just send it back, they will replace it.

If you would rather fix it, move to a rougher stone.

Sounds like a rolled edge. Take a rod from the sharpmaker and try "edge trailing". Pushing the edge back so to speak.

Sounds like a rolled edge. Take a rod from the sharpmaker and try "edge trailing". Pushing the edge back so to speak.

I have. It straightened up but there is still a divot in the blade about 1/16 of an inch deep. I've been running it on 180 grit sandpaper and it has improved, but not disappeared. I really don't want to warranty over this so I hope I can fix it. It was my stupid mistake.

Well I figured I'd give an update. Been trying to sharpen out the only nick left. It a LOT less noticeable than when it happened. There is only that one spot left that is damaged, and it hangs when trying to slice paper.

I guess that's good enough for me since this is a hard use woods knife. I won't be slicing paper out in the woods so I guess this edge is good enough for me. It just sucks that I had a pristine edge and because I wasn't paying attention I now have an edge with chips in it. Everything happens for a reason I guess so maybe learning this lesson now saved me some trouble down the road. It still sucks that I messed up the edge on my favorite knife. I guess I'll be ordering another one though, so all is not lost. Thanks for all the tips on how to fix it.

~~I really don't want to warranty over this so I hope I can fix it. It was my stupid mistake.
Hats off and kudos to you for that statement... seriously. :thumbup: :)

Well I figured I'd give an update. Been trying to sharpen out the only nick left. It a LOT less noticeable than when it happened. There is only that one spot left that is damaged, and it hangs when trying to slice paper.

I guess that's good enough for me since this is a hard use woods knife. I won't be slicing paper out in the woods so I guess this edge is good enough for me. It just sucks that I had a pristine edge and because I wasn't paying attention I now have an edge with chips in it. Everything happens for a reason I guess so maybe learning this lesson now saved me some trouble down the road. It still sucks that I messed up the edge on my favorite knife. I guess I'll be ordering another one though, so all is not lost. Thanks for all the tips on how to fix it.
Thanks for the update... In time, with repeated sharpening; the "nick" will finally disappear and this 'learning experience' will be nothing but a memory. :)

I would guess you dented the edge and not actually broke out a chunk of steel. We've all done this at one time or another. Would have loved to have seen photos before you continued to sharpen. Don't worry about it. It will sharpen out over time. Not trying to be a smartass but I have to ask what all you are doing with this knife to require as much maintenance as you have been doing in the past few days. Are you homeless and living in the woods? :D Maybe it's just my style but even during a week long survival class I rarely have to do any maintenance on my blade until I'm out of the bush. Again, would love to see pics of the knife and what all you are doing.

Ooops. I doubt it's a chip and I'm sure it will sharpen the rest of the way out.

I tell you what has been frosting my biscuits lately is all this "Don't sweat it, it's covered under warranty" crap on stuff where people have just been negligent or done things to a knife that comes with the territory of using a knife! Not just talking about you, accidents happen and I know this was an accident.

Now that you have your first ding, you don't have to worry about using it hard. Over time the ding will either sharpen out or you'll have even more imperfections from hard use.

It's not a chip (or ding)! It's a serration! :D

It is also a tool. Used tools acquire dings, dents, chips, and scratches. Over time, each mark adds character to the tool, giving it a personality or sorts.

Or maybe that's just me. ?? :eek:

It's not a chip (or ding)! It's a serration! :D

It is also a tool. Used tools acquire dings, dents, chips, and scratches. Over time, each mark adds character to the tool, giving it a personality or sorts.

Or maybe that's just me. ?? :eek:

I agree with you. Used marks make it look better then it does new. :thumbup:

I would guess you dented the edge and not actually broke out a chunk of steel. We've all done this at one time or another. Would have loved to have seen photos before you continued to sharpen. Don't worry about it. It will sharpen out over time. Not trying to be a smartass but I have to ask what all you are doing with this knife to require as much maintenance as you have been doing in the past few days. Are you homeless and living in the woods? :D Maybe it's just my style but even during a week long survival class I rarely have to do any maintenance on my blade until I'm out of the bush. Again, would love to see pics of the knife and what all you are doing.

I was waiting on this. There was really no point at all in me sharpening it because after all the chopping I did tonight it was still slicing paper easily. I guess it's just an OCD type thing that I have to sharpen after each use.

If I would have just kept my hands off of it everything would be fine. And yes, since I have this little imperfection I'm not going to be worried about future damage. This knife is going to get used a LOT. Maybe I'll love it all the more.

I was waiting on this. There was really no point at all in me sharpening it because after all the chopping I did tonight it was still slicing paper easily. I guess it's just an OCD type thing that I have to sharpen after each use.

If I would have just kept my hands off of it everything would be fine. And yes, since I have this little imperfection I'm not going to be worried about future damage. This knife is going to get used a LOT. Maybe I'll love it all the more.
Your gettin' there. :thumbup: Your gonna do fine..... :)

Have a good one and RTR.... ;)

Back