“Grail EDC”

My grail EDC was a Shirogorov F3. Now I have one. Completely satisfied. My possession of it doesn’t preclude adding others to rotate once in a while. A Laconico Keen did that for a couple of weeks but the two I have are now relegated to a kitchen drawer for dinner duty. I am hoping to buy a MBK Laconico EDC when they’re released. I’ll see then if it bumps my Shirogorov. I’m guessing it might for city carry.

Last edited:
I don't really have a Grail EDC, well, I suppose I could consider my Leatherman Charge tti a Grail since it's the most useful and practical tool for me to carry. Multi-Mools aside, I think if I had a ''grail' EDC, I'm the type of person that would buy one to carry and keep it pristine until I could afford to buy another just to keep as a safe queen. Any time I've ever carried a 'high end' folder, I've always been reluctant to use it. Even going as far as carrying a 'beater' blade at the same time so I could keep my real EDC in perfect shape. I'd just end up using the beater for everything and maybe using my high end knife to cut a string, or cut the tag off a pair of gloves or something. Kind of weird now that I think of it.

I agree it is pretty futile to name one knife. But if I had to really choose, if I were forced to choose, it would be the Delica 4. It is so balanced and capable. Great slicer, lightweight, ergonomic, and good value.

At this point in my life, I have come to the full and personal understanding that for me, there's no such thing as a grail knife. I have been fortunate enough to be able to own some exceptionally nice knives, perfect in every detail, both productions and customs. Knives that I'm sure many people (who aren't sick in the head like me) could put in their pocket, and carry that single knife on them for the rest of their days. It would do everything a folding knife could possibly need doing. They'd be happy.

I am envious of those people, because it'll never be me. I mean, I will have gotten in some super spectacular knife, I'll be holding it IN MY HAND as I'm browsing around online...FOR OTHER KNIVES!!!!

It's a sickness, I am sick, and I love it.

my current grail, cpm-m4 is no joke... the only crazy debate in my mind is if I should allow petina development??
4ZYmbWiQ42nA.jpg

I don't particularly have grails; I've never fallen in love with a knife I couldn't get one way or another, just a little patience and selling a couple other knives at most. I also wouldn't say that there's a perfect knife.

But Brian Nadeau's mini Typhoon is about as close to perfect as it gets, in my opinion - he's got the most things right of any of the other hundreds of knives I've had/handled. If only he'd take an order for one in my desired configuration and steel...haha

My current grail, at least until I attain it? A Jason Guthrie Scout (I have yet to decide how I want it pimped out).

The EDC I carry the most? A slightly modded KnifeArt CF small Sebbie with a CF Millit clip and custom CF backspacer. It’s big enough for what I use it for, lightweight and it disappears in my pocket:

After the above, it’s this:

I suppose there was a time when either would be considered my grail, but then I found this forum and stuff like this happened:

(Might’ve also since added a Gareth Bull CF Trapper and Ansø Funk to the stable...)

At the end of the day, while I’ll always pursue my grails (at least as I define them – YMMV), it seems that CRK will remain my go-to. Le sigh...

Regards,
Adam

My grail EDC folder is a Spyderco Gayle Bradley which I have carried since introduced about 10 years ago. My hunting/field grail fixed blade knife is my Spyderco Bill Moran. Neither was terribly expensive, yet the quality and feel are top notch.

My true grail, and I would forsake all others for it.

I have never thought of it in this term before, I love it.

Upon this revelation, no there is no grail for me. Now there are some near mythological knives that I would do near unspeakable things to attain if they were ever available to me. But one that I would forsake all others for, no sir.

Right now it is my Shiro Neon as it gets most of the pocket time. Also love the North Arm Skaha II with the Jade colored scales. Actually waiting on my 2nd one to be here around the end of the month.

I think grails change over time based on your station in life at the time.

I remember plunking down about $120 for a Trailmaster back around late spring 2001/2002. I was in college, and that was literally more money than I had in my checking account (overdrawn by 8 bucks while going to school out of state. Bank piled on the late fees for a couple months without sending me a statement. Soooooo, my first paycheck that summer was wiped out with that mistake. Lesson learned.)

But that chunk of money and steel set me down the path to quality. Soon I found HI and spent even more on what I though were grail khuks. Heck, it took me over 15 years to snag my grail HI sword. I promptly hefted it, fell in love, and then stuck it in the corner and planned my next purchase.

My current edc grail is a large Sebenza. It won't be the most expensive knife I have purchased, but it will be the most expensive one I purchased with the plan to pocket it and USE it. I have made a mental promise that I am buying this knife because I earned it. I earned it through hard work completing a degree I failed to attain back in 2003. I plan on actually using it daily.

I'm sure it will live in my pocket for a good long while...until I set my eyes on the next grail;)

I have no problem admitting my problem of eternally chasing the sun:D

My perfect EDC is my BK-14 which I carry on my pocket sheath which also doubles as a wallet.

It's not exotic or expensive, but is the definition of utility and functional... And is essentially a carry-everywhere, all day, every day survival blade.

Easy to field sharpen (I even have a frenzel lens, ferro rod and DMT diamond credit card sharpener in there now .

Durable and reliable. An exotic, stainless blade would be harder to sharpen and more likely to chip, when I need it there .

tE2etl0.jpg

phx0nh5.jpg

TdZNRpW.jpg

For outdoor use / chores, etc (snowblower / lawnmower, fishing, hiking, etc), I carry the knifek centrally the belt in Kydex with the handle at 12:00, so that it can be reached at anytime with either hand.

I'm just too practical I think and there is some sadness that I've already found MY perfect EDC blade .

The thing is built like a tank and I would trust my life on it without having doubts or regrets about the knife.

Of course the Gerber EAB is great for Amazon boxes / cardboard, a Sandvik stainless Opinel No.6 is perfect for slicing food and as a more gentlemanly knife for the workplace...

But I'm still never without my BK-14!

For many years my grail knife was the next Spyderco Military Sprint...
While carrying a plain-jane S30V everywhere...

Now it is my Shiro Cannabis... until I get up the $$$ for a Shiro Sigma

Working again = buying again!

Back