1 CRK Knife For 1 Year!

Another month completed. I’m now >4 months and still going...

That being said, I almost blew it this week. I misplaced the large Star-Benza I’m doing this challenge with. It went out of sight last Sunday and even after turning my whole place upside down like a cop looking for evidence, I couldn’t find it anywhere. I was starting to think I might even have actually lost it, but I couldn’t accept that. I knew that if I replaced it, it’d undoubtedly re-appear (probably in a puff of smoke) moments after I received the replacement. Anyhow, I went without carrying a knife on Monday, Tuesday and yesterday just to avoid blowing the challenge prematurely. I was getting ready to give up and then today--SHAZAM!--my knife magically reappeared. I’d left it on a closet shelf. Long story short = Cinco de Mayo; too many brews; got inattentive with where I left a $500 knife; I was lucky I happened to stumble across it today.

Anyhow... since I didn’t carry any knife during the three days while my challenge knife was MIA, I’m still in the running. With luck this should be my first, last and only dramatic soap opera anecdote during this challenge (however far I may end up taking it).

Great story Stumpy72 Stumpy72 !

I might have to add some type of "Drunken MIA" Clause to the contest as well, but you did great by NOT carrying anything else while you were sans blade. Way to go with that quick thinking!

That reminds me of something about this challenge, too. With me my knife is either in my pocket or in this one place in my side stand shelf where I keep my watch. If I'm wearing different pants the next day I will always take out my knife, wallet, etc. and put them ONLY in that one place due to my fear of going through exactly what happened to you. A place for everything, and everything in its place!

Glad you found it, and congrats to you again for your quick thinking to save your entry in this challenge!

Just going two months is impressive, but YOU going 2 months is a miracle! Great job!!! :p

Just a reminder that as long as you are carrying your challenge knife you can carry other knives as well, including other CRK's.

Unless people are new here (or have been living under a rock) they may not know that Ms. Wolfe has one of the most extensive collections in this group.

Is there any particular reason the Inkosi has been beating everything else out for pocket time lately?

The way I do it is I carry a smaller knife at work, leaving the Inkosi in the car. I can't have a full sized knife in the building, but it's safe to leave stuff in the cars here. Then as I'm leaving work I put the Inkosi (or whatever large I'm carrying) in my pocket. Not sure if that qualifies or not, but as I said, this was never intended but is just happening.

Inkosi_NumberedCF-Stone3-.jpg

The way I do it is I carry a smaller knife at work, leaving the Inkosi in the car. I can't have a full sized knife in the building, but it's safe to leave stuff in the cars here. Then as I'm leaving work I put the Inkosi (or whatever large I'm carrying) in my pocket...

OK I gave this some serious thought and I'm going to make the ruling that this DOES count (based on the bolded/underlined sentence in your quote) as it sounds like the only reason you are not carrying the large Inkosi is that you CAN'T carry it at work, plus the fact that it goes back into your pocket ASAP after work.

To me this is an addendum to the rule of carrying/using a specific knife at work, or for a specific work function, however in your case, the opposite is true - you would probably carry the large if you could (as a large could do anything a small could do PLUS what it couldn't), but you can't since the size is prohibited at your workplace.

Another example would be to think of it like a police officer. They may have to use a certain weapon while on duty, but then they switch to a different one for off-duty carry.

I believe there are certain situations that we're faced with in life where you just can't carry your knife, however the biggest thing is that when you can carry one, it's THE SAME one, all the time.

Looks like you're still in this one young lady! :thumbsup:

Mulligan.

Challenge accepted . Considering I don't collect knives and only keep what I use this should be fun. As long as I can fondle!

I am game with this CF LG 21. I wanted to get my first new one in years and this was it.

Photo updates to come.

I will call it Day 1.

View attachment 1008977

Beautiful sebbie!

I have been considering a sebenza for some time and would prefer the size of a large 21 but am concerned w the nearly 5 oz weight and it ending up in a drawer. Your CF looks like it would be considerably lighter weight but i cant find any info on that one anywhere. (Discontinued?). Any idea what yours weighs or where i could find specs on it? I didnt see it on CRK site or BHQ. I could go w a small 21 (3oz) but afraid it will be too small. Id like To try the 1 yr challenge although it would be tough for me but maybe if i had the "right" knife.

Beautiful sebbie!

I have been considering a sebenza for some time and would prefer the size of a large 21 but am concerned w the nearly 5 oz weight and it ending up in a drawer. Your CF looks like it would be considerably lighter weight but i cant find any info on that one anywhere. (Discontinued?). Any idea what yours weighs or where i could find specs on it? I didnt see it on CRK site or BHQ. I could go w a small 21 (3oz) but afraid it will be too small. Id like To try the 1 yr challenge although it would be tough for me but maybe if i had the "right" knife.
Those large carbon fiber face 21s come in at 3.7oz
I have a large inkosi Insingo CF face in my rotation and love it.
Look here for more info...
https://chrisreeve.com/blogs/how-tos/where-to-buy-exclusive-configurations

Beautiful sebbie!

Go to the CRK website and look into Help > FAQ > Exclusive Configurations and you’ll find the name of the dealer that has an exclusive on the CF faced Sebenza. That dealer isn’t a supporting dealer here at BF, but their website will have info on that model.

65B2E3BE-DEE0-401A-B90E-CCE400B0C327.jpeg 9D504C27-A94A-4712-AB38-32509F350A60.jpeg Figured I’d post a 6 months update. Technically it’s been 6 months and two days so I’m over halfway there. I don’t carry anything in my right pocket but a knife and my phone. The titanium has held up very well imo. The pocket clip shows a lot of wear and has certainly caught on a few things. I also picked up some stains on the blade from cutting up a package of insect killing liquid (don’t do that!) Carrying a knife long term really shows you weaknesses of a knife. My two biggest for the 21 are the pocket clip and the thumb stud. The thumb stud is just so dang uncomfortable. I’ve gotten used to it. But a $400+ knife shouldn’t have such a horrible thumbstud. My only issue on the clip is that it does tend to catch on stuff.

With that all said, I still love this knife and have grown to appreciate more with every month that passes.

By far the best part of this knife is the blade. It just cuts so well. The hollow grind is amazing.

But I will warn those of you who want to try out this challenge, it’s going to ruin your other knives. I picked up my pm2 out of the safe the other day just to fiddle with it and it felt so uncomfortable in the hand!

firefighterguy firefighterguy Thanks for the update, and I believe you're in the lead with the challenge so far, and probably by a healthy margin. If anyone else is close (or ahead) please chime in. I just didn't want to go through all 13 pages to try and figure out where people were. Especially since I've missed this TWICE!!!

I agree with what you said though. Carrying only one knife gives you a great opportunity to really get to know it, and after a while nothing else feels right in your hand. And while having a lot of great knives to pick from is a blast, I believe having just one that you've carried for a long time is even better!

I’m debating if I want to try this with another knife next year. I’m thinking either a hinderer xm18 or a strider smf. Ha I better make it through this year first.

View attachment 1125313
I started my 1YC on 4/8 so I wanted to post a 1 month update. I’ve carried and used my Inkosi daily and it has seen quite a bit of use. I have removed the factory lanyard and bead and dissembled and cleaned twice. It feels pretty well broke in at this point and I’ve been able to touch up the edge with a strop and sharpmaker fine rod. I’m itching to get it on the wicked edge but so far it strips back to shaving sharp. I’ve been happy with the CF so far no signs of wear. I EDCed a PJ Inkosi Insingo and can say I like the small weight savings of the CF. I’ll also add that I’m happy with the toughness of the S35 heat treat on this one the blade frequently comes in contact with brass, bronze, copper, and aluminum lugs and wire. Prior to this challenge I was carrying a large griptilian sheepsfoot in M4 and so far I really haven’t missed it. I’ll post another update in another month.

Is that a large? I’m assuming so, based on the size of the bolts and nuts.

Great looking knife. I ordered the same thing last week, got it in, and so far I haven’t been able to do anything with mine but to admire it!

I’m lucky though, I can do so because only I have a large micarta Insingo Sebenza to utilize whenever I need a knife and fulfill the need. :)

My MAGA-benza has been my daily carry blade since 1-20-2017. Been bumped out for a few days here and there, maybe a month total in that time. I guess I might as well join in now and commit to no other knife for a year.

ETA: Shouldn't be too hard, if I am still allowed to carry my Clinch Pick that I carry solely as a defensive weapon retention device for my handgun, right?

My MAGA-benza has been my daily carry blade since 1-20-2017. Been bumped out for a few days here and there, maybe a month total in that time. I guess I might as well join in now and commit to no other knife for a year.

ETA: Shouldn't be too hard, if I am still allowed to carry my Clinch Pick that I carry solely as a defensive weapon retention device for my handgun, right?

I carry a CP as well so I hope that doesn’t disqualify me. I never cut anything with it tho. Anything I cut I use the Sebenza with.

Back