165OT Woodsman/UH Prospector ramble

Last month a 165 was auctioned on eBay that had no blade stamping at all. I can't remember if anyone ever mentioned seeing this before or not. I have been tracking most of these auctions. The last nine 165s up for auction on eBay went for an average winning bid of $60.73. The 36 that I have tracked so far had winning bids averaging $65.13.

John T. Jeffery
"A man without a knife is a man without a life."

Codger,
Just to clarify... Third highest serial number with the tang stamp still on the left? Which raises a curious question: Were any serialed after the tang stamp was moved to the right?

Sheathmaker... Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Greg

Greg: Thanks! I was in Iraq when you posted that, but when I returned to the States I thought I had read all of the posts on the 165. I may have missed your's or it got into the dead brain cells I'm growing. Thanks!

John T. Jeffery

Last month a 165 was auctioned on eBay that had no blade stamping at all. I can't remember if anyone ever mentioned seeing this before or not...John T. Jeffery

SNATCH!:D

Bridgeman said:
... Third highest serial number with the tang stamp still on the left? Which raises a curious question: Were any serialed after the tang stamp was moved to the right?

I've recorded a serial number right on a 165OT. There were some Waldens stamped right (I have one), but not many serialized that I have seen.

Thankyou again for the leather care tips, Paul. I hope you are staying busy as you want to be, but no busier.

I appreciate anything you gents can add to my records of 165OT/UH serial numbers. Every little bit helps.

Michael

By the way, while I'm on the subject of the going auction prices for 165s on eBay - Out of the last nine the high was $107.50, and the low was $37.29. Out of the last 36 the high was $158.49, and the low was $20.50. I don't know about you, but I feel better about the $40.97 I paid for my oak rehandled Walden on eBay, and the $40.00 I paid for my Ellenville Old Timer last fall at a local gun show. Both end up well below what I am seeing as the average being over $60.00 lately.

But, when one shows up in mint condition with the original box, etc., the hand seems to go towards the wallet as if it had a mind of its own! :)

John T. Jeffery

I hear you. By the way, the one without a tangstamp was $42.00. I have several patterns of fixed blade Old Timers with no tangstamp. My best guess is that they were held for warranty replacements. One with a Schrade stamp was only good as a replacement for one with a Schrade stamp. Without a tangstamp, they could also replace a Craftsman, Hoffritz, Penny's, etc. The key thing to watch for though is knives which have the tangstamp ground off. This denotes a second, a reject.

Okay...
Several replies at once here.

Codger, how odd. A lower serial than mine, but on the right side. Have you seen a higher serial than mine on the left? I think that is a yes, but just to confirm.

Regarding my stampless 165. It was bought at Ace Hardware in the early 70's. Please send me the auction number of the stampless one. I'd like to look at it before it goes away.

John T., please send the auction number of the $158 knife. Curious on that one as well. BTW, I got the BIN for $39.95. :D I missed the 37.29. That was a nice knife! Now I have created another 165 nut. I took mine into work and he has me shopping for him. Wants me to sharpen it as well. I have had quite the luck with the "shaving sharp" -ness, as is evidenced by the bare patches on my left arm!
Greg

I want to add a little amplification to what John T. Jeffrey said about sharpening with the Lansky system. You should be able to use the 20 degree slot on almost any knife (but probably not the 17). The little "slot" on the end of the clamp is only for really small blades like a small pocket knife. On something like a 165 the clamp should be out on the blade more. The clamp needs to be positioned more towards the tip of the blade centered about 40% of the blade length back from the tip. This is not the linear center on most blades, but, it is actually the blade edge center because of the curvature of the blade. You want to make the same number of strokes on each side of the blade all through the process. You do NOT want to end up with a curl (called the "burr") on the edge of the blade when your'e done. However, it is imperative that you develop one during the use of each successive stone, this is the only way to know if you have completely re-set the blade edge angle. When you first notice the "burr" that is your sign that you have actually re-set the edge to your new angle. You should then move the "burr" back and forth from side to side a time or two to confirm that you have re-set the edge angle. Next, place the "burr" dead center so that you get the same drag both ways when pulling your thumb PERPINDICULARLY across the blade. As the knife gets sharper you may have to use very light, one directional strokes to center the "burr"; otherwide, you'll just keep moving it from side to side. Then you can move on to the next finer stone. Never go down to the next finer stone with the "burr" off to one side; you will pay hell getting it off with a finer stone. Most of the time with the ceramic stone and almost always with the Sapphire stone, you will need to use one directional strokes toward the blade edge. If you've done everything else right, by the time you get to these two stones, a backstroke will actually take the debris from your honing oil and dull your edge. If you really want a super sharp edge that will last; sharpen the knife at 20 degrees and then set the final bevel at 25 degrees with a very few strokes of the ceramic stone. For some reason, with carbon steel blades, particularly some of the Schrades, I have had more success putting the very final polish on the edge working freehand with a short piece of really fine ceramic rod that I have with the Sapphire Lansky stone. To really maximize the sharpness of your blade you need an edge tester. Razor Edge Systems is the only outfit I know of that makes one. They only run about $10.00 plus shipping. Buy several because every one of your buddys that sees yours in action will want one. They are used extensively in the meat industry at plants that are big enough to have seperate sharpening departments. It will allow you to feel every microscopic imperfection in the blade edge. When you take a hair popping sharp knife and then get that edge microscopically smooth it is amazing how sharp that knife really is. With mine, I can take off a large (75 lb.+) lambs head with a single effortless stoke. Hope that helps. Sorry to be so longwinded; but, the devil is really in the details when it comes to the difference between a really sharp knife and a really, really sharp knife.

Please send me the auction number of the stampless one. I'd like to look at it before it goes away.

John T., please send the auction number of the $158 knife. Curious on that one as well.

Greg: 140077429838 is the auction number for the 165 with the unstamped blade for which bidding ended on Jan. 28th.

I only keep the auction numbers for knives that I purchase, so I do not have one for the 165 that sold for $158.00. It sold enough months ago that it does not come up with an advanced search in eBay. :thumbdn: I do try to make a habit of keeping notes in my database file that explain higher than usual winning bids for the knives I am tracking, but in this case I must have fell asleep at the switch! :eek: I went over my notes twice, even looking for mistaken identification (like 156 instead of 165), but no dice, no joy, no explanation. :confused: It had to be a beaut!

John T. Jeffery

Barry: What a tremendous post on the finer points of getting a great edge! No apologies necessary for its length! You were on a roll. Only someone who had done as many as I have can appreciate the truth of what you posted, and you went beyond what I have learned. That made it worth getting up this morning! This one will be cut, pasted, and kept. Is it copyrighted! :)

I jokingly, but semi-seriously, tell the soldiers in my unit that I sharpen knives for that they are going to have to start signing legal release forms, and I am going to have to take out an insurance policy if they keep cutting themselves with the knives I sharpen for them. They develop bad habits with their dull knives!

John T. Jeffery

John T.,
Thanks. Reading above, I believe it was Codger that took that unmarked one home! I have been into PUMAs and Blackjacks lately, but am relaxing a bit on the Blackjacks and getting a bit more into the Schrades. I have really fallen in love with the 165. I'm on the prowl!

Greg

Barry / John T.,
My sharpening is much less scientific, but I am somewhat revered around the shop. Convex edge via drawing backwards over sandpaper on a double thicknesses of mouse pad. 220, 400 wet, 600 wet. VERY sharp edge. For what it's worth.

Greg

Sheathmaker,
WOW, what a difference! Of course my sheath is now no longer a Burger King special edition! I did it until my hand got tired. :rolleyes: There is still a shadow, and the period after the K was quiet deep, but still a major improvement. I will post a photo tomorrow.
Thanks again,
Greg

Okay...
Several replies at once here.

Codger, how odd. A lower serial than mine, but on the right side. Have you seen a higher serial than mine on the left? I think that is a yes, but just to confirm.

Regarding my stampless 165. It was bought at Ace Hardware in the early 70's. Please send me the auction number of the stampless one. I'd like to look at it before it goes away....Greg

Yes, here is the link to the ended auction I won:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=140077429838&rd=1&rd=1

Here are the highest serials from my records.
#17643 (R-SW)
#17769 (R-SW)
#18015 (L-SW)
#18172 (R-SW)
#18685 (L-SW)
#20220(L-SW)
#20735 (L-SW)
#20969 (L-SW)
# no serial (R-SW)

Barry, great post! Thanks for taking the time to write that out. What do you do for a larger sheep head? :D Seriously though, I appreciate you writing that all out. I have printed it out and will use for reference.

I purchased a 165 LTD Ducks Unimited recently, it appeared on ebay for $100 US buy it now price. With post to Australia it cost me about $160 AUD total. I still consider it a bargain and right up there as one of my all time favourites. I re-call there was one with a box on ebay about 6 months ago. I think it went for its price of $175 US, the seller had it properly appraised at around $200 US.
I also purchased a Walden 165 UH but on arrival the pitting from corrosion was much deeper than I expected. I ruined the knife trying to remove the pitting. That was intentional as I was not happy with the pitting on it anyway. I consider a mint 165 UH Walden something very special indeed. Not many around even less in the future because of corrosion.
I think 165s are an oddity they dont look that great in a photo but they are beautiful to hold.
Regards Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger_64
, explain to her why I need a dozen 15OTs, two dozen 152OTs, and a dozen 165OTs, ten LB7s, and what packs of antique razor blades and an electric vegetable peeler have to do with writing a book.

Michael

Michael,
I'm getting old and my memory is the 2nd thing that went but I'm pretty sure that I could dig at least one thread out of the archives in which you said the 165ot was your favorite fixed blade !!
If so,why do you have twice as many Sharpfingers? :jerkit:
Ron

John T. Jeffrey. Its interesting that you would mention dull knives. Many meat industry accidents involving knives stem from dull knives. When a knife is dull it causes the user to apply excessive cutting force and become fatigued. Stobbing is the most frequent accident. Stobbing occurs when a tired meat cutter doesn't quite clear the edge of the cutting surface; the blade tip jams into the edge of the cutting surface causing the hand to slide off the handle and onto the blade. OUCH! Fine motor control and mental concentration is lost as fatigue sets in from straining with a dull knife. This leads to a myriad of accidents. Also, when applying excessive force the sheer physics magnify the consequences of an accident. Hence the addage, "a sharp knife is a safe knife". Besides, a cut from a sharp, smooth blade edge heals quicker.

sheathmaker,
Here are the end results of the Burger King sheath. A shadow is still visible, and a slight indentation in the general area that I did the work, but overall a great improvement. Thanks again,
Greg

after.jpg

Back