1911 help needed.....

Bully,
Sounds like you need a Colt Combat Commander! Mine (series 70) has been 100% reliable with factory and high quality magazines. Only thing I do is change the recoil spring every couple thousand rounds.:thumbup:

Just to clarify, I was not saying that you can't get a good Ruger now. 99%+ are going to work just fine. It's just that, once upon a time, that number was 99.999999999% or thereabouts. ;)
Early on, they were a big offender on the thin dust cover thing---when you can pinch the sides of it and make them move with your fingers, that's too thin. The newest examples seem to be better.

My major disappointments from Ruger are their plastic guns--the LCR is one of the least durable/reliable revolver actions ever conceived, which I've personally seen broken twice, once at my local range (guy pulling the trigger, cylinder not turning) and once at the store when an irate customer pulled in a couple of counters down from me, telling the guys there that Ruger had already fixed his gun once, now the piece of ___ was dead again and he wanted his money back. A REVOLVER. If I don't own one, and yet have been privy to two major failures without looking for them, AND the guys behind the counter there seeming as unsurprised as they did, there's a problem.

The LCP and LC9 pistols with lasers have issues with oil seeping down through the gun and jacking the lasers up.

The SR9/40 slide lock lever spring is just BARELY long enough to be supported in its little pocket on the lever and is prone to falling out, making the gun lock back after every round. Again, this won't happen on the majority of guns, but is an issue which could have been entirely avoided by making the damned spring 1mm longer, which would have no affect on function as it still would be inside the protected notch.

The Ruger American rifle has a weak/cheesy safety assembly, and the synthetic stock is so flimsy the you can twist the forearm into contact with the barrel with your weak-arm wrist; if you think that you won't have the stock bending upward changing the harmonics of that "free floating" barrel when you're shooting on a hot day, think again.

It's stuff like that which just aggravates me. GP-100s, Redhawks, Blackhawks, 77 and #1 series rifles, NON-takedown 10/22 rifles, Mark IIIs, and yes, probably the 1911 from what I've seen, are still guns which they seem to know how to make well. As time goes along, though, and the variations (calibers, finishes, barrel lengths) of the older platforms get thinner and thinner in the Ruger catalogue, I fear they're more and more interested in producing guns that are "good enough" in their eyes, and leaving the work-intensive models behind.

I've had a Para, couple of Colt's, couple of Springfield's, and a Kimber. If something happened to my pistols and I were looking to replace one I would definitely look at STI first.

Eric, I have a new Remington 1911 enhanced & it is very tight & shoots great. I also have a new Ruger 1911, I like it a lot also. both guns shoot anything that I feed them. I gave $650 NIB for the Ruger at the gun show. The Remington I traded for, but they are pretty reasonably priced The Remington is as good as most of the Kimbers that I have had.

I agree here. I own a cz and they are very under rated imho.
Cz custom shop is awesome.
Ive owned para,colt,s&w,rugersand my cz is the most accurate and reliable of those Ive had.Just saying they are worth a look.Also the 9mm nato CZ p_01 is one I will never sell. Like a certain busse and sr knife I have,Ill never part with .
The majority of CZ firearms are made in the U.S. Kansas City, KS to be exact. I live in Kansas City area so it is cool to own a gun that was made very close to me. They have a top notch product and CZ USA is the part of CZ that manufactures in the U.S. Quite a bit are made in the U.S. most of the ones you see except for the surplus military ones. Just correcting you not trying to be rude.

I'll only comment on what I own or have owned. Older Colts, Series 70 and back are good guns. They lack modern features and can be finicky with hollowpoints. Own a Gunsite S&W sc1911, awesome gun. Paid around 900 six or seven years ago for it. Also I got short on cash and sold a Springfield Micro-Compact Loaded. That was a super little carry gun ! Good luck with your search !

I'll add I want a Colt Defender bad and I wish I had the Micro-Compact back !

The majority of CZ firearms are made in the U.S. Kansas City, KS to be exact. I live in Kansas City area so it is cool to own a gun that was made very close to me. They have a top notch product and CZ USA is the part of CZ that manufactures in the U.S. Quite a bit are made in the U.S. most of the ones you see except for the surplus military ones. Just correcting you not trying to be rude.

CZ pistols are not manufactured by CZ-USA. CZ-USA is America's importer of CZ pistols.

They are excellent pistols, and you can find used CZ75Bs in excellent condition for $400-$500.

Last edited:
Leghog you are correct.
Thanks. Also
there are CZ customs built in USA .Most all for serious competition.
From Cz USA custom shop.
Well worth researching.
Eric ,I dont mean to break the
1911 thread .But if you get a chance to hold one of these,Its like no other.
fits like a custom swamprat ,,Busse blade in hand.
point of aim most natural of all my autos.

Here is my P_01
pix497682691_zpsc9367f86.jpg

pix092060377_zps1c7af889.jpg

I'll add I want a Colt Defender bad and I wish I had the Micro-Compact back !

I had a Colt Defender. It had a knack for ejecting the random case into my forehead. Evidently, several people have had this problem on a Colt forum. I will say it was very accurate, reliable and light. Never had that problem with any other pistol.

I had a Colt Defender. It had a knack for ejecting the random case into my forehead. Evidently, several people have had this problem on a Colt forum. I will say it was very accurate, reliable and light. Never had that problem with any other pistol.

Hmm, I'll have to remember that ! Hadn't heard anything bad about 'em until now.

This one was slightly used when I bought it. price was $798 before the "I know the owner of the store" discount. Later added the ivory. It's a lil' Defender size, not a commander, but it's a dandy carry! Oh, & it's got a gutter site, no traditional sites on this one.
photobucket-17466-1382073902182_zps0c7216c7.jpg

Oh btw, it's a Colt New Agent in 45. I'm sure 1911's in other calibers are great, but just not my cup o' tea.

The CZ75B can also be carried locked and cocked/condition one. If you aren't going to carry in condition one, you might want to consider a firearm other than the M1911/M1911A1.

Gave in and installed some VZ Aliens on the E SC today. The oem woods looked great, but slippery and no thumb/mag release relief. Feels much more secure now:thumbup:

SampWE1911WC642_zps2865537e.jpg

Anyone mentioned the 1903/1908?
I love my 1903, it's basically a shrunken 1911, perfect for CC. The .32 is on the small side for some, but the 1908 is .380 which popular CCW round.

That's how you get $2,000 custom Glocks as well. Hell, those damn finger ridges on all of the newer gens need the belt grinder treatment

I was looking at the Gen 4 Glocks and the built in finger grooves did not match up with my hand....ended up with the Ruger SR9c and love it. Also have the Ruger 1911...no complaints with either

I look into the Springfield LW Champion Operator or an older Dan Wesson CBOB. I recently saw a CBOB sell for around 900.

And I shot Bigfoot while riding my unicorn through Atlantis.
Seriously though, if you can find a CBOB (or any Dan Wesson) for $900 jump on it! I traded into a CBOB a few years ago and I love it!

As for guns around the $800 range, I would consider the Springfield Range officer. It's nothing fancy, but it shoots great and is priced about right (IMO). I've also heard good things about the the new offerings from Remington and Ruger. I got the chance to hold the new Remington and wasn't really impressed from a looks/feel aspect, but that has little bearing on performance.

Back