2004 Midwes Khuk Khonvention sign up thread...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
THIS POST IS CONSTANTLY UPDATED FOR ACCURACY, SO LOOK HERE FOR UPDATES. LAST UPDATE: 2-17-04
Post any corrections to this info in this thread and I will update this post.
<NOTE: ATTENDEE LIST IS FULL. SORRY>
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Howdy, y'all!

This year's official Himalayan Imports Midwest Khuk Khonvention will take place on APRIL 3rd, at Nasty's house in the Dayton OH. area. Nasty will email attendees his address and/or directions. We'll work on the details in this offical sign up thread.

*The attractions for the day will include:

++++++++
SPECIAL HIMALAYAN IMPORTS KHONVENTION FEATURES:
--
* A Genuine Himalayan Imports M-43 Raffle! Ticket price $15, One ticket per attendee.

* Rummage through the giant Box-O-Blems fer that next wonderful HI
khuk! Thassrite, hold B4 U pay yer gold! (Thanks to Uncle, Pen!) I think these are being handled by Pen c/o Uncle and HI. Should be a hoot!

* Ferrous whipped up a logo for the 2004 HI MKK to put on yer existing khuk or one you pick up at the khon (Pen and Uncle are lining up Biltons at a special Khonvention price fer etchin). Ferrous'll etch one khuk per person, but may draft a skilled helper or two to expedite the whole process.

*MacHete made shirts, 6.50 per. See the Khonvention shirt thread for details.

+++++++
Other Khonvention features:
---
Seminars or discussions- These by no means need to be some formal class-like thing. They can be info sharing, technique showing, project showing, etc. Feel free to add your ideas or interest, or what you want to know about or share!
--
* Sharpening seminar/discussions:
1. Chakmak and burnishing, Ferrous. I'm just interested in
"comparing notes" on the topic with others.
2. Convexing an edge, Pendentive. He says it best: "No one will
leave with a dull knife."
3. Quick and dirty saber grind, Ferrous. I'll show an alterntive
edge profile to the convex and the flat, which is easily made
back into either profile. This is a strong edge format that is
easy to make and maintain.

* Customization discussions
1. Etching, Ferrous. Showing the process and chemicals I use to
etch steel and brass. Included will be a bit on etching to bring
out the temper line in a blade.
2. Pen? anything? I mean you made a knife from scratch.
3. Anyone want to add their woodchuckery here?
?. Sheath/scabbard/handle customization talks, (leatherworking,
woodworking, etc. Possibly fileworking-Ferrous?

* Demonstrations, cutting exhibitions and discussions (We got wood, can we get some rope and cardboard set up? Tatami mats? Plastic bottles, cans w/water)
1. Pendentive's paper cutting with his convex grinds.
2. Ferrous - Demonstrates why, exactly, the Falcatta is a nasty
weapon, ever since its inception in the bronze age. Cutting demo.
3. DannyinJapan will forward his Ninpo version of a khuk combat
video along to Nasty for all Khon-goers to see (Disclaimer:
Danny respectfully asks for our promise that we Khon-goers will
be very disgretionary with this information, as he does not want
the wrong folks to get hold of this). Danny is a Ninpo
practitioner, 5th Dan Black belt studying in Japan, so this
should be good, on par perhaps with Dr. Duvon's exhibition and
training at last years HI Reno khon.
* Show and tell fer all - Bring yer cool stuff to show and tell!
* Wood will be supplied by some khonvention attendees for chopping.
* Some kinda food (pitch in? I note a buncha cooks in the Cantina...)

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:--------------
Saturday
0800 - Doors Open, arrive when you can
1000 - Unveiling of the BBB (Big Box-o-Blems)
1015 - Let the BBB sale begin!
1100 - Workshops, horsin' around, etc.
1800 - End of events, cleanup starts
1830 - General Swap & Trade, shoot the breeze, etc.
2030 - Raffle for the M43
2100 - Khuks away, break out the firewater

This is a list of Confirmed attendees:<NOTE: ATTENDEE LIST IS FULL. SORRY>
1. Ferrous
2. Nasty
3. Pen
4. Hollowdweller
5. Thomas Linton
6. WarrenR
7. WarrenR's Bro-in-law
8. Roadrunner
9. Trevor (Ferrous' buddy)
10.Semper Fi
11.MacHete (Strong possibility)
12.Brian Katz (Brian in Chi)

If you have any other topics you would like to cover, let us know. Good stuff thus far, a good time will be had by all!

Cheers,

Keith

I just might be able to make it. Home in PA is only 300 miles from there; if I can get a week of leave around that time I'll be there for sure.

Looks to be a good time!

Hopefully Ray (Nasty) will chime in soon and let us know how much we need to chip in for the food, place, etc.

I'll bring my camera and make some vids...;)

And, of course, I'll have some paper...:D

Nobody's gonna leave with a dull knife on the 10th!

Anybody up for a raffle? We could kick in a few extra bucks and I'll get some extra khuks from Uncle...

What else would you guys like to see?

Originally posted by pendentive
Looks to be a good time!

Anybody up for a raffle? We could kick in a few extra bucks and I'll get some extra khuks from Uncle...

What else would you guys like to see?

I'd be up for one. What about taking the handle off? I have one I want to replace, but I have been rather hesitant to attempt taking the handle off. You all could give me some pointers and moral support?

I'd also like to see somebody demonstrate how to bring out the temper line. That would be cool.

There are probably several who could help with this, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll bring the necessary tools just in case. You bring the lemon. :D :eek: :footinmou

Got the OK!

There will be a Giant Box-O-Blems at the Khonvention!!

With some screamin' deals inside...:D

And yes, we will raffle off a nice M43 - ticket price TBD.

What more could you ask for?

Now go and get some more recruits...:eek:

Dan

Be nice if we could wind up with 10 or 15 people.

I might be able to build a couple of "X" type stands to hold logs for chopping fun.;) Also can cut down some trees say 6" or so and bring them.:cool:

Woohoo! Pen and Uncle, you folks rock! Editing initial post to update this stuff...

I agree..we need 10 folks to make it official, and now the lure of the M-43! Cmon and sign up, yall! There's only one way to win the raffle, ad that's BE THERE! Even with 10 folks, the odds are pretty good fer all to win!

Keith

Who else is in this area that would be interested?

I can think of a few I haven't heard from yet...

Bobwhite
Russ Kay
Spence

Just realized that April 10th is Easter Weekend. I had plans, but am willing to cancel them. But...

Is the 10th going to be a problem for anybody else? Would it be better to do it on the 3rd? (I'm open either way)

Let's get some input on this - sooner the better.

Also, Keith - could you specify who's doing what on the seminars, etc.? I want to make sure I know what's expected...

I'll make the changes up top, Pen. It was sort of a brainstorming list to start with, based aroud the skills you and I or others mentioned. (Hint: if anyone else has some special knowledge or talent they'll want to share with a captive audience re: khuks knives, etc. chime in!)

Either okay with me, as long as we sort it out this week. (I celebrate Ostara at the Vernal equinox--March 20th, so all clear there).

So, date change anyone? votes fer April 3rd ot the 10th?

Keith

re: temper line - sounds good to me.

I imagine we'll get a list going, and then just do whatever we get around to doing...it's all got to happen on one day - Saturday.

Pretty much anytime is good for me, but I need a definite date ASAP in order to schedule the time off. I love the idea of a raffle and temper line etching, and I'll see if I can think of any more we could do. One thing I can do is bring along my Edge Pro if anyone wants to see one in person. It's not much for khuks but works wonders on just about everything else.

Since I have Friday April 2nd off,
The 3rd would be better for me.... :)
Couldn't make the 10th due to family Vacation...

Ferrous....Nasty...Semp...?

3rd look OK to you guys? (I would prefer it too)

I'd like to have the date nailed down by the end of the week. Let's keep the ball rolling. I may have to make a few phone calls...:D

April 3rd is fine with me. I don't want to hold things up.

Still not positive I can make it (new computer system at work :( ) but if there is anyway possible, I am going!!

Back