2004 Midwes Khuk Khonvention sign up thread...

Got the pieces of the logo set, the order or form to be determined. I'll scan some images of them or draw them up in a graphics editor. Might be cool, esp if there is a plaque of some sort being awarded for something...like this mysterious competition that has cropped up...

Keith

Nasty,

I'll try to bring a you-know-what load of wood to cut. I own 85 acres, most of it wooded.

I went and bought some bolts yesterday. I am going to try to build some "X" type folding stands we can put logs in and either cut off the end or in the middle of the logs we put on them. I hope to make 2 of those.

I'll try to bring some seasoned oak logs around 6" x 4' and then some pines, poplars or maples in the 3 to 6" range around 7' long. Hopefully I can find some smaller stuff (4" or less) for the 12" to 15" khukuris, and then we can use the larger diameter stuff for the big guys.

I hope to cut some of uniform diameter so we can compare cutting speed of various khuks and maybe of the same khuks made by difft kamis? I am interested in this cause all the bura stuff I have seems to cut fastest.

If you can have a campfire where you live you could burn the wood that eve.

I have a full size Ford truck so I can bring enough wood. I think.

I can bring a tent, but do you have any trees? Say about 12' apart? If so I'd like to use my hammock to sleep in if that's ok.

Sorry Hollow...I've got a tiny yard and a new house. Only a couple of decorative trees in the neighborhood. I've a comfortable Thermarest mat you can borrow though...It sleeps very well for me!

Yes, I can pick a spot for a campfire...been meaning to do that anyway!

Cool. Is there some room fer axe-throwing or archery? Heehe he. (kinda joking, not much khuk content in axes or arrows).

Keith

I'll be there the night before too; do we have enough people coming by themselves to fill up a 6 man tent? I may be able to borrow my parent's tent, it's big and new (read: still waterproof ;) ). I like the idea myself because if we're all flying/driving there to meet up there's no sense having everyone stay in hotels if Nasty's willing to let us pitch a tent for the night. Let me know what you think and I'll ask about the tent.

BTW, the activities sound great so far! I'll try to see if I have any other cool edged items I can bring, and I'll definitely bring along the Edge Pro so you can all check it out.

yikes...we start talkin' archery and Sarge will be at your doorstep at 0430 (just to get there before me...) :D

:eek: :D

:p

Actually, I did a bit of practice back there at one time...but then gave it up because I could never get a deer to stand still in the middle of a lawn munching grass.

Hmm...axe-throwing could probably be done...bring a target and backstop.

Originally posted by Nasty
Sorry Hollow...I've got a tiny yard and a new house. Only a couple of decorative trees in the neighborhood. I've a comfortable Thermarest mat you can borrow though...It sleeps very well for me!

Yes, I can pick a spot for a campfire...been meaning to do that anyway!

I got a eureka tent and either a thermarest or an inflatable matress so no problem but thanks anyway.

If we ever want to have one farther east I have about 5 acres of flat land for camping. 85 acres with hiking trails, and an extra log cabin with 2 bedrooms and a loft for sleeping, and a large living room for tools, and 2 huge fire rings. All the goat milk you can drink too;) Plus you can hang out with the chickens and shoot guns (and pee) in the front yard.;)

alrighty....

we got you signed up already for the next one!

Originally posted by hollowdweller
If we ever want to have one farther east I have about 5 acres of flat land for camping. 85 acres with hiking trails, and an extra log cabin with 2 bedrooms and a loft for sleeping, and a large living room for tools, and 2 huge fire rings.

All the goat milk you can drink too;)

Plus you can hang out with the chickens and shoot guns (and pee) in the front yard.;)

I think I'm envious. Haven't been able to pee, or shoot guns, in the front yard in way too long a time.:(

At this stage, I'm not sure what time Shawn & I would arrive or what day, so I wouldn't want to commit to tenting yet...
I'm guestimating 12-13 hours driving w/ stops, so it maybe dark by then and a hotel or 'park-n-ride' w/ suffice...

Trying to convince 'the boss' into letting us take the Town & Country cause we could sleep in there if need be.

I 'may' be bringing a belt sander and B&D shopmate, so if the vans a no-go, I'll have limited space for some hickory wood, but i'll make sure some does make the trip. This is surely beginning to sound like a blast... BTW Nasty, you'll need a salt-lick for this weekend
if there'll be axe/khuk throwing and a nice hickory pit, er. campfire yeah, campfire :D

wow...thanks for reminding me...

Could somebody please bring a few hickory sticks...preferably ones that have dried a bit already. (I'm not asking anyone to buy them, just if someone has some already cut or willing to cut now and set aside).

Also, cedar would be an acceptable substitute for hickory.

Thanks!

Dan

I think I'd come the night before, to get the driving out of the way and be fresh for the festivities. I'd be bringing my van pop-up camper, so I just need a flat spot to park on, and a 110 VAC outlet to plug into. It's got a fridge to keep some beer cold, and enough room to bring a few crooked knives, too.

BTW, someone asked about the Swamp Rat Camp Tramp - I'll bring mine. In a plain brown wrapper, of course if you want. Let me know.

As far as shotin' goes, I'd be willing to bring my newly (almost...) completed wheel lock pistol, if I was asked politely. How many of you have shot one? I haven't yet either... Got a bit of fitting to do yet before it's shootable.

but I dunno what Nasty would say about firearms and city limits and such. would be cool to see the wheel operate and throw sparks, tho!

Keith

Obviously, I can't make it so I wish all the attendees a happy time at the Khonvention.

Post some pictures for the benefit of the absentees! :) :D

Originally posted by Ferrous Wheel
but I dunno what Nasty would say about firearms and city limits and such. would be cool to see the wheel operate and throw sparks, tho!

Keith

I have never seen one of those other than in pix.

I love wheel lock pistols...

please, oh please will you bring it?

(hope that's polite enough...:p)

Nice pic!

Did you see the thread I posted on combination arms (varitypes)? Tossed in a few wheel locks IIRC...

I have only seen a few in museums, that's why I decided to build one.
I'll bring it along. So far I haven't drilled the vent hole, so it's not technically a firearm...yet. :D
Brian

Back