2006 Forum Knife??

sheathmaker

Custom Leather Sheaths
I'm a very junior member here, so I hesitate to even bring it up, but I didn't get here in time to get a 2005 forum knife and I sure would like to be able to get the 2006 version, if there is going to be one. I was cruising Bill's web site over at Cumberland Knife Works and noticed he had a little notice that club knives could be obatined through Canal Street. I for one would sure like a Canal Street version for 2006, but since I didn't get the 2005 knife, I don't know what the cost parameters might be, and Canal Street might not fit the cost constraints. We might, as a group, be able to negotiate a favorable cost deal with them. Some of you "more seasoned" forum members wiegh in on this and see where it goes. Thanks

Paul

I was approached by Paul regarding this matter and this is basicly what I said.
First, that I suggested bringing this up on the forum. I felt this was important so that everyone could understand what was involved.

I explained that while I felt it would be great I also felt that the price range of a higher end line of knives would place it out of what a lot of the members would want or could afford to spend. Remember That part of price is contingent on the quantity of purchase. Last year thanks to some hard work and time Phil got some 3 rd generation stainless and had some engraving done. These if memory serves were 50 dollars ( actually I do not remeber what they cost) and I guess there were about 2dozen. 2 dozen pieces is not a big purchase and if the price tag was higher due to the quality of the knife there would even be less ordered. Then there is the extra cost of having a pattern done for an electro etch or engraving for shields or bolsters to personalize the series as a forum momento.

I had asked for this subject to be shelved for a while so that I could persue an idea that I had to place the availability of a knife momento within the range of all the members. I wanted to accquire a quantity of plain Schrade white delrins of the same pattern and then have them inscribed. Unfortunatly I have not been able to do so. With a new storage building and turning my garage into a showroom among other projects. I have really have not been able to persue this direction ( it being winter has also not helped ). I do know one source which might have the needed knives however some of them might be seconds. ( usually if you look through a quantity of these you can find some decent ones. ) I had also planned to impose on a friend to inscribe them at a minimal charge. I then was going to charge just what it cost in fact I had toyed with doing them and donating them so that everyone could get one. Now unfortunately that is not feasible for several reasons ( not the least my engraver is ill ). This is what my thoughts were.

If the members would like me to persue this avenue I will do so and advise how I make out. No guarantees. Frankly it would be a lot easier to simply let canal street do it. I really would prefer just buying one. However I would suggest that the money would have to be upfront ( for several reasons ) not the least knowing what quantity we are looking at. Depending on the model chosen I would suggest the price factor will be considerably high than last year while I was hoping to cut the cost in half with the delrin plan ( although the Canals would be a lot nicer)

In any event in order to make any of this work we are going to need someone to run the program. I will be happy to approach Canal St and act as a go between with them if that is the concensus. I also would persue the delrin idea if that is desired ( although at this point its feasibility is in question ).

I would suggest Paul or Phil or Micheal ( I do not mean to volunteer you guys it is just that you usually take the lead I realize that it is not an easy task and Phil you have already paid your dues as have you Micheal. ) So volunteers belly up to the Kami Kazi bar, any one with an interest to pick up the ball will be more than welcomed. Finances must be assured, a pattern decided on, and a million other details. As I said I would involve my self to the degree of committment I offered. Or I would be just as happy to stand back completely. Whatever is decided please put me down for a knife.

These are my thoughts on this and I am anxious to hear your opinions. LT

LT,
Either of the ideas works well with me. I dont have any Canal St. pieces yet and this would be as good reason to start as any. What would a minimum order through them (Canal St) be? Would say 3 or 4 doz be enough for them to give a bit of a discount? What price ranges and styles could we be talking about. Folder or fixed? We could debate that one for a while :D
I could help gathering names and addresses and collecting $$ upfront. I would need help at the ordering end.
Any more ideas?
What price range would be comfortable for more of our forum mates?
I doubt we can do anything < 50.
< 100? 120?
Thoughts please
TTYL
Larry

Being even more "Junior" than Paul, and way helluve a lot less knife savy, I'm in ... Money wise, I can commit to $100 up front - $150 if you guanrantee not to tell my wife !!!

Folder or Fixed?????? Ahhhh - Lawd !!! We may never come to a consensus.
Personally, I likes bof'm, so either one works for me!!!!! :thumbup: :D :D :thumbup:

As for help/assistance... Where I can, what I can...

dannyb

A fixed blade would be nice for this year. You knew I would say that and I did just so as not to disappoint you.

I doubt CSC can do anything for us under $100, but could be wrong. While that is on the low end of affordability for some, it is out of the budget for others.

One thought occured to me and that is if each member provided his own base knife to be shielded, engraved, etched, whatever. The white Delrin knives mentioned come to mind, and a choice of two patterns, one fixed one folder could be considered. Possibly a 502SC Sharpfinger or 156 Little Finger and a Barlow or Stockman pattern? Just a thought.

Also, the two pattern idea works for the price range as well, using a CSC for the upper and a Schrade for the lower. Just another thought. I have no idea how badly this would complicate things. Prepayment sounds like sound advice, then all made have a home from birth.

Codger

LT,

I'd prefer a CSC fixed blade myself. If there were 4 to 6 dozen (48 to 60, or more!), firm, prepaid orders, JH and company might be inclined, I'm thinking.

Del

I just want a knife to remember all you guys by....Having said that, I think the white derlin would be a good choice, but for me personally I tend to lean more toward the CSC kinife because it's a good AMERICAN company with strong roots in Schrade.

I did another quick run trough on Bill's Cumberland site, this time to check prices. Amber Stagged scales on the Muskrat has a retail there of $64.00, the Trapper $74.00 and the Fixed blade item number 113313 is $79.00. All of these prices are considerably less than you see on the CSC web site, but there it is MSRP to protect their dealers. I already have the Trapper and the 113313 with low serial numbers. I'm giving these of examples of what prices could be. If LT is the go between, I doubt that the prices would be any more than these and could be less. Another factor would be the scales selected, as that could either raise or lower the price. Also CSC might hold to the above pricing and throw in the etch by way of discount. (I have no idea of the cost of set up and etching).

As to fixed or folder, I really like Codger and I really like Bill so my vote goes for either, (as stated above, all I want is a knife to remember you guys by). The issue of prepayment is not an issue for me and as to the cost, I have no problem with $150.00 or less, and in fact I'd kick into a fund to insure that if some of our members have difficulty with cost that they could be covered privately and anonimously by the fund.

These are my current thoughts, but probably won't be my last thoughts. By the way, my thanks to Larry for stepping up early to volunteer to collect info.

Edited to add: If Lt needs/wants more time to look into the white derlin deal, then that's fine with me too.

eeeek Codger - THAT'S UGLY !!!!!!!

I'll go along with Paul and kick-in a little extra (say 10% or so) to assist in helping some obtain a Forum Knife.

Del

I agree with Del................on both counts, but you're still one of my favorite people, Codger.

Paul

As another newcomer I like the fixed idea with the Delrin but can go either way.I can go 150.00 and I like the idea of a fund to help others.I probably have more free time than most of you so anything I can do just let me know.It might cure some of this boredom and save me money on Ebay.Arnold

I withdraw my comments, until more information comes available...if it does.

Bill

Ok lets start over first of all I am having trouble getting the plain delrin, as I mentioned also my plan was on hold until I have an engraver. I am not even going to attempt to get knives from each individual in an assortment of patterns. However I will go along with the majority as long as I do not have to make it happen, my idea was to just do it take the loss and have another good deed to pay for in life. If you want the simple engraved delrin I will continue to search for whatever pattern I can find. This aint the old days where I had a lot of choices. Then if that happens I will try to get some engraving done on the delrin. COST under 50 bucks hopefully a lot under and I would need to know how many and someone to handle that end collect money mail ect. I would try to have the correct amount of knives once I know how many I would mail them to whoever is handling that end frankly I am not even sure if I can get them or get it done but I would try to do it if that is what you guys want. once I find a pattern and get a cost I would advise and you could decide if that is what you want. THATS IT for that.

As far a Canal street no one even mentioned the electro etch which needs a pattern which costs extra and what they charge to do it. That was sort of glanced over. So for CSC I need a price range ( at that point I would see what we could get for the money you are willing to spend and I would let you know. Next the amount ( number of knives ) would have to be fairly close on what was needed not a guess at which point I would explain that to them and find out for you. THATS IT for that.

Other options are do it through Cumberland, come up with whatever ideas you have and leave me out of it. Believe me you will not hurt my feelings.

Again I cannot guarantee a fixed knife or a folder or a pattern in fact right now I do not have someone to even engrave it. In fact I was waiting to see if there was any feasibility to doing this and when it was first brought up earlier in the year I simply said to hold off a bit until I could see if there was a way to do it. However I knew someone would bring it up and frankly I am glad they did because now we can formulate what if anything we are going to do. Please read this and first decide who will run it and what you would like to do, next how many people are interested what they want to pay and what they want in my case (delrin ) fixed or folder is not an option it would be what I could get however barring that if I can make it work, it would be reasonable ( some knives would be seconds ). Which ought to display as nice as any others.

These are only my suggestions I will do what I can within these parameters and I will not be in charge of this project. In fact I would prefer to just be a contributer but will do what I have said I would.

So boys the ball is in your court. However thats is it straight up. LT PS there will be no getting in line we need someone to step up to the plate. PPS I do not feel that 48 to 60 knives is realistic especially if they ar 50 dollars or more which I feel they would be from CSC. However I have certainly been wrong before. my guess is that you would struggle at 36 ( and that is I feel optimistic ).

Now if you

Lt is right. What we need are some hard facts and numbers to even be able to plan this thing out and get a firm deal and prices. I suggest we use this thread only to capture the results of a multi facet vote of the forum. Once we digest that we can start to plan and make it a reality. I also suggest that we agree that simple majority rules for instance 21 votes folder and 22votes fixed blade, then fixed blade it is and the 21 who voted folder go along with the rest for a fixed blade. As I see it we need to know the following information:

Company of preference: CSC, Schrade, etc.

Fixed or folder

Price range you can or will pay this will be applied to your choice of fixed or folder. You could give a price range for fixed and another for folder just to be covered either way.

As I see it that gives us enough information to press on. After we get the $ figure range we can see what style, pattern, scales etc. can fit into those limits.
I'll check this daily and record the votes by name and I'd sure like it if Mike and Larry could do this also so we can compare notes for accuracy.

I'll start it off and if it dies here...it dies here.

Sheathmaker Company.....Canal Street
Style......... Folder
Price range. $50-$90 Folder $75-125 Fixed

Paul

Ill follow with
1st option CSC fixed (bill forgive me!) < 150
2nd a good Schrade folder @ 75

That is fine with me LT. Make it a double ( I mean two votes). I go with CSC whatever price or style the majority wishes. Too slow I guess this is vote 3.

As I was supported in my forum knife efforts, I'm right there behind anyone willing to do the work on this one.

The 2005 forum knife was priced at $50. The total issue was 31.

Knife: CSC or Schrade
Fixed or folder, I could care less
Price range: $50 to $100

Put me on your list for a knife......Please

fixed or folder CSC

If you need somone to collect names to start with I don,t mind collating, famous last words.

Russell Lown

Back