2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

My micarta Dixie stockman arrived yesterday, and I’m pretty impressed. The small clip and wharncliffe measure between .020” and .025” behind the edge. The main clip is a wonderful .016” to .020” behind the edge. It cuts like a scalpel.

GEC did a great job of polishing the micarta. No spring gaps. Springs are flush with the blades both open and closed. I love the lack of half stops on his model. Somehow GEC put this knife together with absolutely zero blade rub between the three blades. No lateral play on any of the blades. All blades arrived sharp. Very impressive fit and finish, which is the hallmark of GEC.

This is a pretty sizable stockman, and very comfortable in the hand, but the 2-spring design really keeps the weight and bulk down. Turkish clips aren’t exactly my thing, but the low profile shape does work well with the streamlined approach to the Dixie. It’s a good choice on this model.

My only nitpick is with the pulls on the blades. I’m not a lover of nail-breaker pulls, but these pulls are a bit light for even me. My Case medium stockman actually has stiffer pulls than my Dixie, and Case isn’t exactly known for their strong pulls. The snap is good on the Dixie blades though, so it’s not really too bad. There’s easily enough force to close the blades without a problem. I’d prefer pulls of 4 and 5, but I can live with 3 and 4 initially. The snap will probably only get even better with time and use, so it’s okay I guess. Not great but good enough.

All in all, I’m very impressed. Nice size for hard use. Great blade selection. No broken nails. Indestructible covers. Superior cutting efficiency.

I’d really love to see a stainless punch stockman next time around!!!!

ACPjA6bh.jpg

8IxHxwWh.jpg

i've got the same knife coming my way this week. Makes me want this knife even more after your review and pictures. Thx!!

I have a micarta and copperhead bone due tomorrow, thanks for the review. I have been excited for this one as I have no stockman knives, got rid of the last of my 66s as I find them too small. Is the pull like last years 81 Bullmoose?

I have a micarta and copperhead bone due tomorrow, thanks for the review. I have been excited for this one as I have no stockman knives, got rid of the last of my 66s as I find them too small. Is the pull like last years 81 Bullmoose?

If the 66 was too small, this will be right up your alley. The pull is light like the 81, but the snap is a bit better on my Dixie.

If the 66 was too small, this will be right up your alley. The pull is light like the 81, but the snap is a bit better on my Dixie.

I forgot to ask how it compared to the 81, knowing they were really light, but smooth. My daily carry one has livened up a bit and now is closer to 5's for the blades, with the clip having just a little more tension than the spear. Walk and talk feels much nicer now, or maybe I've just made that my new normal. My older boker trapper does feel like it has really stiff springs, but that's always been a bit gritty compared to my GEC's.

The lack of half-stops is a huge plus for me and I'm glad to see another one come out. That was about the only reason I risked buying queen knives if the price was low enough.

Thanks for letting us know how this one works and feels.

I am sorry to hear about the light pulls. I was thinking of getting one, but a 3 or 4 pull is too light for me.

Here is a dirty old user version of the same knife - your review describes it exactly including the pull weights and lack of rub - which is a very good thing given the changes in GEC staff in recent years.

9KV7MzM.jpg

WzGu8Cj.jpg

Last edited:
The Dixies actually run a hair over 4⅛" closed. I've had 4 or 5 of them, including the micarta from this run, and they all measured 4.16 or 4.17 inches with a dial caliper. My 2018 micarta also has lighter pulls and snap, but I haven't had time to clean and lube it yet; I'm sure it will be very similar to the #81 Moose.

I hope to get a Micarta 2 blade Skinner version and the Elderberry Stockman, let's see...

The Blackwood I have from the 1st run is a superb item, no rub, great blade choice and good W&T. I hope the new run won't be too light in the pull though.

Thanks for the review. I'm debating still. I prefer square end stockmen but love the blade shapes on this one's secondaries.

Soft pulls aside, I'm looking forward to this one!! :)

@Camillus >>> Absolutely Outstanding! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here is a dirty old user version of the same knife - your review describes it exactly including the pull weights and lack of rub - which is a very good thing given the changes in GEC staff in recent years.

9KV7MzM.jpg

WzGu8Cj.jpg

I'm anxious to see how the two blade version turns out, but the stockman sure looks great. The lighter pulls would be fine with me.

Last edited:
Back