1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Buzzbait, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    My micarta Dixie stockman arrived yesterday, and I’m pretty impressed. The small clip and wharncliffe measure between .020” and .025” behind the edge. The main clip is a wonderful .016” to .020” behind the edge. It cuts like a scalpel.

GEC did a great job of polishing the micarta. No spring gaps. Springs are flush with the blades both open and closed. I love the lack of half stops on his model. Somehow GEC put this knife together with absolutely zero blade rub between the three blades. No lateral play on any of the blades. All blades arrived sharp. Very impressive fit and finish, which is the hallmark of GEC.

This is a pretty sizable stockman, and very comfortable in the hand, but the 2-spring design really keeps the weight and bulk down. Turkish clips aren’t exactly my thing, but the low profile shape does work well with the streamlined approach to the Dixie. It’s a good choice on this model.

My only nitpick is with the pulls on the blades. I’m not a lover of nail-breaker pulls, but these pulls are a bit light for even me. My Case medium stockman actually has stiffer pulls than my Dixie, and Case isn’t exactly known for their strong pulls. The snap is good on the Dixie blades though, so it’s not really too bad. There’s easily enough force to close the blades without a problem. I’d prefer pulls of 4 and 5, but I can live with 3 and 4 initially. The snap will probably only get even better with time and use, so it’s okay I guess. Not great but good enough.

All in all, I’m very impressed. Nice size for hard use. Great blade selection. No broken nails. Indestructible covers. Superior cutting efficiency.

I’d really love to see a stainless punch stockman next time around!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Odog27, SV-97, smcclown05 and 42 others like this.
  2. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Thanks for the review

3. abey67

abey67

Feb 25, 2007
    i've got the same knife coming my way this week. Makes me want this knife even more after your review and pictures. Thx!!

4. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    That looks great. Love that Micarta. What size are they?

5. nyrico

nyrico Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2012
    I have a micarta and copperhead bone due tomorrow, thanks for the review. I have been excited for this one as I have no stockman knives, got rid of the last of my 66s as I find them too small. Is the pull like last years 81 Bullmoose?

6. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Lovely.

7. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Looks like a 4 1/8 inch frame according to GEC's website.

jstrange likes this.
  8. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    If the 66 was too small, this will be right up your alley. The pull is light like the 81, but the snap is a bit better on my Dixie.

9. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    I forgot to ask how it compared to the 81, knowing they were really light, but smooth. My daily carry one has livened up a bit and now is closer to 5's for the blades, with the clip having just a little more tension than the spear. Walk and talk feels much nicer now, or maybe I've just made that my new normal. My older boker trapper does feel like it has really stiff springs, but that's always been a bit gritty compared to my GEC's.

The lack of half-stops is a huge plus for me and I'm glad to see another one come out. That was about the only reason I risked buying queen knives if the price was low enough.

Thanks for letting us know how this one works and feels.

10. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I am sorry to hear about the light pulls. I was thinking of getting one, but a 3 or 4 pull is too light for me.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  11. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Perfect size!

12. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Here is a dirty old user version of the same knife - your review describes it exactly including the pull weights and lack of rub - which is a very good thing given the changes in GEC staff in recent years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    dantzk8, SV-97, Kels73 and 21 others like this.
  13. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    The Dixies actually run a hair over 4⅛" closed. I've had 4 or 5 of them, including the micarta from this run, and they all measured 4.16 or 4.17 inches with a dial caliper. My 2018 micarta also has lighter pulls and snap, but I haven't had time to clean and lube it yet; I'm sure it will be very similar to the #81 Moose.

14. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I hope to get a Micarta 2 blade Skinner version and the Elderberry Stockman, let's see...

The Blackwood I have from the 1st run is a superb item, no rub, great blade choice and good W&T. I hope the new run won't be too light in the pull though.

JB in SC likes this.
  15. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Thanks for the review. I'm debating still. I prefer square end stockmen but love the blade shapes on this one's secondaries.

16. DelOro

DelOro Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Soft pulls aside, I'm looking forward to this one!! :)

@Camillus >>> Absolutely Outstanding! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JB in SC likes this.
  17. Coonskinner

Coonskinner

Mar 28, 2001
    I like that one a lot!

18. TucsonMik

TucsonMik Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Gorgeous knife, @Camillus. So much character :thumbsup:

dc50 likes this.
  19. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    I'm anxious to see how the two blade version turns out, but the stockman sure looks great. The lighter pulls would be fine with me.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    dc50 and tmd_87 like this.
  20. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Want this copperhead covered version like the shield on it too. Glad it’s a Tidioute plain bolsters and satin blades no etch nice and simple.
    BCBCE59C-A398-4051-808A-58DB20C94D00.jpeg