2018 #82 Dixie Stockman and Possum Skinner Run

n5oQPh5.jpg

It needs to be said: my Micarta Dixie stockman comtinues to grow on me.

The long, thin, delicate main blade glides through anything, cutting grapes and orange «filets» for the kids goes so easy it’s fun to do. Plastic wrapping, thread, meat, it makes me look for things to cut.

Whittling with the wharncliff (?) and drop point is also a breeze, and the long handle and low sunk blades makes using it over time is effortless. As the drop point and wharncliff feels a bit sturdier than the clip, they are my allround blades, depending on the task.

With use, the springs has worned in, and the walk and talk has improved considerably since it was new.

I still consider my 66 to be my favorite, but the 82 is almost side by side, and I don’t think they have reached the finish line yet. Maybe they never will.. different tasks/different knives. 82 is James Bond, 66 is Jason Bourne and my Buck 303 is Rambo, for those times when I know I’m not going to be able to keep it dry or maintained over time.

No point here really, just felt a need to share my appreciation for a wonderful knife!
I agree with your take. I was not going to even buy this model till I read this thread. Now I have both a Dixie and a Possum and could not be happier.

I agree with your take. I was not going to even buy this model till I read this thread. Now I have both a Dixie and a Possum and could not be happier.
Hadn’t even heard of «82» or «Dixie» before this thread, but no regrets :)

Question for those of you who have the 82 Stockman. Is Blade rub common with this pattern? Mine just showed up yesterday, and the first time opening I have blade rub between the secondary drop point and warncliff blades. I know blade rub is a common occurrence with most stockman patterns, but I expected more out of this GEC. I’m considering returning it and re-ordering another, but I won’t bother if this is a common occurrence with this run. I have the north field elderberry version if that makes a difference....

Question for those of you who have the 82 Stockman. Is Blade rub common with this pattern? Mine just showed up yesterday, and the first time opening I have blade rub between the secondary drop point and warncliff blades. I know blade rub is a common occurrence with most stockman patterns, but I expected more out of this GEC. I’m considering returning it and re-ordering another, but I won’t bother if this is a common occurrence with this run. I have the north field elderberry version if that makes a difference....

Lots of people say theirs don't, but both of mine from the first and most recent runs have had a twinge of blade rub.

Thanks for the response. I’ve considered returning mine, but at this point I think I’ll just turn it into a user. The fit is a disappointment.....I have a AGR stockman and a Old Timer with better fit, but the GEC has a (much) nicer finish.

Thanks for the response. I’ve considered returning mine, but at this point I think I’ll just turn it into a user. The fit is a disappointment.....I have a AGR stockman and a Old Timer with better fit, but the GEC has a (much) nicer finish.

Is it the AG Russell Serpentine Stockman?

Is it the AG Russell Serpentine Stockman?

Yes it is. Both the AGR and Old Timer have the standard blades and configuration. The GEC blades are packed tighter and lower. I suspect the GEC construction lends itself to be more prone to blade rub.

Got mine yesterday, very nice folder, it's been a while since I've had a GEC in the house...

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

The tangs as some have noted on other folders, were quite keen to the touch, so I wrapped the knife in tape and carefully filed down using a Spyderco Doublestuff stone to just knock those crisp edges off a little bit.

While still not something you would want to grip tightly, they don't have that bite that they use to, I'll leave the sharp edges to the blades ;)
G2

It’s now December, close to Christmas. I am reducing my so-called knife collection to three or four GECs. (Not counting my almost sixty year old SAK and fifty year old Buck 112.)
My knife likes are driven by my personal user preferences and maker’s design expressed in a high quality tool.

I just ordered another #82 Possum Skinner in Elderberry bone. I sold my micarta PS a while back and regretted it afterwards so I’ve rectified that mistake. It’s a super useful, lightweight two blade, single spring knife that is certainly under appreciated.
It will join my Eureka Jack and tortoise shell Calf Roper as my GEC stable of outstanding pocket knives. Perhaps one more in 2020, perhaps not.

Mayonardo Mayonardo A good move, the PS is a really useful and likeable knife, one for longterm use. I like my Micarta one more than the Elderberry full Stockman.

Back