2018 Arkansas Knife Show - Knife Photos and Awards!

Hellooooo Arkansas Knife Show! As I continue posting I want to give you all my takeaway from my trip to Little Rock, AR.

In a impressive nutshell, I found EVERY person I encountered was nicer than the last. White, black, high roller, service person, you-name-it, everyone had that down-South congenial hospitality. Whenever you walked by someone they would meet eyes and greet you. That's the big difference. I'm surrounded by people who isolate themselves and consciously avoid eye contact. Me, as a complete EXTROVERT, loved this change.

Thank you to those folks. Now back to the SHOW!

Scott Gallagher - I can feel the heat.
orig.jpg

Don Hanson III - POW!
orig.jpg

Don Hanson III with the ^^^ kid brother. Sweet!
orig.jpg

Andrew Meers is everyone's favorite. Just when you think it's lethal and formidable, he disarms you with.... ladybugs. :)
orig.jpg

Shawn Ellis is taking a stance
orig.jpg

San-mai with a damascus core!
orig.jpg

Kyle Hanson makes a 'simple' model, yet makes it better and better and better.
orig.jpg

I enjoyed meeting maker Jim Provost. I almost needed a translator for my New England ears to understand his rich Mississippi tone. Great knifemaker.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Bob Ohleman (Ranger Made Knives) told me he's had this fixed blade hanging around for a while. "Not worthy of a photo...." SAY WHAT? I made sure we'll let him know. Please prove him wrong.
orig.jpg

Bob Ohleman
orig.jpg

Bob Ohleman - With his specialty - His etched bronze.
orig.jpg

SharpByCoop SharpByCoop thank you for posting these pictures! The top view of Kyle’s camp knife is wicked, so is the saw tooth hamon. I love that knife.

Allie Trotter is an apprentice of Logan's and GIRL did she forge out a winner!
orig.jpg

Landon Robbins from MO engages us!
orig.jpg

Russell White is well on his way up the ABS ladder.
orig.jpg

Stanley Buzek makes the Texas traditional folder makers proud!
orig.jpg

Mike Quesenberry wasn't at the show (this year), but he sent his collector with a hunter for the opportunity to capture it. Holy moly!
orig.jpg

Steve Culver: You saw this piece in an award photo. Here it is in FULL glory!
orig.jpg

Last edited:
Brion Tomberlin has yet to underwhelm me. Quite the reverse, I'd say!
orig.jpg

Jerry Fisk's Sendero's are the crowd favorite, and the engraving adds interest. Those little waves on the pins are pointing in two directions for a reason. Jerry will explain(?)
orig.jpg

This pair EACH have wood from both the Alamo and George Washington's mulberry tree. Wow.
orig.jpg

Speaking of WOW, this stag Bowie radiates from the tip of the blade to the buttcap.
orig.jpg

This important knife *almost* didn't make it to me. In his haste he left it back in the shop, but a phone call to a local coming up on Sat brought it to us. The wood is historical, and I need Jerry to fill in the important details. (That looks like Paul Long leather goodness right there!)
orig.jpg

I just honestly don't have the words to write here.
An enormous display of really high quality knife going on. The knife making world, in general, is just pushing out top quality knives by the score.
Thanks for sharing those with us, Jim.

Cass Stanford from AR shows how a simpler 3-piece knife can have a sweet tapered tang!
orig.jpg

Dr. Terry Schreiner added an interesting bit of watch parts in his takedown hunter.
orig.jpg

Stag + Steel = Substantial.
orig.jpg

I loved the faceted guards on Jay Replogle's BIG. Honkin'. Bowie.
orig.jpg

Yes that's the SAME handle. One look and you simply KNOW it's Mardi Meshejian. SOLD at the Show!
orig.jpg

Last edited:
Steve Hill brought me this intricate folder from his friend, maker Rex Robinson. Who says the AKS is all about the forged Bowies? This sure runs in another direction. (Those edges were SHARP. It's a 'serrated' blade.)
orig.jpg

Tad Lynch puts the COMMAND in his powerful bowies. Yikes!
orig.jpg

This delightful modern 'canoe' folder was a Christmas gift to his wife from Tracy Larock.
orig.jpg

Mark Fleming and Renata Vilar (now living in AR) teamed up for this presentation walnut set.
orig.jpg

Lin Rhea - This Confederate D-guard makes a historical statement in a modern voice.
orig.jpg

I have a few more knives donated to KnifeRights, and when I get to them I'll show them in my Gallery Thread.

But... that's it. This was LOT of work, and I've worked both my jobs late into the evenings and weekends to get them DONE. All images finished and ready to mail in 8 days. Susan is filling envelopes as I type. (There is a little round treat inside each mailer. You will see. ;))

What a privilege. What a responsibility. I honor both. If you do my Instagram you will see them all AGAIN over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again to Misty D., to all the makers, to Logan Pearce and Jerry Fisk and to you viewers for your appreciations.

I have a few more knives donated to KnifeRights, and when I get to them I'll show them in my Gallery Thread.

<snip>

Thanks again to Misty D., to all the makers, to Logan Pearce and Jerry Fisk and to you viewers for your appreciations.

Beautiful images, as always. And, a good point to interject my own thanks to you, Jim. Both for your continued support for our community and your generous donations of images to Knife Rights. It would be damn near impossible to have a successful Ultimate Steel™ fundraiser without the great photos you provide us. Many makers tell me that the fact that they get a valuable professional photo of their donation knife just makes it a little easier to donate to us. You and our other photographers are helping us Rewrite Knife Law in America™.

Thanks to all who have generously donated knives, both in the past and this year. If anyone is interested in learning more about helping Knife Rights forge a Sharper Future™, just drop me an email or PM me.

Thanks for sharing Coop! Great Job to you and all the makers!!!

Looks like a show that I NEED to attend someday.

Back