Votes: 31 9.9%
  • Camel Bone - $$

Votes: 17 5.4%
  • Stag - $$$

Votes: 40 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You are in Poll 5.2: Animal Handle Materials

If you are just joining, the knife that has been built thus far for the 2018 BF Knife is a 2 Bladed Buck 301, Clip and Sheepsfoot on opposite ends of the knife. Your blade steel is CPM-154 with a tang stamp and the bolsters are NICKEL SILVER. And it seems to be a lock that both blades will have FFG.

Now that poll 5/8: Handle Materials has given us tons of input for handle choices, we've created 3 new polls. These polls will feature the following broad categories for handle materials:

Poll 5.1: Wood - LINK HERE
Poll 5.2: Animal
Poll 5.3: Synthetic - LINK HERE

These polls will run until 5/23. A Champion Material will emerge from each poll, a Wood Material Champion, an Animal Material Champion, and a Synthetic Material Champion. These Champions will face off in a Battle Royale, winner takes all bout.

So, as always, battle it out and choose your champion. To add some spice into the mix, you will be given the ability to VOTE FOR 2 OPTIONS in each poll. After all, if you're choosing your champion, you may as well have 2 horses in the race!

* I think it's fair to ask that if you have no interest in ordering a knife, please do not vote, but please do participate in the discussions!

Last edited:
Aaargh that's a lot of wonderful choices! Will we vote on bone colour or pick and mix (might make the most sense)?

Oooo.. camel bone..

So if a bone wins, will we be polling on surface treatment? I imagine so..

Nevermind.. I just noticed jigged is by itself, so I just assume the others will be smooth as they usually are. Sweet.

No obligation to vote for two materials in each of these polls.

Think about it... If you really want Elk, and vote for Elk and Stag; they cancel one another out. Just sayin'...

Again, some great choices.
  • Elk was my first choice. I do not have anything clad in elk yet and the fact that it is sourced from the PNW is a big plus for me. It would be something else to have that in my pocket while I am in the woods hunting my own elk.
  • Ram Horn was my second choice. I've come to really love it on my Lion Steel Euro Barlow. It is rugged, beautiful, and unique and would be an exceptional cover choice for our forum knife.
I really would be happy with any of these choices except for the camel and giraffe bone. The inconsistencies in the final color is a real turn off for me. I know some folks really like them and like their unique nature but if I am expecting a dark blue or red color in my covers and instead get a mottled baby blue or pink instead, you can imagine my disappointment.

I'll take anything in this category that isn't horn. Horn looks nice at first, but it doesn't wear or age particularly well. It gets gray, delaminates, and there's a good chance dermastid beetles will eventually find it and chew holes in it.

I loved those red jigged bone covers posted somewhere in one of the previous threads. So I'll vote for jigged bone.

Buffalo and Rams Horn are my choices.
My first/second choice of these two? ... I suppose the Rams Horn would be first, by a small margin, if only because "it has never been used on a forum knife" according to others in the other polls.
I've never had a knife with either of these materials, so I'll be happy with either one, if selected.

No obligation to vote for two materials in each of these polls.

Think about it... If you really want Elk, and vote for Elk and Stag; they cancel one another out. Just sayin'...
I guess if your favorite two are tied, then you can drop one. :) I love these polls where we can change votes. It's fun to watch the discussion reflected in the changing vote tallies.

I guess if your favorite two are tied, then you can drop one. :) I love these polls where we can change votes. It's fun to watch the discussion reflected in the changing vote tallies.

Definitely! I've been wearing out the buttons....lol

As to the "cancelling each other out", here's an example:
If 10 people really want Ram and their second choice is Elk, and only 2 people want Elk but their second choice is bone; the poll would look like this:
Ram: 10
Elk: 12
Bone: 2
Elk would win even though only 2 people wanted Elk for their first choice.

If those folks only voted for their primary choice it would look like this:
Ram: 10
Elk: 2

I think it would be better if folks could only choose one, but could change as often as they like. However; if everyone liked something different as their first choice, but their second choice was all Ram, I'd be okay with that too...;)

Back