Votes: 31 9.9%
  • Camel Bone - $$

Votes: 17 5.4%
  • Stag - $$$

Votes: 40 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As to the "cancelling each other out", here's an example:
If 10 people really want Ram and their second choice is Elk, and only 2 people want Elk but their second choice is bone; the poll would look like this:
Ram: 10
Elk: 12
Bone: 2
Elk would win even though only 2 people wanted Elk for their first choice.

If those folks only voted for their primary choice it would look like this:
Ram: 10
Elk: 2
Greg, thanks for that example and the information. You certainly have an analytical mind...I envy you that.:D Preston

I was kind of wondering this myself. Jigged bone is certainly a "safe" option as has been suggested and it undoubtedly is a solid choice. But given the exotic/exciting nature of some of the wood choices and the popularity of the micarta, particularly burlap, I do not see the jigged bone holding up in the final "showdown".

Dunno. I think that stag might not fare as well in the final showdown as jigged bone ... hard to say until we get there.

Ok I swapped from elk for my second to jigged bone.... those examples 300bucks posted swayed me. Still in for stag though.

I am posting at the end of the first page, if I skipped it, I apologize.

Is there any word on the jigging pattern for the bone if one is chosen already?

If it is not, can we have some say in the pattern?

The below are incredible, and I would love for a chance to own any of them.24571350423_01c19484ac_c.jpg 37078329076_3398f9b94f_c.jpg 37078329276_549ac9372c_c.jpg 1.jpg

I would even like some checkered flats with the edges of the slabs sanded smooth down to the bolsters.

Last edited:
I am posting at the end of the first page, if I skipped it, I apologize.

Is there any word on the jigging pattern for the bone if one is chosen already?

If it is not, can we have some say in the pattern?

The below are incredible, and I would love for a chance to own any of them.View attachment 907787 View attachment 907788 View attachment 907790 View attachment 907786

I would even like some checkered flats with the edges of the slabs sanded smooth down to the bolsters.
I’ll try and find the Buck red jigged that was posted in the other it was beyond sweet. I feel jigged bone isn’t fancy enough to get chosen sadly

Buck's Redbone
large.jpg

If the jigged bone looks like this, I'm changing my vote! After all Buffalo (my current vote) doesn't seem to be going anywhere and I really don't want elk.

As much as I love jigged, or even smooth bone, I am not going to vote for it.

I have come to realize that the incredible bone hafting we see on vintage/antique knives is due to the hand jigging. There is enough variation and randomness, even when jigging to a pattern like peachseed,etc. to make it aesthetically pleasing.

When the manufacturers switched over to machine jigging, they lost some appeal to me. There is just too much precise uniformity and regularity. Many of the jigging patterns being cranked out today just look too machine made.

I also would remind you all that of all the handle materials under consideration, one - bone is most likely to crack or break when dropped.

I've made 3 fixed bladed using elk, and find it to be really tough and beautiful.

Edit:
That Buck with the red jigged bone 3 posts up could possibly change my mind!

Seems that Jigged Bone has taken the lead. I am not opposed to this but I am still pulling for Elk.

I recognize that Elk is not as flashy as Sambar Stag or Exotic Woods or even deeply colored Jigged Bone but there is lot of depth and sentimental value to it on a personal level. It is sourced from the Pacific Northwest, which is where I make my home. It is where I hunt for elk. It is where I appreciate and bask in the magnificence of our mountains and forests and the elk here are integral to those experiences.

Elk are exceptional animals. Powerful, beautiful, rugged, and yes.... Delicious. They never cease to amaze me and I can tell you there is nothing like having a bull scream at you from 30 yards away. Gets the blood going for sure.

Pretty pictures can do a lot to sway folks and so I will post a picture from GEC's site and I hope some of you who own knives clad in elk will post them as well just to show how attractive a cover this can be. That being said, I do recognize that just like with Sambar, not every piece is going to look like these. Honestly, I'd be happy with the plainest of elk, just having it would make my year.

nZLUC8h.png

Seems that Jigged Bone has taken the lead. I am not opposed to this but I am still pulling for Elk.

I recognize that Elk is not as flashy as Sambar Stag or Exotic Woods or even deeply colored Jigged Bone but there is lot of depth and sentimental value to it on a personal level. It is sourced from the Pacific Northwest, which is where I make my home. It is where I hunt for elk. It is where I appreciate and bask in the magnificence of our mountains and forests and the elk here are integral to those experiences.

Elk are exceptional animals. Powerful, beautiful, rugged, and yes.... Delicious. They never cease to amaze me and I can tell you there is nothing like having a bull scream at you from 30 yards away. Gets the blood going for sure.

Pretty pictures can do a lot to sway folks and so I will post a picture from GEC's site and I hope some of you who own knives clad in elk will post them as well just to show how attractive a cover this can be. That being said, I do recognize that just like with Sambar, not every piece is going to look like these. Honestly, I'd be happy with the plainest of elk, just having it would make my year.

nZLUC8h.png
I agree with you 100%.
I love the bone examples and like bone scales, But...we just had bone on the harness jack, and bone is so common, it's not really special.
Having said that, it still won't be a deal breaker for me, was just hoping for something more special for this configuration.

Back