2018 Forum Knife -- First Step in the Ordering Process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to implore those who decide on who is eligible to purchase the 2018 BF knife to modify the qualifications to allow anyone who was a member of the forum before today, regardless of the number of posts, to buy the knife.
I am 57 years old and have been carrying a knife since I was 10. I have usually owned several knives at any one time, and have given some to family members and friends over the years. Several months ago I decided to start a knife collection. I discovered this forum several weeks ago, and have spent some time on it each day. I have participated in the last few polls, and was really excited to be able to purchase this knife. It seems a little arbitrary to announce the eligibility rules AFTER the polls are completed. That should have been done at the beginning. And why three months? Why 30 posts? Limit two is a good idea. Or even one.
It seems that several others are as disappointed as I was with today's post re eligibility.
Pretty please?

I'm in. Thanks SKblades and BF for the opportunity.

Question for knarfeng knarfeng , if after a while we decide to sell the knife, what are rules and restrictions? I ask because after a while of use with the 2017 barlow I decided it wasn't for me and sold it on the forum. It stayed with a forum member which I think is a good thing and I don't think I made a profit but I know I saw plenty that were new go for above the sale price, given there was the pre-order price and a "I missed out on the original sale" higher price tag.

Being a 2-blade I'm more likely to enjoy it's use but as an occasionally fickle knife owner I wanted to see your thoughts as I would prefer not to leave a bad taste is someone's mouth.

Once you buy a knife, it is yours. We can't tell you that you can't sell it. Though if you did sell it we would much prefer that it be sold here on BF instead of eBay or such.

What we are trying to get away from is the issue we have had in the past of people buying the knife for the sole purpose of turning around to sell it at a large profit.

Add:
The intent is not to keep members out of this. We tried to make the qualifications reasonably easy to meet. If there are members who miss the qualifications in some regard, we'll look at their posting history.

Last edited:
I would like to implore those who decide on who is eligible to purchase the 2018 BF knife to modify the qualifications to allow anyone who was a member of the forum before today, regardless of the number of posts, to buy the knife.

I discovered this forum several weeks ago, and have spent some time on it each day. I have participated in the last few polls, and was really excited to be able to purchase this knife. It seems a little arbitrary to announce the eligibility rules AFTER the polls are completed. That should have been done at the beginning. And why three months? Why 30 posts? Limit two is a good idea. Or even one.
It seems that several others are as disappointed as I was with today's post re eligibility.

Pretty please?

I would like to buy. Thanks.
Larry

Edit - I had written the above post, then as I was reading through some old posts, I saw the above quoted post from Prester John. I like him am very disappointed. I have been voting in the polls since I joined thinking I would be eligible to buy one. I understand not wanting someone to join now just to buy the knife, but that is not my case. Like he said, there must be others, but I have not read all the posts.

Last edited:
I'm in for a couple. One for me, and the other for my teenage son. He has a couple from past years, but seemed really bummed that I couldn't swing one for him last year.

I've been on the site as a member off and on over 10 years, but I don't post much since I like to read what others have to say instead of voicing my thoughts. I don't have 30 posts over 10 years despite being on this forum looking at posts almost every night over that 10 year period. If the requirement is 30 posts then I don't qualify. Ok I get it but at this point it makes me not want to purchase this year's knife. It's a little bitter really. Maybe next year you can hone down the process another way to protect the integrity of the process.
The thing you all missed out on this year was the chance to name this year's knife as a tribute to Derrick Bohn. Would have been a classy move.

I've been on the site as a member off and on over 10 years, but I don't post much since I like to read what others have to say instead of voicing my thoughts. I don't have 30 posts over 10 years despite being on this forum looking at posts almost every night over that 10 year period. If the requirement is 30 posts then I don't qualify. Ok I get it but at this point it makes me not want to purchase this year's knife. It's a little bitter really. Maybe next year you can hone down the process another way to protect the integrity of the process.
The thing you all missed out on this year was the chance to name this year's knife as a tribute to Derrick Bohn. Would have been a classy move.

You have 196 posts. You don't need to be bitter.

Getting a very good number of takers already :):cool:

For those who feel excluded due to posting eligibility- it is necessary - but why not try to establish a connexion with established members? They MIGHT be able to order one for you as well?

Getting a very good number of takers already :):cool:

For those who feel excluded due to posting eligibility- it is necessary - but why not try to establish a connexion with established members? They MIGHT be able to order one for you as well?

It might help to have further elaboration as to why it’s “necessary” as some of the criteria seems somewhat arbitrary. I miss the eligibility by about ten days, even though I meet the post number qualifications. And I’d like to think I’ve been a respectful contributing member of the community.

I’m not posting to make a stink, as the final design decisions have left me not interested in ordering anyway, but I do feel for some here who will miss out. Especially since, as some have noted, some members will be buying an extra for family members who perhaps aren’t forum members. Seems incongruent with the intent of the criteria that someone who isn’t a member will be walking around with one, when members will miss out.

Hopefully, we can see our way toward bending the criteria on a case by case basis. Hell, I see people with single digit posts and recent join dates “all in” for giveaways, and no one seems to give that a sideways glance.

Thanks for listening.

Most of the rules are designed around keeping people from buying and flipping. Low post count usually is someone who is only active in the exchange or joined just to buy a knife at some point or another.

The limit to 2 knives is interesting to me as I know some people were thinking of buying several for friends or family since the price is pretty good for what we're getting. But, knife flippers could buy a bunch and mess up the intent of the forum knife. Like many rules, they were created because a few dumbies messed it up for the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back