2018 Winter/Christmas Kith

The theme is damascus bird n’ trout.

So, I know you’re joking, but I just pulled this out of the vinegar forge scale pickle
nJjkhQR.jpg

This little guy has a planned home already though.

It would be fun to participate in a kith, but I personally would need more advanced warning. My old hobby speed was about a month to finish a knife. As I’ve gotten more into it I’ve become slower not faster because I find it more enjoyable to push myself to do better rather than go faster. To do something I felt good enough about to put into a kith, I think I’d need a solid 3 months. I know that’s a lifetime compared to what some of you guys need to turn out a quality piece. Maybe if there’s a future one with a target date known well in advance.

I'd love to participate, but I'll be traveling till mid December. If the dates were moved back, I'd definitely be in...

I’m not sure what to say here. It shouldn’t be a problem to finish a knife in 5-6 weeks. We’re not talking about highly ornamental Warenski’s here. Sometimes life doesn’t work the way we want it to. The winter Kith runs every year. If someone needs more time, put aside a partially finished knife at some time throughout the year. If you’ve never seen the kith threads before, you’re probably in your first year here, so we should change everything up to accommodate you personally? I’m pretty damned busy this year, and I’ve only finished three knives. I’ve got four or five partially finished knives that I could complete in a weekend. I’m taking time out of my busy schedule to run this thing, and it seems there’s a never ending list of people suggesting how they want it done, either in the main thread, or via PM. I’m not upset about a post saying “sorry I can’t participate, not enough time.” It’s the “change the parameters to accommodate me” posts that are unsettling. If you are too busy, that’s ok. We can’t always have things work in our favour.

I’m not sure what to say here. It shouldn’t be a problem to finish a knife in 5-6 weeks. We’re not talking about highly ornamental Warenski’s here. Sometimes life doesn’t work the way we want it to. The winter Kith runs every year. If someone needs more time, put aside a partially finished knife at some time throughout the year. If you’ve never seen the kith threads before, you’re probably in your first year here, so we should change everything up to accommodate you personally? I’m pretty damned busy this year, and I’ve only finished three knives. I’ve got four or five partially finished knives that I could complete in a weekend. I’m taking time out of my busy schedule to run this thing, and it seems there’s a never ending list of people suggesting how they want it done, either in the main thread, or via PM. I’m not upset about a post saying “sorry I can’t participate, not enough time.” It’s the “change the parameters to accommodate me” posts that are unsettling. If you are too busy, that’s ok. We can’t always have things work in our favour.
My apologies, Warren. I didn't intend to suggest that the schedule should change just to accommodate me, but rather saying that if it were moved for any reason, I'd be able to join. I'll just wait for the next one that does fit my bizarre schedule. I meant no disrespect, and thank you for taking the time to run these KITHs.

My apologies, Warren. I didn't intend to suggest that the schedule should change just to accommodate me, but rather saying that if it were moved for any reason, I'd be able to join. I'll just wait for the next one that does fit my bizarre schedule. I meant no disrespect, and thank you for taking the time to run these KITHs.

No worries. I’m in a bit of a pissy mood this morning.

You can always try. The drawing isn't until the end. Your knife just has to be done at the time of the drawing there may be a chance that date slides just a little. The worst thing that can happen is that you end up further along on a knife.

That looks great!

Stacy, can you put this in the stickies please.

More update pics...

9596B5EC-8F5D-4650-B830-FC151D71594A.jpeg

While fitting the sheath... SON OF A!!! FU#€ YOU, YOU PIECE OF GRIT!!!!
AHHHH!!! so angry.

707C162A-A301-4155-9A16-4DF8CF15383B.jpeg

I'm still up in the air about what to try. I have some chef knives hardened up but this is the open kith so I kinda feel like its more fun to go non kitchen. I have some tool steels that would make the whole drop point hunter thing a bit more appealing to receive. The heat treat recipe will be untested though. I would live to get some feedback but I don't want to be handing out a lemon. What do you guys think?

Back