2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Well, $#!*%... I ordered a snakewood. Wasn't intending to buy one of these (29s), but everyone else's pics finally wore me down, and I had a moment of weakness. :mad:

Last edited:
My snakewood #29 pre-order was canceled. I bought a #29 bloodwood today and I used bonus points. I saved $20 ! Seth Borries was last weeks "Forged in Fire" champion. Southernlongbeardknives -- Seth is 29 years old and trained by a master blade-smith. Seth's saber sword almost cut a hog in half and it did not break hitting a Ram scull. I ordered a 6" harpoon clip fixed blade "Karen" knife in Snakewood. When GEC fails , go buy/order a custom knife.

So who scored a snakewood. I took a nap and they were gone. :( Don't know that I would have pulled the trigger but didn't even get the adrenaline rush or nothin. :(

So who scored a snakewood. I took a nap and they were gone. :( Don't know that I would have pulled the trigger but didn't even get the adrenaline rush or nothin. :(
The snake wood has some nice soul but the blood wood has some really nice color and grain . Reminds me of Osage wood as far as the open grain in pictures anyway.
Which I prefer but not getting either as long as my will power holds out :confused:
Especially since I already have The acrylic Coffee house SFO in route that I failed miserably not pulling the trigger :eek:
But it was a fun one to try and buy hoping to get one quick on the draw lol.

My GEC#29 snakewood knife pre-order was canceled by my GEC dealer on Thursday. I bet I was the first to put in a snakewood pre-order with my GEC dealer on the web. I spotted the #29 schedule GEC posting about 15 minutes after it was posted a while back. I was sure that I was going to get that one. I have a #92 camel bone on pre-order. I am not happy with GEC on the #92 & the #86. I have one arm , I need single blade GEC knives.

My pre-order for snakewood was cancelled as well. Thought for sure I had mine in quick enough as well. Checked my phone and I had a comfirmation email 3 minutes after the text went out for reservations. I don't know??? Missed out on the 4 drops today. A few more chances yet. If not I might try for the curly maple.

I was lucky enough to land a Coffee House and a Snakewood 29...just happened to be sitting at my computer when both dropped (I’ve missed more drops than I can count).

Can’t wait to see everyone’s photos!

Oh boy that was a close one ! Had just put a blood wood in my cart and going to checkout and simultaneously got a usps update text saying my Coffee house SFO will be here Thursday.
I removed it from my cart and exited the site as fast as I could lol . Not sure if there was a limit on how many you could buy or not but try to add two and it wouldn’t let me so either that or it was the last one .
Now will see if I can survive any in stock notifications on the others on my list.

Sorry to derail the discussion of the Coffee House and Wood #29s, but I thought I'd post this picture:

sBXJxrml.jpg

I've been enjoying mine. I was at my wife's grandparents house for a while while she helped them with caretaking and the best thing I could do was stay out of the way. So I went outside and cleared some dead branches out of their yard, and I thought I saw a spoon in one of them. Unfortunately my original plans for a kind of thin curvy spoon were dashed by lots of knots, but I got something out of it at least. I'm by no means experienced or skilled at whittling, and this spoon is very rough and not super functional, but the maple looks nice and maybe it could be a sugar spoon.

The Stockyard Whittler did pretty well. I was impressed with the heat treat of the awl. I do think sunken joints would make it a lot more comfortable in extended use.

Fooling around with mine, I discovered that the joints are flush at half-stop. Doesn’t matter really but I think it’s a nice touch.
Same here On the main blade and secondary . For sure it’s a nice touch that normally I haven’t ran across except with the few customs I’ve owned.

Back