2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

Just visit the this forum and you should see the developing selection process. It started this year in the spring with polls and so forth. Basically after a knife is settled on, members are given the option to choose to get it. This year a preliminary number was developed in the Spring and the purchase (exchange of money) happened in the early fall. Normally, you have to pay up front for the knife before it's made. The reason is so all the money can be collected and provided in the case of this year to GEC as a substantial deposit is required.

I carried mine to town today. Walked a fair distance while there. Kind of surprised I forgot it was in my pocket. I don't think I'll be carrying it this summer when wearing shorts, but it really does carry in jeans better than expected. This is a nice knife. Here's a couple of comparison pics with an old Case 3299 1/2. The Case is slightly longer and slightly thinner. GEC really should take a lesson from Case regarding sunken joints.
IyB5QwH.jpg

YMctwu8.jpg

A52D5TQ.jpg

I carried mine to town today. Walked a fair distance while there. Kind of surprised I forgot it was in my pocket. I don't think I'll be carrying it this summer when wearing shorts, but it really does carry in jeans better than expected. This is a nice knife. Here's a couple of comparison pics with an old Case 3299 1/2. The Case is slightly longer and slightly thinner. GEC really should take a lesson from Case regarding sunken joints.
IyB5QwH.jpg

YMctwu8.jpg

A52D5TQ.jpg
Look how much longer that case is, but the blade is the same length, or pretty close it looks from here. GEC could have done as you suggested with the sunken joint . And I'd be in agreement, but case could learn how to use the entire blade well. Also, I noticed that some of the extra length of the case was nullified by the long tangs compared to the tang length of the GEC.

Look how much longer that case is, but the blade is the same length, or pretty close it looks from here. GEC could have done as you suggested with the sunken joint . And I'd be in agreement, but case could learn how to use the entire blade well. Also, I noticed that some of the extra length of the case was nullified by the long tangs compared to the tang length of the GEC.
You got me curious. And its snowing. And I'm watching reruns of SG-1. So I took some measurements. All approximate as I just grabbed a handy tape measure and didn't drag the calipers out. Closed length of the GEC is 97mm and the Case is 105mm, or about 0.3".
Blade length is 78mm for the GEC and 80mm for the Case. Insignificant difference. Cutting edge is around 70mm for both knives.
I think the tang length just looks different in the pics, because they measure the same (ok 2mm difference).
The Case has a pen as a secondary which is the same length as the sheepsfoot on the GEC. In person these knives are clearly the same pattern. They're virtually identical in terms of pull, half stops, snap. I like both of them.

Saw that someone got their forum knife today :) Can't wait for some more pics :thumbsup:

Back