2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

I hate when I hit the wrong button!! Big pics here!!!:)
View attachment 1198627 View attachment 1198628
1IMgon7.jpg

What!? :eek: That's like swapping a tenderloin for sirloin.

Ha - I think he's talking Waynorth for Waynorth...not Waynorth for 93 Ram. Or do you value one Waynorth flavor that much more than the other? Now I'm confused! :confused::)

@nathcezz Either way, you'd be best served posting up on the Trade forums.

Ha - I think he's talking Waynorth for Waynorth...not Waynorth for 93 Ram. Or do you value one Waynorth flavor that much more than the other? Now I'm confused! :confused::)

Yes. Everyone knows that the dark chestnut bone lambfoot knives are preferable to their ebony counterparts with the giant sinkholes. ;)

Yes. Everyone knows that the dark chestnut bone lambfoot knives are preferable to their ebony counterparts with the giant sinkholes. ;)

Ahhhh, got it! lol

Hey, on a serious note...do you know the why's and what's behind the sinkholes vs flush pins by chance? I've never heard the explanation of the construction process and sometimes wonder about that.

I agree, smooth wood should be the easiest to get a flush fit of the pins, as you can sand them after assembly.

I think the two set-in pins are the ones to hold the covers and are basically small brass nails, then they punch the inside end to lock them to the liners. Then the two flushed ones are the through pins to hold the backspring. The cover pins would be done pre-assembly and the others during. Anyhow that's what it looks like to me.

Ahhhh, got it! lol

Hey, on a serious note...do you know the why's and what's behind the sinkholes vs flush pins by chance? I've never heard the explanation of the construction process and sometimes wonder about that.

The flush pins are the spring pins. They are peened and sanded flush earlier in the finishing, if my memory serves.

The "sinkhole" pins are the pins that hold the covers on. They are counter spun. I think the reasoning for this is fewer pin cracks and stronger hold.

I certainly know several collectors who don't like it one bit. I had and used traditionals when I was young, but primarily got GECs when I got back in to traditionals so the countersunk pins were normal to me. Now that it's been pointed out I do think they're less aesthetically pleasing, but I still prefer a knife with GEC quality and countersunk pins than most knives from other companies.

Seems a bit misleading as that's a different knife you show there. Looks like a 74.

As you can clearly see from this pic there are NO sunken pins on the Ebony 93.
CJAiMPe.jpg

Huh? Mark's post at #1871 and your picture above clearly show sunken pins.

It is a #74. Charlie asked what I meant, so I used my picture as an illustration. It is more marked on the #74 than on the #93 pattern, but the sinkholes exist on all GEC patterns.

B B.F.U Rose and Thistle Custom Rose and Thistle Custom Thanks for the details. Kind of interesting. That’s the first time I recall seeing anyone address that mystery.

They would presumably do the bone covers differently because they have to. Makes me wonder if the wood/micarta cover process is a time saver as well as reduction in split/crack risk.

Yeah Ramrodmb Ramrodmb , look closely at the bolster and blade side pins. Same as mine.

These don’t bother me btw, though I’d pick flush if I had my pick.

Back