Photos 2019 Traditional Blade Forum Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have queried the idea of Lionsteel, well I was in that camp until I actually bought and got to use their Roundhead, in my book everything about it is right: big enough, not heavy, 1st class F&F, non corroding materials, brilliant steel and stellar use of natural handle slabs, and I'm not a huge Barlow fan either. Anyway, two Forum knives have been Barlows so I think it's time to look beyond... Lionsteel's Opera looks enticing...;)

I would be in for a 29 if it were a 2 it single spring knife, but I don't want a 3 spring knife, and that thing as it is won't make the $100 Mark. 2 blade tidioue 78s barely make the $100 Mark. I'd be fine with the 86. I would love a Whittler or a half Whittler. I like Jeff's idea about the Zulu spear 92. Or, a single spear 86 to keep the costs down

IF it has to GEC again then why ask for a variant of their new 29? Not that distinguished and a three blade will cost a lot- the Dixie runs around 120 so I think a 29 'special' will cost more.

Personally, I'd ideally like a pattern we've not had before and something GEC has yet to offer but uses an existing frame, to keep costs down etc. Use a 14 frame as a Sleeveboard and do it as Shadow which GEC has not done either so you have the tooling ready, the blades but a novel configuration and finish. Smooth Bone, Wood or an Acrylic looking like Butter&Molasses would be beauties with a small Bar shield. Just asuggestion?

Another option is to investigate a Lionsteel knife, they finish knives really well and CK has an established connexion with them. They could offer a 'New Traditional' pattern as single blade say a Swell End, Saddlehorn, Sodbuster or even a Traditional Italian or Sardinian style pattern?

I've had nearly all the forum Knives since 08 with the exception of 09 and 12. The two I like most and use are the 14 Stag and the current Forum Knife 18 in Elk, the latter is going to be used and carried of that I'm certain.

Thanks, Will

Don't know, will have to look into it but if it's Northwoods then I suppose KSF have the monopoly rights on it even if made by GEC.?

A 57 GEC Half Whitt with Wharncliffe major would be worth thinking about, or my real dream, a single blade 92 Eureka with Spear longpull-make it Bowtie shield, smooth bone and all stainless construction why don't you?:cool:

Wharncliffe Way Forward? ;)

DdGNbX4.jpg

hz7wyVi.jpg

Last edited:
33 Conductor would be an excellent host from my POV as would the White Owl 68 with SPEAR master :cool:

GEC have several patterns I'd be up for which I already have: 33, 57, 68, 71, 92 But the problem is persuading GEC to accommodate them into their existing production schedule, not easy I suspect. They don't revive patterns so much, and may have production arrangements already pencilled in.

A 71 Sodbuster style knife in a unique Micarta or Burlap would be a hardy and attractive work-knife and the Forum has not had this type before surprisingly enough. Why not a unique 73 for that matter? An iconic GEC pattern, where it all began.

Others have called for a big knife, makes a change yes but could limit carry. I would like a new blade shape though, perhaps a Halfhawk type which GEC has had on 56 and the Viper pattern too I think. Drop-Point needs attention, hence the Sodbuster or 73 idea.:cool:

Some good thoughts Will.

I am all for a worker/user pattern and a 71 would do the trick - and very easy to organise.

Another GEC option that would be popular is a beer scout style knife -

IMG_2999_zps5qluzyrn.jpg

Perhaps we could drop the scout shield and etch and go for something simple.

Although the 15 has been done before this blade combination could be done on the #86 sleeveboard frame.

The simplicity and traditional looks of sawcut bone are always reliable.

I would be interested in something different like the #65 Ben Hogan bare head or the #57 since I missed out on both of them when they were made.

Agree with the above. Here is a nice example of a wooden handled sodbuster

dS5ZTZy.jpg

I read a recent post where someone mentioned the GEC #71 used to be much slimmer, which also sounds cool.

Just a further thought, as I recall, last year it was suggested we tack an order on to the back of the 14 run for the 2018 BF knife. myself and others cautioned against it because the knife would be lost among the multiple SFOs. I think this was a good call and we should apply the same reasoning this year. That is, trying for a knife that is a little unique or at least distinctive. But still popular.

Last edited:
We would have been lucky to have had the #14 option. We should be shooting for the most awesome knife we can possibly attain. Look at last year’s knife. It is basically an average looking knife at best. So what we ended up with was a knife that an average person would not even recognize as special. Now look at the top looking GEC #14 SFO’s such as Gunstock Jack’s. This was a work of art, a piece of jewelry, and thing of beauty.

Y5XuIz1.jpg

Both the 2018 BF knife and this Gunstock Jack cost under $100. Which one would you want? Which one has much greater long term value. I doubt I’m being clear, but I think we should be shooting for a knife that we really think is special. In the past GEC has allowed us to have the PPP (Pattern Production Premier) on patterns that have later gone on to become classics. We should ask for this again.

Also, we really need a shield. A knife without a shield is alright, but with a nice shield it becomes classic.

Last edited:
Travman Travman good points, I agree. perhaps I should qualify my point and note that the concern was that the BF version of the 14 would be buried amongst all the various SFOs and indeed may not turn out to be particularly special in comparison, which I think was valid.
It is true that last year’s 14 run had a lot of SFO’s. Not all runs have a lot of SFO’s though. The upcoming knives may not even have an SFO.

This is all just fun conversation until real people start to get involved. I just hope we don’t end up with an average knife. It would be cool to see one that is so beautiful people still hunt for it years from now.

Not to throw a wrench in things, but is Canal Street an option now that they are manufacturing again? Could they handle a 400+ piece order?

Man you all are impressive :) I followed every word of the proceedings last year which started in March/April and by the final vote I was physically and mentally exhausted LoL o_O This time I think I'll pop in every 50 pages or so to see what the current events are ;) Not sure what all has been discussed so far but I did like the very first option that was in the OP, I would be on board for either of those GECs. The Buck lock backs certainly had a lot of traction in last years voting, maybe one of those in ram horn or ironwood? That buckeye burl was pretty sweet too. Just some food for thought... good luck everyone, see you in 43 pages :)

Buck makes a good user knife. I'm glad you guys like your 2018 Forum Knife. I know there are a lot of Buck fans here, so I'm not going to say anything bad about Buck, they are fine and dandy. But, Buck doesn't really make a knife that makes me drool and hyperventilate like other brands can do. I'm open to a lot of different styles and makers as long as it's a cool knife and kind of different than our average purchases. I think GEC gets a lot of nods because they are capable of making so many different options and we know it will be a quality build. I'm inclined to go back to GEC for our 2019 Forum Knife.

We would have been lucky to have had the #14 option. We should be shooting for the most awesome knife we can possibly attain. Look at last year’s knife. It is basically an average looking knife at best. So what we ended up with was a knife that an average person would not even recognize as special. Now look at the top looking GEC #14 SFO’s such as Gunstock Jack’s. This was a work of art, a piece of jewelry, and thing of beauty.

Y5XuIz1.jpg

Both the 2018 BF knife and this Gunstock Jack cost under $100. Which one would you want? Which one has much greater long term value. I doubt I’m being clear, but I think we should be shooting for a knife that we really think is special. In the past GEC has allowed us to have the PPP (Pattern Production Premier) on patterns that have later gone on to become classics. We should ask for this again.

Also, we really need a shield. A knife without a shield is alright, but with a nice shield in becomes classic.

That's just like your opinion, man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back