2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Just like Jiki Jiki said, these will sell out no problem and become highly desirable on the secondary.

The time to buy backups is now.

I only use my Carver when I'm carving, my Whittler when I'm whittling, my Stockman or Cattle knife when I'm working on the ranch, my Boys knife when I'm playing tag, my Trapper when I'm skinning an animal, my Pen knife when I'm writing, and my Jack knife when I'm playing cards. :D
What do you do when you're carrying your Ettrick? :D:D:D:D

NQGX1yX.jpg

As promised.
35 calf pen
82 Dixie stockman (same blade as the 62 EPC)
62 pocket carver (evidently similar to the 06 pemberton, but I will never know :p)
You can obviously whittle with all three and I have. However I much prefer the size of the 62 carver.

Thanks Jiki for the comparison picture. I Now can see what i will get. The 35 main is indeed longer, i like to whittle with it but the shorter one of the 62 could be more precise. I expect a lot from the secondaries.

0S4LIF3h.jpg

Dan.

Thanks Jiki for the comparison picture. I Now can see what i will get. The 35 main is indeed longer, i like to whittle with it but the shorter one of the 62 could be more precise. I expect a lot from the secondaries.

0S4LIF3h.jpg

Dan.
Very clean looking ball in cage... nice.....

I think you'll be very happy with the shorter blade of the PC.. for me, and my style (or, lack thereof) of whittling, it's much easier to control. I've used a Case swayback gent a couple of times, and it's really just too long for the small pieces I do. I have the same issue with the Case seahorse. Those are good for taking large chunks out, but I don't do that very often.

The secondaries on the PC are just scary, if you get them sharp. In fact, I find it difficult to go "shallow" sometimes. It's like sticking the tip of a scalpel into the wood. They are great for little details...

I do think you're out thinking the room a bit. I also think it's you that is trying to label and categorize the knife by it's name.

...GEC will never make them again...

Do you have an 82 Dixie stockman? I think you would enjoy the blade combination with your do everything pocket knife mantra. I certainly enjoy the utility of it. Oh wait never mind, you will think you have come down to the south to use it.;)

Doug wasn't commenting on the bevel but the thickness of the blade. Btw

well it’s one way or the other- either my reaction is that Doug has a well founded review of the main as a carver per design intent, or its a general purpose blade and it’s just fine the way it is as I initially stated. I’m not so much out-thinking the room; I’m just thinking carefully.

I think the fact that GEC will never make these again says something. If the popularity for a purpose built (or as advertised) pocket knife was going to generate more income, the smart business decision would be to make more, as is the case of the ubiquitous and successful #15 and her variants. I just don’t see using rarity as a measure of success.

and finally I was sorely tempted by the Dixie stockman/possum skinner for precisely that reason. I think your intuition on the value of that knife is spot on. Truth be told I’m just not a big fan of blade crinking, which is one of the main reasons the #35 was irresistible. I love the asymmetric grind. It’s a thing of beauty and truly a “do everything” knife.

:eek::eek::eek: PLEASE tell me you haven't tried to smoke one of those beauties! The horror... the horror..... If you have one, I'll trade you a box of Churchills you CAN smoke for it.... :cool:

hahaha I’m waiting for them to make the #35 again so I can get a box of THOSE Churchills. A fantastic knife, to be sure.

I only use my Carver when I'm carving, my Whittler when I'm whittling, my Stockman or Cattle knife when I'm working on the ranch, my Boys knife when I'm playing tag, my Trapper when I'm skinning an animal, my Pen knife when I'm writing, and my Jack knife when I'm playing cards. :D

let’s not forget a lady leg for when you can-can, a canoe for canoeing, a half Whittler for when you’re just not enthusiastic about it, a gunstock on your gunstock, a Barlow for riding down the Mississippi, a sod buster for farming, and a sow belly for your bacon.

think the fact that GEC will never make these again says something. If the popularity for a purpose built (or as advertised) pocket knife was going to generate more income, the smart business decision would be to make more, as is the case of the ubiquitous and successful #15 and her variants. I just don’t see using rarity as a measure of success.
You are correct for a standard business model, however GEC is not a standard business model. There are quite a few reasons that they don't go back to patterns and the first one is (also a paraphrased quote from inside the company) there are too many knives to make and not enough time.
I may be wrong, they make these again, but based on what they have done in the past at a minimum it will not be for a long time.

:D
You are correct for a standard business model, however GEC is not a standard business model. There are quite a few reasons that they don't go back to patterns and the first one is (also a paraphrased quote from inside the company) there are too many knives to make and not enough time.

haha, what you propose somehow reminds me of the underpants gnomes from South Park, for those well versed in the peak of intellectual television...

I don’t have an MBA, but I’m pretty sure that selling what the customers want is exactly how GEC works. Sure- they’re like the Hill Farmstead of the knife world: operate in “small” quantities, diversify the product to drive scarcity and promote collections, use scarcity to drive sales, sell ~100% of the product every time to your dealers.

I’m sure GEC has a lot of reasons for switching up knife designs, some of them out of genuine love for the product, but I’m sure at the end of the day the reason is to drive product excitement and ultimately sales. Bill Howard’s no dope, GEC makes money by being clever about how they make certain knives scarce for long periods of time.

Mr. Howard surely isn’t sitting in his office chair late at night losing sleep because there’s just not enough time to give the people the variety of knives that they need. :D

I don’t know much about business models, but it seems to me that if GEC feels that another run 7 years from now will be profitable, they will do it. Heck, I bet if I told Mr. Howard I’d buy $35M worth of #62 pocket carvers right now, I bet he’d put the 23’s on hold and crank those bad boys out.

So if you tell me the PC’s are a success because they sell out, I’d say that’s by design. Selling out like TC Barlows Or even the 93 ramsfoot? They are not.

edit: had to fix a tortured sentence... poor thing.

Last edited:
Very clean looking ball in cage... nice...

The secondaries on the PC are just scary, if you get them sharp.

Thanks hornetguy, it's been the hardest piece of basswood i've ever whittled, i've seen softer ashwood. I will take care of the secondaries edges, i've spent during my life more time at sharpening than at whittling!

Dan.

SFOs are limited to 500 units.

yeah, and at ~$100 per knife that’s About $50k. I doubt any SFO has mentioned a number large enough to even approach $35M, which is why I picked it. Point being, #62’s would get made if there was enough money in it. This whole “we just don’t have the time to make more!” just doesn’t seem believable. It sounds like official company propaganda.

Does anyone else remember when people tried things for themselves and formed their own opinions instead of relying on some YouTube guru to tell them what to think? I'm just checking to see if I'm fossilized yet.
Doug Linker is a little different than a reviewer. He is an outdoorsman and carver. He is a very good carver and does nice instructional carving videos. As a matter of fact he didn't really review the knife. A viewer asked him what he thought and he basically said it was very nice and beautiful. He then stated that he was spoiled by the carving knives that he used (Drake, Helvie, and OCC) and he was going to get the main blade thinned down some.
He didn't say it was good or bad just what he was going to do.
Much to much has been read into his words here. He didn't say that it was a general purpose blade. He didn't review the knife. He just said what he was going to do.

yeah, and at ~$100 per knife that’s About $50k. I doubt any SFO has mentioned a number large enough to even approach $35M, which is why I picked it. Point being, #62’s would get made if there was enough money in it. This whole “we just don’t have the time to make more!” just doesn’t seem believable. It sounds like official company propaganda.
I guess since you can't pony up the $35m we will never know.

Fossilization confirmed, thank you.

I did not say or imply that Doug is a reviewer, or that he had reviewed the Pocket Carver. I'm sure his videos are very helpful for those who can't be bothered to figure out for themselves how to reshape a block of wood with a knife. But much was made of his comment, and it appeared that people were forming opinions of the knife based solely on their interpretation of the comment by a person who they know only through YouTube. The fact that he is considered skilled and shares his techniques on that platform makes him (in my personal opinion of course) a YouTube guru.

As for speed in carving, I'm a whittler not a carver. Fast just takes the fun out of it for me.

Back