2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Bananas!

IMG_1254.jpg

I can’t help but to think of that stupid song... “it’s bananas! B-a-n-a-n-a-s!”

artistic choice there! The banana bends with the shape of the “bend” in the pattern!

a lot of nothing from the website and now Bam! Influx of beautiful knife pictures, two days in a row.

the “mike’s knives” offering is one classy outfit. It just exudes “I belong in your dress slacks”. You know, for those weddings you get dragged to where you don’t know anyone, but there was a branch outside that kind of reminded you of Kevin Bacon in “Tremors”, and you think you can improve upon it while the newly wed’s “best folk” carry on about how great the couple is for an hour.

I'm super excited for the bananas. I've never had banana shield GEC before, and I think I'll like this "Ripe" color more than the usual bright yellow. Some really cool SFOs, too. I may end up with more of these than I planned.

The rotten banana bone is very unique, but I that banana shield is not for me...different strokes

The rotten banana bone is very unique, but I that banana shield is not for me...different strokes
I’m with you. I could’ve gone for the banana bone, but that (IMO silly) shield killed it for me. That’s OK, though. I need all the help I can get to keep my jittery trigger finger still every time I see a new knife.

Great Odin's Raven, my unicorn is shipped! After seeing all unicorn photos getting posted on here I was starting to worry maybe mike forgot about me :) but I have to give him credit for having a great system for getting knives to humble collectors like myself.

A bit late to the Unicorn party, but, got mine yesterday. I actually got 2 GECs on back to back mail calls and to my surprise they are almost the same overall open length.

Really liking the 62, although I do gravitate towards the larger side of the traditional spectrum. The fit and finish, walk and talk, and pull on this little pocket knife are near perfect. I love how thin it is , I do wish that the main was a little larger like the 13. I was surprised that the main seems so much smaller than the 13 Clerk that I had. The 62 is a hair longer than the Clerk why a shorter main? Really like the Unicorn covers as well, a nice off white to cream with an up close pattern. Gonna have to get another as I am a sucker for a pen knife.

62_23_2.JPG 62_23_1.JPG

I just got shipping notice for my unicorn today. Wow it looks small in that picture.

I looked at mine under magnification today, and it does look like the black marks are polishing compound embedded in little micro cracks at the edges of the handles. There is even some imbedded in the edge by the liner that is only noticeable under magnification. I can live with it, but I think GEC should switch to a white compound in the future... it looks like the compound goes down in the acrylic cracks deep enough that it won't wear out easily...
iGD0Ge.jpg
iGDrXH.jpg

I looked at mine under magnification today, and it does look like the black marks are polishing compound embedded in little micro cracks at the edges of the handles. There is even some imbedded in the edge by the liner that is only noticeable under magnification. I can live with it, but I think GEC should switch to a white compound in the future... it looks like the compound goes down in the acrylic cracks deep enough that it won't wear out easily...
iGD0Ge.jpg
iGDrXH.jpg
Yep, that's what mine looks like, too. Like random scrimshaw. I guess because the edges of the scales aren't as rounded off as other areas, some lines remain to trap the dirt. I haven't bothered to try, but maybe it would wash out with soapy water or mineral oil.
White compound probably wouldn't make a difference, since it turns dark with swarf, at least it does when I use Flitz Polish. It's white from the tube, but after polishing metal, the rag turns dark.

White compound probably wouldn't make a difference, since it turns dark with swarf, at least it does when I use Flitz Polish. It's white from the tube, but after polishing metal, the rag turns dark.

Exactly right. When buffing, regardless of the color compound used, it will leave black residue that it has picked up from the buffing process. My guess is they use a white or green bar; as the grey/black bar usually still has a little cut to it. On these, either the material had an issue or they didn't get a completely smooth finish before buffing. You could get some high grit paper and knock it off then buff it back smooth (low rpm) in a couple minutes. If we never see this material again - we will know that it had chatter that wouldn't properly smooth off.

Yep, that's what mine looks like, too. Like random scrimshaw. I guess because the edges of the scales aren't as rounded off as other areas, some lines remain to trap the dirt. I haven't bothered to try, but maybe it would wash out with soapy water or mineral oil.

Exactly right. When buffing, regardless of the color compound used, it will leave black residue that it has picked up from the buffing process. My guess is they use a white or green bar; as the grey/black bar usually still has a little cut to it. On these, either the material had an issue or they didn't get a completely smooth finish before buffing. You could get some high grit paper and knock it off then buff it back smooth (low rpm) in a couple minutes. If we never see this material again - we will know that it had chatter that wouldn't properly smooth off.

Yes... of course, you are both correct. I hadn't thought of the polish turning dark... I suppose if a person wanted to try to remove the marks, a fine file might do it? I might try it some day, but I'm happy with my knife the way it is.
I learn stuff here all the time... :)

Just when I thought I was going to sit out another run, all these pics weakened my resolve and BINGO, unicorn ordered:rolleyes:

The black is indeed polishing compound. If mine shows any it will get hit with some 800 grit paper and rebuffed. Short of that, I have also found a clean cloth and a bit of rubbing alcohol does wonders to remove polishing compound.

Yes... of course, you are both correct. I hadn't thought of the polish turning dark... I suppose if a person wanted to try to remove the marks, a fine file might do it? I might try it some day, but I'm happy with my knife the way it is.
I learn stuff here all the time... :)
If I was you I’d find the highest grit sandpaper possible if I was to go about this at all. Woodturners who’ve tried our hands at acrylic can tell you it’s easy to scuff, hard to buff due to how apparent scratches are. The usual method is to buff up to 12000 for a mirror polish. It’s possible on a fast enough wheel to even get enough heat from friction to temporarily melt the surface and get your sanding medium caught in the surface (the adhesive of sandpaper gives out at high temperatures). If this was produced on a wheel it’s possible buffing compound got embedded in the acrylic. r8shell r8shell is 100% on that being used buffing compound. If you use a slip strop you’ll notice it gets black pretty quick.

Just when I thought I was going to sit out another run, all these pics weakened my resolve and BINGO, unicorn ordered:rolleyes:

The black is indeed polishing compound. If mine shows any it will get hit with some 800 grit paper and rebuffed. Short of that, I have also found a clean cloth and a bit of rubbing alcohol does wonders to remove polishing compound.

I had thought about using some kind of solvent, but I remembered that IPA, toluene, acetone, ALL will cause acrylic to crack and craze. We use acrylic tabletop chambers at work, and the operators kept wiping them down with IPA, and they all developed cracks in a relatively short period of time. We now have strict rules about "no IPA" on acrylic (plexiglas) items.

Just a heads-up....

Back