2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

A bit late to the Unicorn party, but, got mine yesterday. I actually got 2 GECs on back to back mail calls and to my surprise they are almost the same overall open length.

Really liking the 62, although I do gravitate towards the larger side of the traditional spectrum. The fit and finish, walk and talk, and pull on this little pocket knife are near perfect. I love how thin it is , I do wish that the main was a little larger like the 13. I was surprised that the main seems so much smaller than the 13 Clerk that I had. The 62 is a hair longer than the Clerk why a shorter main? Really like the Unicorn covers as well, a nice off white to cream with an up close pattern. Gonna have to get another as I am a sucker for a pen knife.

View attachment 1275114 View attachment 1275115

I don't have a #13 Clerk anymore (I briefly had the white bone "Office Knife" but didn't keep it), but if I remember, didn't it had a thicker spring and a bigger spacer or catch bit or whatever you want to call it that offset the pivot/tang of secondary blade, giving the main blade a lot more room (and allowing for it's longer length)? The way this #62 is set up, I don't think they could have possibly fit any more blade in there. :D

I do still have a #13 Whittler, with a main blade that's very comparable in length to the #62.

7lKYpbF.jpg

White, or cream micarta would probably have been a "safer" choice.... spoken with true 20/20 hindsight...:rolleyes:

I love light colored Micartas, but I don't know if GEC has ever used one nearly as "white" as this Unicorn Ivory Acrylic. Muslin Micarta is the lightest GEC Micarta that I can think of off the top of my head, and it's pretty dark compared to the Unicorn Ivory. (Light colored Micartas also darken significantly with carry/use.)

BCooYbS.jpg

A) I'm not sure that this is exactly the same acrylic as they used previously. Unicorn Ivory is a GEC name and it may be a 2nd attempt at a faux ivory product - just not the same (haven't asked).

B) I have head no negatives about nifebrite nor any word they have stopped using it. It has generally moved slower than other options; thus they may just be making to demand. But orange delrin, although a staple for hi-vis work slabs, has not moved well either - thus I would expect them to alternate.

Thanks, Mike. I hadn't thought about the possibility of it being different material than the "Unicorn Ivory" they used on the #25's. Looking at the two side by side, it looks like the same stuff to me, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully we'll see some more Nifebrite soon. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's great! I'm still kicking myself for passing on a couple Nifebrites that I could've easily picked up a few years back, like a #15 Farm Boy, or #99 Farmer Lock. :mad: :D

Not to beat a dead horse, but the buffing compound is getting into abrasive grit scratches left from sanding the backside of the knife.... If the knife backside were given a quick pass on an extra fine belt after buffing it would probably remove the compound and still leave an acceptable surface finish.... In other words make the last thing you do be a quick pass on a belt versus a buffing wheel....

RAuXLU6.jpg

Unicorn Ivory it is not....

But still pretty darned attractive!
JYvSdEE.jpg

KT0S8ex.jpg

Fairly impressed with this. Very well put together. It's almost boring opening a GEC tube, as you're almost always getting a predictably high quality knife ;)

Never had a 62 or a GEC with two blades on a single spring so I “had” to!:rolleyes::D Really impressive the way the blades are ground, and the third liner as a “spacer”. I know there is a proper term for it but I’m spacing it:eek:All in all I’m very impressed no gaps no rub and a really nice walkntalk. Imo a really snappy but also smooth 5.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
dc6CmbX.jpg

Could it be as simple as using a buffing wheel with white buffing compound instead of black on unicorn acrylic?!

I am getting anxious for the 62 Carver, and it seems like it is taking forever.........!
Have you seen what happens to white buffing compound after it hits nickle/silver? Not trying to be a bother, but it turns black, at least in my limited experience.

I'm no cutler, but the folks at GE produce the best quality knives I've seen in the past 3 decades. If they miss a trick, I'm willing to give them a pass.

I certainly mean no disrespect, as we are all friends here on the porch, but the folks at GE like Ken Daniels have been doing this for a long time. I'm sure they will be able to find a solution.

When I reserved the pocket carver, I mentioned a daydream of whittling away by a campfire while the kids played and the wife sipped wine. Then I thought, "am I really going to get back into woodcarving just because a cool new knife is released?"

My wife was away for a few days last week, and when the kids went to bed I decided to give carving another try, starting with a simple spoon from scrap birch. Well, my wife came home from her trip, was absolutely THRILLED about the spoon. She proceeded to show me a whole pinterest board of wooden spoons and utensils she's been saving (in fairness, she works for a kitchen supply company and has pinterest boards for lots of cooks items).

Now she wants me to carve bread bowls and serving bowls and all sorts of other things too.

Anyways, into carving I am with the full support of the Mrs., which is rare for any of my hobbies. Of course I used this as justification to not just pre-order the GEC pocket carver, but buy two new moras, a new sharpening system, and a nice Helkowerks hatchet. Thanks GEC 62!
full

When I reserved the pocket carver, I mentioned a daydream of whittling away by a campfire while the kids played and the wife sipped wine. Then I thought, "am I really going to get back into woodcarving just because a cool new knife is released?"

My wife was away for a few days last week, and when the kids went to bed I decided to give carving another try, starting with a simple spoon from scrap birch. Well, my wife came home from her trip, was absolutely THRILLED about the spoon. She proceeded to show me a whole pinterest board of wooden spoons and utensils she's been saving (in fairness, she works for a kitchen supply company and has pinterest boards for lots of cooks items).

Now she wants me to carve bread bowls and serving bowls and all sorts of other things too.

Anyways, into carving I am with the full support of the Mrs., which is rare for any of my hobbies. Of course I used this as justification to not just pre-order the GEC pocket carver, but buy two new moras, a new sharpening system, and a nice Helkowerks hatchet. Thanks GEC 62!
full
Well at least you will use yours lol! What sharpening system did you get?

Well at least you will use yours lol! What sharpening system did you get?
I've been using water stones lately, but the ones I have are a mishmash, and I haven't had a decent "range" of grits or a decent base with a nice water tub. I purchased a relatively cheap setup from a big online retailer with 400, 1000, 3000 and 8000 grit, a rubber adjustable base and a leveler. I figured I can grind away at the cheaper moras and chisels I have, get decent at sharpening and continue to upgrade both sharpening systems and blades in the future.

full
Nice work I see there!!
Please show us your hatchet and other knives!!

full
Wow! Those spoons are very well done. Got me interested in carving too. What introductory book or videos would you recommend?

Have you seen what happens to white buffing compound after it hits nickle/silver? Not trying to be a bother, but it turns black, at least in my limited experience.

I'm no cutler, but the folks at GE produce the best quality knives I've seen in the past 3 decades. If they miss a trick, I'm willing to give them a pass.

I certainly mean no disrespect, as we are all friends here on the porch, but the folks at GE like Ken Daniels have been doing this for a long time. I'm sure they will be able to find a solution.

I think you meant Bill Howard...Ken Daniels left GEC long time ago, took over Queen Cutlery and that closed down a couple of years back. But I see your point.

full

Beautiful! Did you use a gouge to carve the spoon bowl? You've carved out the best part of the wood to take advantage of the grain in the bowl. Not easy to do. Really beautiful.

Dan.

I think you meant Bill Howard...Ken Daniels left GEC long time ago, took over Queen Cutlery and that closed down a couple of years back. But I see your point.
You're absolutely correct, I meant Bill Howard. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, I sometimes get my wires crossed ;)

Wow! Those spoons are very well done. Got me interested in carving too. What introductory book or videos would you recommend?
I watched a few youtube videos after I started to see if there were tricks to removing most of the stock, those videos are where I learned about using the hatchet to rough-hew the shape. I did order a copy of "Heirloom Wood" by Max Bainbridge, but I haven't read it yet.
One quote I heard on a video went something like "Carving spoons is easy - just start removing wood until it looks like a spoon." That's the truth.

Beautiful! Did you use a gouge to carve the spoon bowl? You've carved out the best part of the wood to take advantage of the grain in the bowl. Not easy to do. Really beautiful.
I used a Mora hook knife for both spoons (walnut one is not quite done) but I also bought a bent bowl chisel/gouge, though I haven't used the gouge yet. That'll get tested on the birch bowl I want to make next.

Back