2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Cheers to all of the above. If it makes you feel any better, depending on the time of year and how hard I grip what I’m working on my whittles and cravings tend to darken as they absorbs the oils from my hands.

I don’t know about you guys, but I have been enjoying using those tiny secondaries. I don’t even have a dedicated carving knife with blades that fine.

and as far as the every day carry? So far so good. It’s been in my pocket all week and done what a good knife should.
You're welcome. :D;)

You wouldn't think so, but IMHO my matte micarta Pemberton and Eureka are two of the handsomest GECs I own. :)

BTW, received my bone carver the other day. Collectors might send it back due to blackish spots and a scratched bolster. BUT, the bone color is warmer than I expected, no sinkers, the pull feels just right to me for the blade sizes, I plan on beating it up pretty good, and my hands are usually so grimy I have to clean my whittles with brake cleaner when I'm finished anyway...;)

The perfect 62 for me, I'm more than happy to take one for the team...:D
I’m sure they are. You know here at BF, we need to see the pics, or it didn’t happen:),(just kidding).
pls do post some pics for us to enjoy.
cheers:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Got this yesterday and put a belly on one of the smaller blades and thinned it out a little more to be able to dig out material next time I whittle something, which isn’t often at all. Seems like it will be a little more useful than 3 of the same shaped blades.
Dropped the kick slightly as well so it didn’t sit above the blade well.
A4D7AB15-C251-43D1-B79D-B4298EA2326E.jpeg 7439C287-78ED-4EAD-8A9C-2E0E4624BD18.jpeg 462BD68C-B2F1-4B0A-9A6D-04AE973B109F.jpeg FDAB2106-CBBA-4D93-BA0A-493C0EA466E1.jpeg 99A7C420-26CC-4A6C-9A2C-7D37BCAA5A65.jpeg

Got this yesterday and put a belly on one of the smaller blades and thinned it out a little more to be able to dig out material next time I whittle something, which isn’t often at all. Seems like it will be a little more useful than 3 of the same shaped blades.

Two secondaries being the same put me off initially, so I can appreciate what you’ve done here. Well executed mod; you’re a braver person than I.

I am having a rare second tot of whiskey this evening... celebration of sorts. I just acquired one of my grail knives, and added another 62 (a black one) to the collection..

oh, did I mention... the grail knife ALSO happens to be a 62?

life is good. well, except for the wallet.....

edit:... I will update the family photo when they arrive.

I am having a rare second tot of whiskey this evening... celebration of sorts. I just acquired one of my grail knives, and added another 62 (a black one) to the collection..

Congrats on that exchange grab. I thought about it too long:eek:
Very nice!

Almost done, Cocobolo PC is on the way. I agree there’s something about this pattern that’s so alluring.:)View attachment 1302411

View attachment 1302457 View attachment 1302458 View attachment 1302459 View attachment 1302460 View attachment 1302461

What are the springs like on the pocket carvers?

The main is super snappy to all three positions due to the double spring, it's very nice. Pull is probably a 6 no more. The secondary on the mark side is a 5 pile side a 4. The pile side blade is sluggish from half stop to open, however you can feel the grit in the joint so I expect that to improve to at least what the mark side is now which is nice just a little softer than the main.

Mine are very firm. The main is exceptionally so- any firmer and as it snaps to half stop it would destroy my thumb nail. The secondaries are appropriately softer, but still snappy and firm. It might actually be firmer than my #93’s which were also quite stout.

cheers friend! Today I’ll celebrate your success with some bourbon of my own. I do enjoy hearing the rare song of the grail knife achievement (something akin to a squeel, I imagine). The 62 is a very well-made knife.

Capturing it in ‘NATURAL’ light, long shadow shot of Micarta. Looks a different shade.
CtRoJc9.jpg

Indoor artificial light,
Ye34Z28.jpg

Last edited:
full

Got this today, gave it a quick once over and it went out to the garage to join my other carving tools. Gonna have to start another spoon, this one is at the sanding stage already. Wife wants a honey dipper too, that’ll be a good challenge for the pocket carver (and my amateur carving skills).
Anyone know a good traditional slip joint blade shape that can cut concaves and hollows? I gave it a go with a Spey blade on a stockman but just didn’t do right. Maybe it’s the technique I’m missing. Cuts above were done with a rather large mora hook knife.

Most of the spey blades I've seen aren't really sharpened for this kind of work. Since it's pretty much the only thing I do with mine, I round off the tip into the edge. Aside from that, it's just patience.

View attachment 1302457 View attachment 1302458 View attachment 1302459 View attachment 1302460 View attachment 1302461
Very nice. I was thinking about doing something like that (I've come to really like the small clip blade on a Carpenter Whittler) There's a decent chance I could accidentally break the tip on one of the small blades, so I'll wait until that happens. It's good to have a plan. ;)

To compare to the other recent 62’s the main is definitely a stronger pull and the two secondaries are weaker, but not terribly so. On mine the mark side is the weaker of the two but again not terribly so. I would agree with Jiki’s numbers but maybe bump up the main (on mine at least).
Very nice. I was thinking about doing something like that (I've come to really like the small clip blade on a Carpenter Whittler) There's a decent chance I could accidentally break the tip on one of the small blades, so I'll wait until that happens. It's good to have a plan. ;)
Thanks. Good idea, they definitely get very thin towards the tip.

Most of the spey blades I've seen aren't really sharpened for this kind of work. Since it's pretty much the only thing I do with mine, I round off the tip into the edge. Aside from that, it's just patience.

sir... that is very impressive. No idea how you managed such a relatively clean job with that blade.

Back