2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

R0BNz6b.jpg

Overcome with ENVY :eek::D:D:thumbsup: No Stags for me overseas, didn't think I stood a chance of obtaining one, seen some fine examples on this thread though :)

The Goldenrod Camel will be taking the strain of EDC duties while the other two luxuriate in obscurity:D:D

A8lGk0g.jpg
Beautiful Golden Rod :thumbsup:
That’s one of if not my favorite cover !

Thanks, i'm very keen on it too;) I've got a lead on a Stag...do i need it?? The recent home move has proved expensive too, but....:D
I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but the time to get amazing GECs like this, especially in stag, is when they are available. So I think you should definitely snag one.

The crazy thing is that DLT hasn't dropped theirs yet. Do they ship internationally? ;)

They do, got the Desert Ironwood from them;) What with this move of house it's the Poor House for me;) Right, off to put on some rags and get my begging-bowl out and sit in front of the supermarket:D Er, it's sleeting like hell and 2C:eek: recipe for a corona.....

They do, got the Desert Ironwood from them;) What with this move of house it's the Poor House for me;) Right, off to put on some rags and get my begging-bowl out and sit in front of the supermarket:D Er, it's sleeting like hell and 2C:eek: recipe for a corona.....
I’ve already invested in a black marker and some pre-cut cardboard :D

:eek::eek::eek:... don't even SAY corona!!! We will have to quarantine you!

instead, use a generic description..... that really light beer from baja-USA....

I got my Carver yesterday and would have to say I'm a little disappointed with the W&T of both secondaries. Weak springs and very sluggish with next to no snap. I'm sure it could be improved some with a good flushing but wondering if it should be returned. The main blade action is good, and I'm satisfied with everything else concerning the knife.
I'm loving the action on my 62 Goldenrod.

I haven't heard anyone discuss the Carver secondary blade pulls in this thread, but I'd like to hear about yours.
Thanks.

You have surfaces sliding on surfaces.... Until they're burnished the action can be snaggy and harsh..... Put some oil on the joints and cycle the knife during an episode of Big Bang..... If it isn't better at the end of the show send me your address and I'll mail you $5 bucks.....

You have surfaces sliding on surfaces.... Until they're burnished the action can be snaggy and harsh..... Put some oil on the joints and cycle the knife during an episode of Big Bang..... If it isn't better at the end of the show send me your address and I'll mail you $5 bucks.....
I'm not an expert but can recognize wimpy spring action when I feel it. I realize that if I flushed, oiled and cycled the blades 100 times the action would smooth out. I dont think that if I flushed, oiled and cycled the blades till hell froze over, the pulls and snaps would increase. I dont think all Ws&Ts on the same run of knives are created equal.
Am I wrong?

I'm not an expert but can recognize wimpy spring action when I feel it. I realize that if I flushed, oiled and cycled the blades 100 times the action would smooth out. I dont think that if I flushed, oiled and cycled the blades till hell froze over, the pulls and snaps would increase. I dont think all Ws&Ts on the same run of knives are created equal.
Am I wrong?

I have 15 or so of the 62's from this run.... All have been excellent..... If you don't think you can remediate yours by breaking it in then by all means contact GEC and talk to them....

My first pocket carver has not arrived yet, but I would expect the spring action to be a little different from the regular 62's... all of my easy pocket 62's have been excellent, as well, but I'm reserving judgment on the spring action of the carvers until I get them in hand.

I would say that if it feels light, then it most likely is, and that flushing and exercising it will likely make it feel even lighter...
I have a Case copperhead that has a really light spring for the main blade.... probably a 3 or maybe less.... It's a nice knife, but I just have to be a little more careful how I apply it..

Am I wrong?
You stand to make $5 from HEMI 49 HEMI 49 if you can bring yourself to sit through an episode of The Big Bang Theory. I say give it a try. I’ve honestly been surprised to see how joint flushing and general use improve performance. My Queen #48 is so much better after some use and pocket time than when I first got it.

then again, no one can fault you for returning what you might have reason to believe is a defective product! Maybe they just missed the mark on that one.

full

Got this today, gave it a quick once over and it went out to the garage to join my other carving tools. Gonna have to start another spoon, this one is at the sanding stage already. Wife wants a honey dipper too, that’ll be a good challenge for the pocket carver (and my amateur carving skills).
Anyone know a good traditional slip joint blade shape that can cut concaves and hollows? I gave it a go with a Spey blade on a stockman but just didn’t do right. Maybe it’s the technique I’m missing. Cuts above were done with a rather large mora hook knife.

Anyone know a good traditional slip joint blade shape that can cut concaves and hollows? I gave it a go with a Spey blade on a stockman but just didn’t do right. Maybe it’s the technique I’m missing. Cuts above were done with a rather large mora hook knife.

That's a nice looking spoon. I was about to beg you to teach me how you got the bowl done with a pocketknife, until I read this last part. That Mora hook blade is what I used on my first attempt at a spoon. Personally, after playing with a couple of scraps, I don't think it's possible to get a smooth bowl with just a pocket knife.

Flexicut makes a multiblade knife, that folds up like a pocket knife. It has quite a few differently shaped blades, including scorps and what may be a gouge. I'm not that serious about it yet...

Back