2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Gathered the current family members together for a photo
JTEbhXN.jpg

Planning on adding a Cocobolo Carver and trying keep myself from giving in to the remaining 62 variants:rolleyes:

Gathered the current family members together for a photo
JTEbhXN.jpg

Planning on adding a Cocobolo Carver and trying keep myself from giving in to the remaining 62 variants:rolleyes:
Resistance is an exercise in futility.... energy wasted that could be used in the search for more 62's.....
I thought I was finished at 6, but am about to order #7...

I also thought I would only get 2 of the F&F pocket carvers... :rolleyes::oops:

Very nice Family my friend .

Harry
Thanks Harry! I am just in love with this pattern, as i know many of us are.

Resistance is an exercise in futility.... energy wasted that could be used in the search for more 62's.....
I thought I was finished at 6, but am about to order #7...

I also thought I would only get 2 of the F&F pocket carvers... :rolleyes::oops:
:p:D So why fight it then, the spice must flow.
Love that sig by the way:p:cool: "traditionals and throw-pillows"

Very nice Aryan, I love GEC's Natural Micarta, i was surprised to find them still in stock when i got mine

Very nice Aryan, I love GEC's Natural Micarta, i was surprised to find them still in stock when i got mine

Frankly, after handling this in natural micarta, and feeling it’s the smoothest, I’m tempted to order another, for back up purpose:).
Aryan.

That does it.... you two just pushed me over the line.... #7 is ordered. ...... sigh

edit:.... actually, I was pretty close, so it wasn't so much a "push" as it was a "nudge".... :)

That does it.... you two just pushed me over the line.... #7 is ordered. ...... sigh

edit:.... actually, I was pretty close, so it wasn't so much a "push" as it was a "nudge".... :)
LOL! I dont think you will be disappointed. I've been carrying the stag since i got it, but this micarta has got me thinking it is going to get some pocket time.

SEVEN is a lucky number,,, Good Luck :thumbsup:.
(Pls do post a group pic)
LOL! I dont think you will be disappointed. I've been carrying the stag since i got it, but this micarta has got me thinking it is going to get some pocket time.
I just noticed- the Natural Micarta is the only #62 I have in matte finish... which I prefer, love it already.
Aryan.

Last edited:
I just noticed- the Natural Micarta is the only #62 I have in matt finish... which I prefer, love it already.
Aryan.
I see you have a unicorn.... mine had black spots around the edges, so I used some 400 grit wet/dry paper with some light oil (3 in 1) and sanded out the black spots. It left it a wonderful matte finish, which to my eye, makes it look more like genuine ivory. It also gave the bolsters a matte finish, to match. I like it MUCH more than when it had the glossy finish. You could probably even go with 600 grit after that, if you wanted a slightly shinier finish. It didn't round out any edges in a noticeable way, just left it more comfortable in hand. I recommend it.... especially with you liking a matte finish...

That being said, my white bone carver showed up today... and it is wonderful. It has a few tiny black flecks in the "pores" of the bone, which I think will gradually go away.
In response to the discussion about the one with a really light pull.... my main blade is probably a 6, with the secondaries at about a 5. It is a typical GEC in fit, finish, and action. Definitely is a keeper....get out your crayolas, and color me a "62 fan-atic"

jgVGHq.jpg
jgV5ED.jpg

I’d seen the above pic, like it :thumbsup:.
I see you have a unicorn.... mine had black spots around the edges, so I used some 400 grit wet/dry paper with some light oil (3 in 1) and sanded out the black spots. It left it a wonderful matte finish, which to my eye, makes it look more like genuine ivory. It also gave the bolsters a matte finish, to match. I like it MUCH more than when it had the glossy finish. You could probably even go with 600 grit after that, if you wanted a slightly shinier finish. It didn't round out any edges in a noticeable way, just left it more comfortable in hand. I recommend it.... especially with you liking a matte finish...

That being said, my white bone carver showed up today... and it is wonderful. It has a few tiny black flecks in the "pores" of the bone, which I think will gradually go away.
In response to the discussion about the one with a really light pull.... my main blade is probably a 6, with the secondaries at about a 5. It is a typical GEC in fit, finish, and action. Definitely is a keeper....get out your crayolas, and color me a "62 fan-atic"

jgVGHq.jpg
jgV5ED.jpg

With that pocket carver, your GEC#62s family/group is growing :thumbsup:.

They ARE wonderful, aren't they? All of those look great! The two camels are really nice... very light coloration... I bet they will age very well...
Thank you ! I’m very happy with each and every one of them. I don’t think I’ve ever had so many from a single pattern like this that are all first class examples. I agree the two camel bones should acquire some more personality with Father Time:)
I love the blue camel bone with its flamboyant personality and the golden rod that’s more subtle yet holds its own Elegant beauty.

jgVGHq.jpg
jgV5ED.jpg
Very nice carver you’ve acquired !
Love the white bone :thumbsup:

...Anyone know a good traditional slip joint blade shape that can cut concaves and hollows? I gave it a go with a Spey blade on a stockman but just didn’t do right. Maybe it’s the technique I’m missing. Cuts above were done with a rather large mora hook knife.

Unfortunately it’s impossible to cut meaningfully deep, smooth continuous surfaces with an “unbent” blade. If you don’t mind a vertex traveling the length of your spoon’s bowl it’s relatively easy to carve a “V” down the center and balloon out the sides. It’s remarkably different looking, but makes for an interesting piece. I’m sure you’ve seen what the belly on a blade can do, so to some degree you can get shallow hollows with clips, speys and spears.

you could also take two sticks and whittle them to be a drill (with twine) and effectively burn out a hollow.

I know before I said whittling is only accomplished with a knife, but I would count whittling where the knife makes “the tool” to help whittle “the thing”. It’s an honorary degree for knife-craft.

Many Thanks,
Frankly, after handling this in natural micarta, and feeling it’s the smoothest, I’m tempted to order another, for back up purpose:).
Aryan.

You wouldn't think so, but IMHO my matte micarta Pemberton and Eureka are two of the handsomest GECs I own. :)

BTW, received my bone carver the other day. Collectors might send it back due to blackish spots and a scratched bolster. BUT, the bone color is warmer than I expected, no sinkers, the pull feels just right to me for the blade sizes, I plan on beating it up pretty good, and my hands are usually so grimy I have to clean my whittles with brake cleaner when I'm finished anyway...;)

The perfect 62 for me, I'm more than happy to take one for the team...:D

You wouldn't think so, but IMHO my matte micarta Pemberton and Eureka are two of the handsomest GECs I own. :)

...the bone color is warmer than I expected, no sinkers, the pull feels just right to me for the blade sizes, I plan on beating it up pretty good, and my hands are usually so grimy I have to clean my whittles with brake cleaner when I'm finished anyway...;)

Cheers to all of the above. If it makes you feel any better, depending on the time of year and how hard I grip what I’m working on my whittles and cravings tend to darken as they absorbs the oils from my hands.

I don’t know about you guys, but I have been enjoying using those tiny secondaries. I don’t even have a dedicated carving knife with blades that fine.

and as far as the every day carry? So far so good. It’s been in my pocket all week and done what a good knife should.

Back