2021 GEC #15 Urban Jack Photo Thread

I'm in on one. If I don't like it I will move it along....the comb on my B&S was pretty weak but after a flush and just fiddling with the knife it's improved a ton. It's one of my favorite knives to carry.

With that being said, the Urban Jack are gonna sell out just as quick as the B&S knives even with all the hate these and the B&S have received.

PT Barnum would suggest the knife be paired with this.

phOo5LU.jpg

I think my biggest complaint with the Beer & Sausage was not that the comb had such a weak pull, but that the other blades did as well.
I got lucky. The pull and snap on my blade and caplifter are good and no blade play. I like the little nub they put on the comb to open it; it works well. I thought it might be pokey in the pocket, but it’s not.
Lfpk6ay.jpg

The pull and snap on my blade and caplifter are good and no blade play.
Same here...
Comb has light pull and decent snap.
Blade has a decent pull and nice snap.
Caplifter has excellent pull and perfect snap.
No blade play on anything, not that I've noticed anyways.

I like the knife in of itself, just not big on the hipster image. I would try for one if I had the funds to spare actually. As thin and that its basically at liner level within the frame means the comb would be unobtrusive. So 95% of the time it's like a single blade 15,and then presto a comb to slick back the tangled mess that is under my hat from time to time.

I didn’t see anything about this release. I’m guessing it is a short run?

I think my biggest complaint with the Beer & Sausage was not that the comb had such a weak pull, but that the other blades did as well.
Lots of people have complained about the weak spring on the comb. And I could be wrong (it's been known to happen), but the first time I opened the comb on my Beer and Sausage, I realized instantly that the spring HAD to be that weak (or at least to my mind it did). Compare the comb to any other folding implement GEC has ever made. It's a completely different animal. It's crazy thin, and made of a completely different steel (I believe it's the same steel as used for the lock bar on 73s and 23s, but I'm not 100 percent). Now, consider all the stock removed from the impliments in order to make the tines on the comb. Can we imagine what would happen if that comb, in the open position, had to overcome even a 5 or a 6, on the spring stiffness scale, in order to close the comb?? I feel like it's pretty clear that the comb would fold in the enter area of its spine, thus ruining the entire knife.

I firmly believe that there's not only a method to the light pull madness, but a necessity. Granted, I guess GEC could have made an extra thick spine on the comb by making the tines half as deep/long. But then wouldn't we just complain about that? :D Additionally the spring itself is thin! In other words, it, too, can only do so much heavy work (although I'm sure it's the spine of the comb that's the weak link).

Just open and close one on a Beer and Sausage and ask yourself, as you're doing it, "could this handle a 6 on the spring strength?? Could it even handle a 4!?"

It's just that I hear about the weak spring thing so much with the Beer and Sausage, but no one ever considers the context.

I guess it will be telling to see what the spring is like on this" Urban Jack." If it's a stout 5....I guess I'm wrong on this theory.

Last edited:
I like the knife in of itself, just not big on the hipster image. I would try for one if I had the funds to spare actually. As thin and that its basically at liner level within the frame means the comb would be unobtrusive. So 95% of the time it's like a single blade 15,and then presto a comb to slick back the tangled mess that is under my hat from time to time.

Gotta say, the hipster thing is confounding to me, as well. I would have thought that "hipster culture" was the antithesis of "GEC culture." But, admittedly, I don't know the good folks at GEC, having never gone to the factory or conversed with their employees. Guess things are a little different over there than I always assumed. :)

If i want a comb i'll go to the barbers and buy one, for about 5 bucks, and that's Aussie dollars, and that's a metal one.

Your Barber is ripping you off! Mine gives combs to me for free!

I actually used the comb to check for ticks on my dog a few times, (and cleaned it off before returning to my pocket). The fork came in handy for a work lunch where my order was missing a disposable fork and due to covid restrictions they hid away all the lunchroom cutlery.

I've actually done both of these with my Beer & Sausage. I've actually used the comb on my Beer & Sausage far more often than I thought I would, almost as often as I use the blade. I don't have a beard any more, but I have to wear a helmet for work, and I need to look presentable afterwards, so a pocket sized comb is very useful.

I don't care for the blade shape or the mark on the blade, but green micarta is my favorite handle material, and I like the lanyard hole, so I may try to get one.

I'm not sure what to think about this GEC 15. I've only had a beard once in my life a few years back but I looked like a skunk....white - grey under my nose and lips! LOL. I have had a solid mustache most of my life. Not sure I need a comb for it; a hot shower seems to settle it down. I have a similar comb on a dog groomers slip joint. The steele is very different than what I'd expect in a knife blade. It has a little whistle on the lanyard too. You could use this new GEC 15 on dogs, mustaches, and even beards no matter where you live or work.
IMG_7011.jpg IMG_7010.jpg

I'm not sure what to think about this GEC 15. I've only had a beard once in my life a few years back but I looked like a skunk....white - grey under my nose and lips! LOL. I have had a solid mustache most of my life. Not sure I need a comb for it; a hot shower seems to settle it down. I have a similar comb on a dog groomers slip joint. The steele is very different than what I'd expect in a knife blade. It has a little whistle on the lanyard too. You could use this new GEC 15 on dogs, mustaches, and even beards no matter where you live or work.
View attachment 1505106 View attachment 1505107
I’ve got one of those! It’s alright but no where near as nice as a GEC. I found I don’t carry it much because then I still need to carry a knife.

Your Barber is ripping you off! Mine gives combs to me for free!

I've actually done both of these with my Beer & Sausage. I've actually used the comb on my Beer & Sausage far more often than I thought I would, almost as often as I use the blade. I don't have a beard any more, but I have to wear a helmet for work, and I need to look presentable afterwards, so a pocket sized comb is very useful.

I don't care for the blade shape or the mark on the blade, but green micarta is my favorite handle material, and I like the lanyard hole, so I may try to get one.

With all the mask wearing, my beard gets all out of sorts, the comb has come in handy to fix it up a bit. Also coming from -40celcius it gets all the ice off rather than waiting for it to melt all down the front of my shirt, lol!

That was the biggest issue for me with the B&S, I had to basically push the comb closed.

I have two B&S, one closes without being pushed, but the other two blades have a very weak pull/action. My bone B&S comb has a action I would call “mushy”, it’s needed to be manually pushed closed, where the other 2 blades have a strong pull and snap. I think because it’s such a small spring/blade there is a trade off.

I’m excited for these and ignore the hate talk. Ultimately, if I like something, I don’t care what anyone else thinks.

The B&S is one of my most favorite carry's. As I noted in the B&S thread a while back, the comb is great for beard people after you take off the ole Covid mask (as spyderg noted).

I use the knife and the comb the most on the B&S. I regularly carry an SAK so the cap lifter isn’t really a need and the fork is a bit of an oddity - I had to intentionally use the fork just to use it, never because I needed it.

I think this Urban Jack will be of more use for me as long as the comb is done well. A larger blade will certainly be nice. Time will tell, but I’m excited to find out.

I did as well. I will admit thought that of the four beer and sausage knives I had. Only one of them had sloppy action.

Back