2021 GEC 83 Tascosa Lock Back

Been fiddling and thinking about this knife since I got it Saturday, and I have to say I’m a little “on the fence.” I like this knife, the size is great, and although the covers aren’t the Micarta I thought they were going to be when I reserved it, they are attractive and I like the particular ones I received. However, I do have a few things on which I would like your opinions. First, and it took me a while to figure out what was off for me, but does anyone think that this would look better with a satin bolster and shield to match the blade? Or is it just me? And then there’s “the gap.”
View attachment 1586759 I know from reading this thread that this has been discussed, but I wonder as more and more of us are receiving this knife, does this bother anyone else? If so, is it a deal breaker, something you will live with, or is it a “nothing burger?” Thanks.
Todd
My jigged bone version also has the Gap but I am just ignoring it . I got 2 of them and both latch tight and release smoothly and to me , that is more important . I do think that GEC should have seen the Gap as a possible issue when they designed it . My older ones do not have the Gap , but one of them did not release the latch properly until I worked with it a lot .

Harry

I do think that GEC should have seen the Gap as a possible issue when they designed it .
Just reading about ‘the gap’ tonight. I don’t like it. It looks like a mistake to me. Curious to hear from someone more knowledgeable if this was an easy fix (e.g. new covers with a more shallow cutout) or if the cutout is that deep because the depth is needed to unlock the knife?

My jigged bone version also has the Gap but I am just ignoring it . I got 2 of them and both latch tight and release smoothly and to me , that is more important . I do think that GEC should have seen the Gap as a possible issue when they designed it . My older ones do not have the Gap , but one of them did not release the latch properly until I worked with it a lot .

Harry
I had to dig out the 2015 blood orange bone 83 to look but you are correct it does not have the "gap". I can't attest to an issue with release issues as it has been resting in the tube. I have a dozen or so GEC's I use and a bunch I "collect" (to what end I have no freaking clue). My thinking is the guys at GEC could explain why this run has the change. I'm going to assume there is a reason and not worry about it. I got the Bocote and the bone variation is on the way. One of the three is likely to end up seeing use. If I was to urge GEC to work on solving a problem it would be how to meet demand without losing quality. Getting two variations of a run these days is like winning the lottery if you don't live on your computer.

I've read enough of the concerns in the past with regards to GEC's lockbacks to come to the conclusion that it simply is not a specialty of theirs. I think the last time they did a lockback was the last run of 99s and the same concerns were brought then as well. I don't think there is an explanation other than they don't do a lot of them and it isn't something they do particularly well - compared to other firms that make them.
Thanks for your thoughts Dylan. 👍

Harry
Thanks Harry, I think I need to just ignore it too because it is an otherwise nice knife. That said, I’m likely done with the GEC lock backs until they figure it out.
Just reading about ‘the gap’ tonight. I don’t like it. It looks like a mistake to me. Curious to hear from someone more knowledgeable if this was an easy fix (e.g. new covers with a more shallow cutout) or if the cutout is that deep because the depth is needed to unlock the knife?
I think so too Walleye. I guess we live and learn! 😉👍
I had to dig out the 2015 blood orange bone 83 to look but you are correct it does not have the "gap". I can't attest to an issue with release issues as it has been resting in the tube. I have a dozen or so GEC's I use and a bunch I "collect" (to what end I have no freaking clue). My thinking is the guys at GEC could explain why this run has the change. I'm going to assume there is a reason and not worry about it. I got the Bocote and the bone variation is on the way. One of the three is likely to end up seeing use. If I was to urge GEC to work on solving a problem it would be how to meet demand without losing quality. Getting two variations of a run these days is like winning the lottery if you don't live on your computer.
Very true Danny. 👍

Got my bocote today. Straight grained, yet vibrant which is nice. I thought i understood the size of these knives, i guess i didnt comprehend the thinness. Wow, this thing is slim (which is fine).

About the gap, so far, i really dont have a care. Maybe they had complaints in the past about needing a larger indention, who knows, it doesnt bother me too much. But…. If it didnt have this much blade play, i might be more critical in other areas.

Seems to be common enough they ought to bring in someone with lockback experience to help them figure this out. Im glad this is a small, light use knife.

i look forward to my dark brew which is en route

I got a real nice one, with light and dark contrasting wood grain.

4V6vBAZ.jpg

wigg4yf.jpg
Hey where'd those shells come from? Nice one Jeff.

These 2 came in today : Both pretty nice knives . Top one is for a Son-In-Law and the other one is mine .

Closer look at mine .

Harry
I thought I'd prefer the stag, but now I really think the jigged bone is the winner from this run. I'm sure your son-in-law will be very happy with his gift.

I thought I'd prefer the stag, but now I really think the jigged bone is the winner from this run. I'm sure your son-in-law will be very happy with his gift.
IMHO : If you can get a STAG , get it . I have 2 of the older ones or I would be after a new one . I look forward to see you posting a Stag my friend .

Harry

Back