2021 Summer Kitchen Kith New Deadline: August 29

Willie71, did you get my email? I saw your address in one of your profile comments, but wanted to make sure it went through to you OK!
I’ll look through my emails and check.

Ok, so I went through the thread, and these are the ones I saw that were completed:

FredyCro
Nick-D
Justin W
Taz
Hubert S.
Storm (messaged me yesterday, he’s busy with storm repair on his house, but has a finished blade.)
Kevin KT Knives
Daniel Carraher
imill3567

My knife isn’t done yet, but Hubert asked to have me send him my knife when I finish, to increase the number of people contributing, and I agreed. I have a nice 26c3 blade with hamon almost ready for handle, and I’m off the rest of this week, and for a week in September. I have some home maintenance to finish, then I can get this finished up for him.

Please let me know if I missed anyone. Can everyone either e-mail or message me their shipping info, including real name, address, and phone number, to wjkrywko at gmail dot com, or through the private message function on the forum. I did a tentative draw, but can adjust things if I missed anyone. Once I get the mailing info for everyone, you will be notified of who you are sending your knife to. I will set up a new thread for posting pictures of received knives. Please don’t tell anyone who you are sending your knife to, as the surprise is part of the fun.

Please let me know if you want private or public feedback on your knife. I will let your recipient know what you prefer.

Again a huge thank you to Hubert S. He kept this Kith going with me being mostly absent due to work being way busier than expected. This week is my first real break from more than full time in over a year. I had a little bit of time last month, but that got eaten up by car repairs and other life setbacks.

I'm not trying to diss anyone here. When I started I think the dollar amount was $250 minimum. I didn't realize that things were different. I'm sure most people are pretty humble when they try to put a dollar amount on their work. So long as the heat treatment and grind is professional (with Larrins work that isn't hard) then it comes down to being a well built knife. What an hobby builders lack is a market to charge the price. You are building handmade knives as a one off. Look at production knives and if yours are cheaper you are undervaluing your work so long as yours is just as good. Look at the for sale section and you will see amazing knives built for cost. There used to be guys who are professional who wanted to take part and I was basically just checking if there was anyway to breathe some life into this and get some if the old timers back. Unless some of them perk up it doesn't seem like it. I think everyone is on the same page that it's cool for fun but dropping a bunch of cash and extra time just isn't in the cards unless you are for sure going to get the same thing. I think probably if it was going to be done it would need to be by invite. It's not like I am all that great but I'm good enough to build a solid big knife out of nice steel and I do have the equipment.

For the record I think the knives in this one are really nice and it made me want to be apart of it. I have been on the fence but I will have some knives done tonight and will have one or two that someone is cool to have if they like. They are simple cheap blades. I'm not bragging on my stuff in anyway.

Sent you an email now, thanks Warren. We are back down to level 3 so I think I should be able to post, just may take some time to clear the country. As such I don't mind if my knife is sent late also.

Cheers fellas. This has been great fun. Whoever gets my knife feel free to post up feedback on here.

nlqM23w.jpg
nYuPxTW.jpg
Ix6CpWY.jpg
7rd7Zgl.jpg

Well I have a place holder. The upside is that whomever gets mine can pick their handle material. Besides the other blade was heat treated by Willie71 Willie71 and it's the best I have found on 15n20. I was using Lignum Vitae for the first time ever. I thought the wood felt light and looked plain but I have been wanting to play with it. I gave it some heat to cure the epoxy and I have never felt so oily of a wood. It's mine blowing and looks way more interesting than I thought. I can't believe it's so cheap. If someone really wants this one they can have it but I would rather give them a better knife.

I'm bummed I missed this thread until now. I would have enjoyed the process regardless of what came back in the mail. It would have been handmade by someone. That in and of itself would have been cool.

I'm going camping for a few days over the holiday. I can send the knife out when I get back. Who ever gets mine can pick either the one I got done or can chose the other and I will put the handle on it. I would prefer that one because Willie did the heat treatment and it's better. Not that the other is bad but Willie can squeeze an extra bit of love out of steel and it's enough to notice. The one that's done I had a bit of fun with and worked on more convex than I usually do and I'm pretty happy with how well it cuts. It feels nice in the hand if you don't mind a kinda flashy style. If you want to ask about anything my number is 360.305.6225

I'll be taking part in the next kitchen knife one, haven't up until this point because I only wanted to pass on high quality work. I'm ready now, and can safely rest assured knowing that whoever gets one of mine will have a high grade tool. I know lots of up and coming makers like to take part too early sometimes, in hope of learning and getting pointers. That's great I would love the tips and help. I just didn't want to pass sub par "decent enough" work around, I waited until I can pass something around that people will spend big money on.

I'm going camping for a few days over the holiday. I can send the knife out when I get back. Who ever gets mine can pick either the one I got done or can chose the other and I will put the handle on it. I would prefer that one because Willie did the heat treatment and it's better. Not that the other is bad but Willie can squeeze an extra bit of love out of steel and it's enough to notice. The one that's done I had a bit of fun with and worked on more convex than I usually do and I'm pretty happy with how well it cuts. It feels nice in the hand if you don't mind a kinda flashy style. If you want to ask about anything my number is 360.305.6225
Enjoy your camping trip!

The recipient does not normally know who is sending them a knife, so they can't pick a knife without ruining the surprise. Probably best to just send the one you're more comfortable with.

Have exchange details gone out yet? It is always odd passing around new contact info, you never know if everything went through or blocked.

Have exchange details gone out yet? It is always odd passing around new contact info, you never know if everything went through or blocked.
No info for me either, but there is really no rush. I am away for the weekend, saya went quicky, just need to round it and go up the grits. I am remaking the pin for the 5th time 😂
ylQ6IYo.jpg

One side is thinned already.
3bayD8K.jpg

Enjoy your camping trip!

The recipient does not normally know who is sending them a knife, so they can't pick a knife without ruining the surprise. Probably best to just send the one you're more comfortable with.
Maybe things have changed over the past couple of years. I texted with the last guy before I sent my knife to him. Unless someone thinks it will rune the fun I was just going to ask them if they wanted to choose a handle. The blade is all done so it's only a couple of hours work before I send it out.

Hey everyone. I’ve been swamped. I’ll get the shipping info out tomorrow. Sorry fir the delay.
We already have put it off for a while. Take your time and don't stress we can wait. It's a holiday down here now anyway.

No info for me either, but there is really no rush. I am away for the weekend, saya went quicky, just need to round it and go up the grits. I am remaking the pin for the 5th time 😂
ylQ6IYo.jpg

One side is thinned already.
3bayD8K.jpg
good job on the tapered tang, don't see enough of that

Everyone should have their mailing info now. If you didn’t receive it, let me know.

Warren

Back