2021 Summer Kitchen Kith New Deadline: August 29

I finished mine up. Still need to get a pouch or make a saya though. AEB-L gyuto with a micarta frame and richlite handle at 62-63RC. Ok well you'll have to trust me it looks good because between this and the imgur mobile app I can't get bbcode to work.
qEeANmE.jpg

qEeANmE.jpeg

qEeANmE.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Sorry I haven’t been around much lately. We are having a mental health crisis in my neck of the woods. I’ll start a new thread tomorrow for people completed to post pics of their knives in. The. I’ll do the draw on Tuesday for the exchange.

a huge shout out to Hubert who has mode up for my poor engagement this Kith. Thank you Hubert!

Just so everyone knows. Pop's has really nice zipper cases for $5. I'm sure you can get them other places as well. If the case is making anyone drop out that is an easy option. In the past no one has been so pushy on time that you don't have time to order one. It's the knife that counts. It just needs to ship nice and look professional. I don't think there is anyone in this KITH who is going to feel ripped off if that's what they get. It's what I am doing at least. Hopefully that's not a problem.

Just so everyone knows. Pop's has really nice zipper cases for $5. I'm sure you can get them other places as well. If the case is making anyone drop out that is an easy option. In the past no one has been so pushy on time that you don't have time to order one. It's the knife that counts. It just needs to ship nice and look professional. I don't think there is anyone in this KITH who is going to feel ripped off if that's what they get. It's what I am doing at least. Hopefully that's not a problem.
I'm using a zippered pouch, the saya I made must have gotten contaminated with some grit. When I was looking for to buy a pouch, Pop's was out of the larger sizes and I got one from Amazon.

I just meant if you would be down for some horse trading if I had something special in mind. I guess JT could also probably do it.
It's probably better to have a pro do it. I figured out some settings that work well enough for my purposes in AEB-L since I mostly use that, but have had pretty mixed results with other materials and haven't spend enough time trying to figure out the right parameters for the laser. It takes a good bit of trial and error to get decent looking engravings, and I'm sure somebody who does this professionally will get better results.

I’ll have to put off the draw until tomorrow. I’m pretty tied up today.

Hey guys I was wondering if you wanted to do a KITH for fall. I don't remember ever having a big knife KITH. Would anyone be interested in a large premium knife KITH? Or just a premium knife KITH? Trying to control quality has always been an issue but I was thinking that we could agree to use premium materials. Large knives are relatively simple or at least can be. If we agreed to use only powder metal steels that must be properly heat treated and stable handle material. We could leave off the sheath to remove one part of the complexity. Even a Micarta handled 9" 3V knife should be worth something. Maybe that would make it more appealing for more established makers to participate. What do you guys think.

I personally don't have much use for a big knife and I am not sure what has been done in the past for KITH, but I do a lot of smaller EDC type knives (3-4" blades). Premium steel is less of a cost issue since the size is much less (8-9" of 1/8" steel vs 13" of 3/16"-1/4" thick steel, which is also usually wider, too). Maybe like a Gents EDC (Powder steel, stabilized wood/custom composite handles, etc?) belt knife?

Sure. I could do that. Somehow there needs to be enough value so people who make a lot of knives don't just feel like they are donating a knife. I'm not nocking anyone. I just have a simple 15n20 knife for this one. It would just be nice to get some of the old timers in.

Sure. I could do that. Somehow there needs to be enough value so people who make a lot of knives don't just feel like they are donating a knife. I'm not nocking anyone. I just have a simple 15n20 knife for this one. It would just be nice to get some of the old timers in.
I don't think its about that. People just don't have the time for it or set their priorities differently. If I earned my money with knifemaking, I am not sure I would be able to make time for KITH.

Using premium materials won't change that and it won't guarantee that you will get a nice knife either.

A lot of people show interest at first but can't make the term due to different circumstances.

There has been a thing going on for some time that the old timers would like to do it but it's just not fair when they give a $400-500 piece and they get back a practice blade. I'm not a total noob but I know I'm not at a high level either but I can put together something solid that would be worth something if I used the right stuff. This is what made me think of big knives.

If you doubt that's a thing talk to Willie71 Willie71 . He gets to hear why people drop out. It's not the only reason if course. I would like it if my knife was going to someone who told me what to improve rather just saying thanks. Not learning much is why I don't do it a lot. This one it seems like a lot of people have really tried so I'm hoping for some good feedback....or bad....well I'm not hoping about the bad but I will take it.
I don't think its about that. People just don't have the time for it or set their priorities differently. If I earned my money with knifemaking, I am not sure I would be able to make time for KITH.

Using premium materials won't change that and it won't guarantee that you will get a nice knife either.

A lot of people show interest at first but can't make the term due to different circumstances.

Hey guys I was wondering if you wanted to do a KITH for fall. I don't remember ever having a big knife KITH. Would anyone be interested in a large premium knife KITH? Or just a premium knife KITH? Trying to control quality has always been an issue but I was thinking that we could agree to use premium materials. Large knives are relatively simple or at least can be. If we agreed to use only powder metal steels that must be properly heat treated and stable handle material. We could leave off the sheath to remove one part of the complexity. Even a Micarta handled 9" 3V knife should be worth something. Maybe that would make it more appealing for more established makers to participate. What do you guys think.

Yeah I could be interested, I also think Tazs' suggestion of a premium materials smaller edc hunter etc could be a cool middle ground as well.
This will likely self select a few newer makers out due to the cost and equipment involved sorting such a knife.

My only misgivings with a large premium blade is the time it takes to finish. I'm pretty time poor so spending 4 days hand sanding out a 9 inch elmax fighter may be a step to much

There has been a thing going on for some time that the old timers would like to do it but it's just not fair when they give a $400-500 piece and they get back a practice blade. I'm not a total noob but I know I'm not at a high level either but I can put together something solid that would be worth something if I used the right stuff. This is what made me think of big knives.

If you doubt that's a thing talk to Willie71 Willie71 . He gets to hear why people drop out. It's not the only reason if course. I would like it if my knife was going to someone who told me what to improve rather just saying thanks. Not learning much is why I don't do it a lot. This one it seems like a lot of people have really tried so I'm hoping for some good feedback....or bad....well I'm not hoping about the bad but I will take it.
I know that is a thing, but as I said, using premium materials doesn't guarantee that you will also get a premium blade.

Dividing kiths and knifemakers by experience and level beforehand and defining the materials would be an option, but it would kill part of the charm imho.

Still, hats off for the good will of organizers and all the participants and I would love to be part of future kiths!

I think the "rules" have been a $100 knife built with basic materials for 3-4 I've done. I can see someone not wanting to send the next guy a $300 knife and get a $100 in return. I'd have to use $200 in billets and handle materials to feel anywhere near comfortable making a $300 knife.

Back