2021 Summer Kitchen Kith New Deadline: August 29

Good looking blades, guys!

On the topic of finished knives... Mine is not finished, and it won't be done in time. I'm gonna have to bow out. Sorry fellas!!

Sorry to hear that.

Got my blades from Jarod today, so I will be working on it this week! Thinking of red micarta bolsters and home made carbon fiber burl handles.

That sounds fancy!

Fully ground, need to do the final profile and shape out the handle.

Liking the grind
I'm not sure if it's the picture angle or the blade but it looks like where the bottom edge comes into the tip a little bit more consistent curve might be a bit better. Looks great though.

There is some nice stuff I should get going. I have a few blades. Would people like something more around 7"ish or 9-10"ish. Maybe I will post what blades I have and some handle material. Are people ok with natural stuff like cocobolo or should I go with micarta?

I'm not sure if it's the picture angle or the blade but it looks like where the bottom edge comes into the tip a little bit more consistent curve might be a bit better. Looks great though.

There is some nice stuff I should get going. I have a few blades. Would people like something more around 7"ish or 9-10"ish. Maybe I will post what blades I have and some handle material. Are people ok with natural stuff like cocobolo or should I go with micarta?
I think cocobolo and micarta are both good choices. Might just be me, but my longer knives do not get near as much use in my kitchen as the shorter ones do. As long as it's not a paring knife it's ok if it is 7" or a bit under.

Yeah, still fine tuning the edge profile a bit.
I have been there and will be again. I didn't mean to criticize. I have thought things looked great and then someone else took a look. A second set of eyes is one of the good things with a KITH.

P.S. I'm putting mine in on the last day so no one will make fun of it.

Yeah, I used them with a temp handle, see how the edge profile is and how they cut and tweak/test as needed. I like a longer flatish spot at the heel because I guillotine and glide mostly and cut a lot of veggies. I did make it a slightly more gradual curve. It looks different, but it performs well for what I cut. I got the blade tweaked and a 2nd handle built. My first of red micarta bolster, white fiber spaces, homemade carbon fiber burl and white liners on a g10 frame failed. I tried to heat the epoxy to make it cure faster and overheated it. Did a new handle with red g10 bolster and liner and carbon fiber burl and g10 frame tonight. Carbon fiber works more like g10/stabilized wood and much faster than micarta.

All finished up. Turned out pretty well, not my cleanest work, Tried a differnt glue up technique and got a small glue line, with a slight overgrind chasing symetry on the handle. Geometry is awesome and balance is neutral. Overall veryy happy for knife #12 of the ranks. Be great to get some feedback from one of you guys when you get it in hand.
ppvgaFN.jpg

qpMK11v.jpg

0LUerYV.jpg

All finished up. Turned out pretty well, not my cleanest work, Tried a differnt glue up technique and got a small glue line, with a slight overgrind chasing symetry on the handle. Geometry is awesome and balance is neutral. Overall veryy happy for knife #12 of the ranks. Be great to get some feedback from one of you guys when you get it in hand.
ppvgaFN.jpg

qpMK11v.jpg

0LUerYV.jpg
Looks great. I love the profile and the sculpting.

Ready for heat treat !( Maybe... the edge may have to be taken back some , it's about .014 now...)oops! I don't know how this post got in here! This was supposed to be in the "what's going on in your shop" thread...🤔1629572534070.jpg1629572516544.jpg1629572495069.jpg

Last edited:
I've had a bit of a setback with my knife. I pulled the blade out of the saya yesterday to engrave it and noticed three scratches almost the entire length of the blade on one side, and one scratch on the other. I never used any sandpaper while working on the saya and really don't know how any grit could have gotten in there. The scratches were pretty deep, I had to go back to 220. To add insult to injury, I cut myself pretty good while hand sanding.

My bigger issue is the Wenge handle, though. I have no idea how, but every time I go and check on the handle, there are a few small (~3-5mm) circular spots on it. They look like dried up water droplets, maybe. After I rub the handle with a cloth, they disappear, but a few days later, there are new spots on it. This has been happening repeatedly for over a month now, I really don't know what to make of it. I will try to make a new handle for it and use a zippered knife case instead of the saya.

Sounds like it's leaking oil...
You're probably right. I used Watco Danish oil and figured it would cure within a day or two. I've never worked with Wenge before. It seemed really porous, so maybe the wood absorbed a lot of oil and it did not cure and now the oil is slowly oozing out again.

Back