212 Ranger

I bet we see more 212s in the future. S30V for sure. More handle options. It's a really comfortable knife to hold. I think it will be around for a while.

The knife started out a Buck creation, cc asked for a 420 version tbat could be bought from them.
An exclusive runs 2 years.

The blue Lucite w2 steel version i believe was first. Then the limited edition 1 of 13 with Buffalo horn and W2 steel. I picked up the custom grill handle with a heat treat finish w2 steel blade the week after thanksgiving at the Xmas sale at Buck.
Then CC offers a 420 steel with phenolic,

Lucite run 250
Buffalo run 13
Grill run 2
CC run no limit

Last edited:
These also came out around the time the Blue Lucite was introduced.

The Red/Black Stripe Lucite at BCCI for the 30th Anniversary Event

42929625_10213774052007890_6873941002281811968_n.jpg

And this ridiculously beautiful David Yellowhorse, also at BCCI

Fancy-Lacy-112-FB-2017-Club-Knife-1.jpg

Those are really nice. Show you how simple I can be sometimes, when the released the blue lucite I hand no idea it was anything different I passed right by it thinking it was some rubber handled dive knife or fishing knife.:confused:o_O

Clueless

No thing wrong with the c&c one. It is the “regular” version.

The others are amazing. Great steel fantastic handles limited numbers. I was surprised I was able to get the buffalo horn one. I believe I bought the last one and think they were priced right.

Thanks to JeffO for starting a thread about it. Bringing it to my attention.

I bought it to use and I slightly modified it and really enjoy it. Especially now that I have a nice sheath for it.

Last edited:
Question. The 212 is very simular in size to the 103 skinner for my idea of a EDC fixed blade carry knife between 3-4"
Is it just the skinners blade shape that is undesirable? I kinda like that wider blade look?

It is a Classic skinner so there is very little point. It is a nice blade shape for skinning. It would make me crazy as a carry knife. No fine work. Useless for a splinter. It would be difficult to start the cuts to clean a fish or mammal. No good for stabbing. Etc.

Have you seen the 113 Ranger skinner? It is more of a drop point. Still a skinner but would be better for edc. In my eyes anyway.

https://www.buckknives.com/custom-knife/customizable-113-ranger-skinner-knife/CKS113/

Unfortunately David, The only thing you can do is buy the Bucks you like even if it’s all of them. Try them all carry them all see what you gravitate too.

Last edited:
Love this knife, but why is it called a 212 Ranger? The blade doesn't look anything like a 112 Ranger. It should be a new model under the 100 Series to keep things organized? :confused:

No thing wrong with the c&c one. It is the “regular” version.

The others are amazing. Great steel fantastic handles limited numbers. I was surprised I was able to get the buffalo horn one. I believe I bought the last one and think they were priced right.

Thanks to JeffO for starting a thread about it. Bringing it to my attention.

I bought it to use and I slightly modified it and really enjoy it. Especially now that I have a nice sheath for it.

Not a single thing wrong with it. I for one am glad buck made one you won't feel bad using. I wouldn't wanna use any of those LEs.
That new sheath looks real good.

I don’t feel bad using any good knife. That’s what they were made for. I can only enjoy owning them by carrying and using them.

With that said I do get your point.

42929625_10213774052007890_6873941002281811968_n.jpg

And this ridiculously beautiful David Yellowhorse, also at BCCI

Fancy-Lacy-112-FB-2017-Club-Knife-1.jpg
that bcci yellowstone looks the best to me. different blade shape but I like the thinner even handle shape visually. not sure how it would feel under use but sure looks good.

I went against what I planned and broke down and grabbed one of the 420hc phenolic versions....and didnt wait for any sales either.:)

I really like this smaller knife. wanted to have a user besides the lucite I have. this 420hc fits the bill. kinda wish we had a w2 version user one ...meaning lower dollars than the lucites.

yeah 212 ranger....not sure why its named a name....also not sure why the 112 is named when the 110 isnt? or was it and i just never knew its name?

110 is “The Folding Hunter “

I agree the 212 is not Ranger like at all. The Ranger 113 skinner has the 112 Ranger shaped handle.

^good point. didnt think of as a name but guess it is.

Think most of us just call it 110 Hunter. Dont know if they had a 110 Hunter then developed the 110 folding hunter i mean who knows?

317 trailblazer is called a folding hunter too though ain't it? more of a type of folder than a name but 110 is a folding locking hunter so I can accept that.

Back